Schremp to NTDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The USHR write up says it might be a temporary thing until a trade can be worked out but it definetly looks like he has played his last game with Mississauga. That said, it's also possible he could stay with the NTDP all season which probably wouldn't be the worst thing because he'll still get to play in a lot of tournaments and Ryan Suter showed that it's possible to get picked high while playing for the US team last year. It should be interesting to see what happens.

#37-#93-#27*

Charlie_Girl49 said:
and he was SO unhappy with Mississauga that he had 2 goals and an assist in this afternoon's game, and took the 1st star.... :rolleyes:
Well I would hope a young guy entering the draft does not dog it because he does not like who he's playing for. I'm sure his teammates wouldn't appreciate it.

hocscout

Shcremp

I find him going to the NTDP ironic. He was offered a spot on the team as an underager 2 years ago. He of coarse chose the OHL. For him to go to the NTDP to play with the 86` age group is below his ability. I see him moving as soon as the offer is a good one. It's his draft year so he needs to get settled soon.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Mobey said:
More blame should be placed on the Ice Dogs in my opinion. The USA U-18 Team just got really, really good.

Of course more blame should be placed on the Ice Dogs in your opinion, Mobey. After all, we are dealing with a young red-blooded American hockey player. And, of course, they can do no wrong in your always objective eyes. I wonder if you would feel the same way if say Sidney Crosby walked out on his Rimouski Oceanic teammates after they started the season 3-0. I suspect you would think differently of him since he's from Halifax, Nova Scotia instead of Fulton, New York.

I'd like to hear your reasoning why the Ice Dogs are to blame here. Perhaps you will adopt the same reasoning Schremp and his highly regarded agent Scott Norton did. The Ice Dogs won't be competitive this season, the team's goaltending won't be very good and Robbie will get beat up on a routine basis because they Ice Dogs aren't tough enough.

While it's still early in the OHL season it's obvious the Ice Dogs will be more than competitive this season. Their 3-0 start is no fluke. This is a good young team that will emerge as a competitor for an OHL championship in the next year or two. It's definitely a much better, and deeper team than the Ice Dogs team Schremp loved playing for last season.

The Ice Dogs also decided not to bring their OA goalie back for another season. Instead, they handed the reins over to David Shantz, an outstanding young goaltender who led his Junior B team to the Ontario final last year as a 16 year-old and who has started this season 3-0, with a gaa of 2.00, save percentage of .946, and 1 shutout.

I also haven't seen too many teams taking liberties with Robbie this year even though he doesn't have a meat head riding shot gun on his line.

Perhaps Schremp really has left the team because the Ice Dogs had the audacity to demand that a 17 year-old kid attend high school and graduate. For that, the Ice Dogs should definitely be blamed for Schremp and his agent's behaviour.

I'm looking forward to your response since you're obviously much closer to the situation than the rest of us living in that junior hockey hotbed of Sunny California.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
cdnhky1 said:
Of course more blame should be placed on the Ice Dogs in your opinion, Mobey. After all, we are dealing with a young red-blooded American hockey player. And, of course, they can do no wrong in your always objective eyes. I wonder if you would feel the same way if say Sidney Crosby walked out on his Rimouski Oceanic teammates after they started the season 3-0. I suspect you would think differently of him since he's from Halifax, Nova Scotia instead of Fulton, New York.

I'd like to hear your reasoning why the Ice Dogs are to blame here. Perhaps you will adopt the same reasoning Schremp and his highly regarded agent Scott Norton did. The Ice Dogs won't be competitive this season, the team's goaltending won't be very good and Robbie will get beat up on a routine basis because they Ice Dogs aren't tough enough.

While it's still early in the OHL season it's obvious the Ice Dogs will be more than competitive this season. Their 3-0 start is no fluke. This is a good young team that will emerge as a competitor for an OHL championship in the next year or two. It's definitely a much better, and deeper team than the Ice Dogs team Schremp loved playing for last season.

The Ice Dogs also decided not to bring their OA goalie back for another season. Instead, they handed the reins over to David Shantz, an outstanding young goaltender who led his Junior B team to the Ontario final last year as a 16 year-old and who has started this season 3-0, with a gaa of 2.00, save percentage of .946, and 1 shutout.

I also haven't seen too many teams taking liberties with Robbie this year even though he doesn't have a meat head riding shot gun on his line.

Perhaps Schremp really has left the team because the Ice Dogs had the audacity to demand that a 17 year-old kid attend high school and graduate. For that, the Ice Dogs should definitely be blamed for Schremp and his agent's behaviour.

I'm looking forward to your response since you're obviously much closer to the situation than the rest of us living in that junior hockey hotbed of Sunny California.

hey guys, look at me! i like to turn everything into a canada\usa issue! weeeee!

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This doesn't look good on the kid... if he's not happy, he'll leave.

I also find this to be fairly pathetic. This type of player strategy is ruining the game.

Sammy*

nomorekids said:
hey guys, look at me! i like to turn everything into a canada\usa issue! weeeee!
Well, if the guy (Mobey) rationale for virtually evey issue he takes a position on is grounded in geography, nothin wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I don't see anything about this on the Official US Hockey, Under 18 NDTP site.

Nor is there anything on the Mississauga Ice Dogs official site.

If you think about it, whats going to happen to him the following year? He goes to the NDTP to play the rest of the year, and then gets drafted. Ok, what if he doesn't crack the NHL that following year? Where does he go? He can't get a scholarship to play NCAA hockey because he's already played in the OHL. He can't play another year of NDTP because he'd be too old. He can't go down to the AHL because he'd be too young.

This sounds like Bullcrap to me.

Sea Bass

Mar 6, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Brock said:
If you think about it, whats going to happen to him the following year? He goes to the NDTP to play the rest of the year, and then gets drafted. Ok, what if he doesn't crack the NHL that following year? Where does he go? He can't get a scholarship to play NCAA hockey because he's already played in the OHL. He can't play another year of NDTP because he'd be too old. He can't go down to the AHL because he'd be too young.

Brock, if I recall correctly, if he were drafted out of the NDTP program, he in fact would be able to play in the AHL next year. According to my understanding, it's only guys drafted out of the CHL that can't play in the AHL until they're 20. College guys, USHL guys, Tier II guys, NTDP guys, they're not subject to that rule.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

hocscout

U.S. Hockey Report

Brock said:
I don't see anything about this on the Official US Hockey, Under 18 NDTP site.

Nor is there anything on the Mississauga Ice Dogs official site.

Article on the US Hockey Report. Looks like a true story to me. Anyone in Ann Arbor hear anything today?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
cdnhky1 said:

Congratulations on your ignorance, but this has nothing to do with him being American. When top players for your team, whether or not they're American or Canadian (Spezza) consistently state their unhappiness in the program, I'd tend to say that the Ice Dogs are doing something wrong, they're the one consistent factor in it.

So what if California isn't a "junior hockey hotbed." What bothers you more, that kids from California are making great strides in hockey, or that you, as a Canadian, can't hold their jock strap, but you sit behind your computer, turning everything into something it's not, like you're some scout?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Sea Bass said:
Brock, if I recall correctly, if he were drafted out of the NDTP program, he in fact would be able to play in the AHL next year. According to my understanding, it's only guys drafted out of the CHL that can't play in the AHL until they're 20. College guys, USHL guys, Tier II guys, NTDP guys, they're not subject to that rule.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

I thought that because he had played some time in the CHL, that ruined that route for him. I was under the impression that if a player plays a certain number of games in the CHL that he would then become unable to play in the AHL until the age of 20.

Maybe there is a loophole somewhere that Schremp's agent has found?

Either way, this doesn't make sense, especially for Schremp and his spot in this upcoming draft. Didn't he see what happened to his teammate Patrick O Sullivan this past season? If Schremp goes to the NTDP then he'll be playing against really inferior players. While they remain the same age, they haven't faced up to the level of talent at the CHL level. Why is Schremp taking a step backwards. Just because he wants out of Mississuaga? And what if the Ice Dogs refuse to trade him (We have seen it before with teams and players in the past). Then Schremp gets stuck playing with the Under 18's the rest of the season. That definitely is not going to look good to scouts, and his draft position will most likely fall. Was his agent tripping on acid when he thought of this master plan?

I mean, I'm a big fan of Robbie Schremp. I was incredibly impressed by his play the few times i saw him play last year. But this decision isn't looking very bright I tell ya.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Brock said:
I thought that because he had played some time in the CHL, that ruined that route for him. I was under the impression that if a player plays a certain number of games in the CHL that he would then become unable to play in the AHL until the age of 20.

Maybe there is a loophole somewhere that Schremp's agent has found?

The rule applies to a CHL player on an active roster who is drafted. If Schremp leaves the OHL and doesn't come back this season, then he's a defected player and free to sign with the team that drafts him and play in their minor league affiliate if that's what they want.

Sea Bass

Mar 6, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Stock Rocks - that's what I'd thought too.

Brock - maybe Schremp saw that O'Sullivan's position fell, but I don't think the two situations are very comparable. Schremp certainly saw that demanding a trade from the Dogs didn't hurt Spezza at all.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Mobey said:
Congratulations on your ignorance, but this has nothing to do with him being American. When top players for your team, whether or not they're American or Canadian (Spezza) consistently state their unhappiness in the program, I'd tend to say that the Ice Dogs are doing something wrong, they're the one consistent factor in it.

So what if California isn't a "junior hockey hotbed." What bothers you more, that kids from California are making great strides in hockey, or that you, as a Canadian, can't hold their jock strap, but you sit behind your computer, turning everything into something it's not, like you're some scout?

Considering that there has been a wholesale change in both management and ownership for the IceDogs, bringing up past events such as the Jason Spezza fiasco make little sense.

He is asking why is that you place the blame on the management rather than the player or his agent?

You have no idea who cndhky1 is Mobey but let me tell you this, you wouldn't have enough money even if you robbed Fort Knox to hold his jock strap. He is on a much higher level than you and just about everyone who uses this message board Mobey.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
VOB said:
Considering that there has been a wholesale change in both management and ownership for the IceDogs, bringing up past events such as the Jason Spezza fiasco make little sense.

He is asking why is that you place the blame on the management rather than the player or his agent?

You have no idea who cndhky1 is Mobey but let me tell you this, you wouldn't have enough money even if you robbed Fort Knox to hold his jock strap. He is on a much higher level than you and just about everyone who uses this message board Mobey.

oh, please.
hockey's future scene points?
give me a break. your pal made a cheesy argument. i don't care who he is. if his credibility is as substantial as you'd suggest, then he should know better than to quickly assume that Mobey was making a statement based solely on the nationality of Robbie Schremp.
Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Sea Bass said:
Stock Rocks - that's what I'd thought too.

Brock - maybe Schremp saw that O'Sullivan's position fell, but I don't think the two situations are very comparable. Schremp certainly saw that demanding a trade from the Dogs didn't hurt Spezza at all.

But on the contrary, Spezza was in a much different situation than Schremp. Spezza played on the worst team in the league and historically one of the worst teams in CHL history. He wanted to play for a winning team. Schremp is playing for a winning team. A team that made the playoffs last year.

And IMO O Sullivan's situation or excuse was much better than Schremp's actually, if you were to compare the situations. O Sullivan left to get his head straight. He was experiencing some serious trauma in his personal life and went home in order to sort things out. Schremp has left for reason which appear to be personally motivated in that he just doesn't want to play for the Ice Dogs anymore.

Sea Bass

Mar 6, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Brock, good points. Sure, Mississauga is better now than when Spezza played there, but I still don't think that NHL GMs are going to look down on Schremp because he wants out of there.

The team's record may be better, but new ownership notwithstanding, the organization is still very unstable. Wanting to distance oneself from that team is probably going to be understood by most.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
oh, please.
hockey's future scene points?
give me a break. your pal made a cheesy argument. i don't care who he is. if his credibility is as substantial as you'd suggest, then he should know better than to quickly assume that Mobey was making a statement based solely on the nationality of Robbie Schremp.
Sheesh. :rolleyes:

cdnhky1 shouldn't have jumped on Mobey and assumed he was biased, but it has nothing to do with his actual argument. Mobey sided with Schremp (without giving any reasons why), and cdnhky1 disagreed and explained why.

reasons Schremp and agent gave (as per cdnhky1*):
1) "the Ice Dogs won't be competitive this season"
2) "the team's goaltending won't be very good"
3) "Robbie will get beat up on a routine basis because they Ice Dogs aren't tough enough"

* working on the assumption that these are the reasons Schremp and his agent gave--cdnhky1 has proven reliable in the past in such matters.

cdnhky1's refutations of reasons:
1) "While it's still early in the OHL season it's obvious the Ice Dogs will be more than competitive this season. Their 3-0 start is no fluke. This is a good young team that will emerge as a competitor for an OHL championship in the next year or two. It's definitely a much better, and deeper team than the Ice Dogs team Schremp loved playing for last season."
2) "The Ice Dogs also decided not to bring their OA goalie back for another season. Instead, they handed the reins over to David Shantz, an outstanding young goaltender who led his Junior B team to the Ontario final last year as a 16 year-old and who has started this season 3-0, with a gaa of 2.00, save percentage of .946, and 1 shutout."
3) "I also haven't seen too many teams taking liberties with Robbie this year even though he doesn't have a meat head riding shot gun on his line."

cdnhk1 offers a possible reason why Schremp wants out:
"Perhaps Schremp really has left the team because the Ice Dogs had the audacity to demand that a 17 year-old kid attend high school and graduate. For that, the Ice Dogs should definitely be blamed for Schremp and his agent's behaviour."

Seems like a pretty solid argument to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad