Schremp on Team Canada. Well maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I know that this will never happen in 100 years given the depth Team Canada has always had and more pertinantly at this winter's WJC. But I was thinking of this scenario and I figured I'd share it just for kicks.

Remember how a young Brett Hull (Canadian born) wasn't good enough in his early days to play for Team Canada. So when Team USA called him and offered him a spot, he said "sure why not, I might as well take this opportunity". And Hull went on to have a very productive career both in the NHL and on the international scene.

Similarly a young Adam Deadmarsh (born in Canada) was also ignored by Team Canada and Team USA offered him a spot and he eventually went on and represented the States in a gold medal performance at the 96 World Cup.

Well Rob Schremp (who as everyone knows is extremely talented) is being ignored by Team USA for a second year in a row. I was just thinking that if Canada actualy felt a need for his skills, they could always offer him a spot on the WJC team... and Schremp would likely take it as he is a kid full of attitude and he must be upset about USA always dismissing him. The tables could be turned with this all-world skill kid.

But I know... Canada already has plenty of depth and will already be fielding a Dream team in December without Schremp. And given the unbelievable talent pool Canadian selection teams are blesssed with, there will never be a need to dip into another country's pool.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
You do realise that they can't simply offer spots to anyone they want don't you? Hull and others in his situation played for the USA because they had US-born parents and so they were eligible to do so.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
You do realise that they can't simply offer spots to anyone they want don't you? Hull and others in his situation played for the USA because they had US-born parents and so they were eligible to do so.

Ok. For the sake of other posters' health and desire to not have seizures... one of us is going to have to change his avatar. And it isn't going to be me. :p:

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:

At the 98 Nagano Olympics, Canadian born players (who play in the Japanese pro-league) were dressing up for team Japan. I don't see why the same rule couldn't apply here.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
espion said:
At the 98 Nagano Olympics, Canadian born players (who play in the Japanese pro-league) were dressing up for team Japan. I don't see why the same rule couldn't apply here.

Listen, they can't just play for whatever country they want.....Schremp isn't playing for Canada.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
the only way you can play for a country in international hockey is if you have citizenship in that country. Hull and Deadmarsh both had dual citizenship and Canadians who are playing for Japan, Germany, or wherever have their citizenship in that country. So because Schremp has no Canadian citizenship he can't play for Canada. End of story.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
theredmile said:
the only way you can play for a country in international hockey is if you have citizenship in that country. Hull and Deadmarsh both had dual citizenship and Canadians who are playing for Japan, Germany, or wherever have their citizenship in that country. So because Schremp has no Canadian citizenship he can't play for Canada. End of story.

Ding ding!

To my knowledge, he hasn't even applied, so there is no way he will get it in time, even if he wanted to.

But Schremp doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would abandon his country like Hull or Deadmarsh did. It's one thing to chose which country you want to represent, it's another to jump ship because you got cut !

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Patrick O'Sullivan on the other hand could play for Canada if he wanted to correct? Just like Brady Murray did last year for USA and took Robbies spot! :cry:

also the poster said this is the 2nd year he might not be picked, wasnt he one of the final cuts for the 2003 WJC in his rookie season with the Ice Dogs...I remember reading on USHR that he was the only 86' they were considering that year.

f the rest of you were in his position and rejected for the 3rd straight time whenyou know you're obviously good enough, would any of you do what some said he considered last year (which isnt true) and cut all ties and refuse to ever play for any team usa ever again? I know if i was in that position I would have to consider it...but then again sportsmanship was never my thing :)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it isn't limited to just dual citizenship, they also have the grandfather rule which basically makes you eligible to play for the countries that your parents or grandparents are citizens of...

that is how kolzig plays for germany, he was born in south africa and grew up in canada, but his grandfather is from germany so he is eligible to play there...

but there has to be some citizenship connection somewhere, you can't just randomly pick players.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
espion said:

i don't know who the specific players were but there had to be some connection to japan citizenship...for example one of paul kariya's parents are japanese so he would have been eligible to play for japan. so anyone in his situation that wasn't good enough to play for canada could have played for japan.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Patrick O'Sullivan on the other hand could play for Canada if he wanted to correct? Just like Brady Murray did last year for USA and took Robbies spot! :cry:

o'sullivan might have had the option in the past but now that he has played for USA at the WJC in the past he is committed to them in all future IIHF sanctioned competitions...for the guys that have options, once you represent a country that is your country. that is why nabokov can't play for russia, nedved can't play for the czech republic, etc...

he could play for canada in the world cup if he wants cause that isn't an IIHF event, but as far as WJC, World Championships and Olympics go, he can only play for USA.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
NYR469 said:
o'sullivan might have had the option in the past but now that he has played for USA at the WJC in the past he is committed to them in all future IIHF sanctioned competitions...for the guys that have options, once you represent a country that is your country. that is why nabokov can't play for russia, nedved can't play for the czech republic, etc...

he could play for canada in the world cup if he wants cause that isn't an IIHF event, but as far as WJC, World Championships and Olympics go, he can only play for USA.

O'sullivan can play for Canada if he want. But if he does, he is can't return to USA.

The rule is : You can change your team one time... but only ONE TIME...

Mountain Dude

Mobey said:
Listen, they can't just play for whatever country they want.....Schremp isn't playing for Canada.

Yes actually they can, as long as they have citizenship.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I didn't think it was for certain that Shremp wouldn't play for USA. They've only
selected their first twelve.Can't he still make the team or has it been stated that
he wouldn't be selected?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pei fan said:
I didn't think it was for certain that Shremp wouldn't play for USA. They've only
selected their first twelve.Can't he still make the team or has it been stated that
he wouldn't be selected?

he could still make the team, final roster isn't set yet

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
espion said:
I know that this will never happen in 100 years given the depth Team Canada has always had and more pertinantly at this winter's WJC. But I was thinking of this scenario and I figured I'd share it just for kicks.

Remember how a young Brett Hull (Canadian born) wasn't good enough in his early days to play for Team Canada. So when Team USA called him and offered him a spot, he said "sure why not, I might as well take this opportunity". And Hull went on to have a very productive career both in the NHL and on the international scene.

Similarly a young Adam Deadmarsh (born in Canada) was also ignored by Team Canada and Team USA offered him a spot and he eventually went on and represented the States in a gold medal performance at the 96 World Cup.

Well Rob Schremp (who as everyone knows is extremely talented) is being ignored by Team USA for a second year in a row. I was just thinking that if Canada actualy felt a need for his skills, they could always offer him a spot on the WJC team... and Schremp would likely take it as he is a kid full of attitude and he must be upset about USA always dismissing him. The tables could be turned with this all-world skill kid.

But I know... Canada already has plenty of depth and will already be fielding a Dream team in December without Schremp. And given the unbelievable talent pool Canadian selection teams are blesssed with, there will never be a need to dip into another country's pool.

Brett Hull was actually born in the US while his father was playing hockey there, in Chicago I believe. That automatically made him a US citizen first and because his parents were Canadian (father for sure) he was given Canadian citizenship, in effect dual citizenship.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
deadmarsh and hull's mothers are american. o'sullivan's mother is not only american, but it's his FATHER that is canadian, and i don't see him doing anything to make daddy proud. schremp can't\won't play for Canada.

bcimright

Jul 25, 2004
The final roster hasn't been made for team USA yet and I wouldnt rule him out of the spots that remain. I was able to get to the WJC evaluation camp for a few days and see the boys play a bit and Schremp looked pretty darn good. He was passing well, skating well, was all over the plays. He didn't score but he got three assists I think. I thought he did a pretty good job, I'll be disappointed if he's not included in the final spots. I don't even the coach having to cut down this roster tho...

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
NYR469 said:
it isn't limited to just dual citizenship, they also have the grandfather rule which basically makes you eligible to play for the countries that your parents or grandparents are citizens of...

that is how kolzig plays for germany, he was born in south africa and grew up in canada, but his grandfather is from germany so he is eligible to play there...

but there has to be some citizenship connection somewhere, you can't just randomly pick players.

Not really... some countries have more lax rules when it comes to gaining citizenship. I beleive Scotland you only need one of your grandparents, same with Italy.

Some other countries have tougher rules when it comes to gaining citizenship, but in all cases, you need to have citizenship in the country you wish to represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->