Confirmed with Link: Schmidt given 2yr deal

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd like to know what kind of offer the Knights made to him prior to going all the way.

Someone mentioned that perhaps the team wanted to go to arbitration to show that they would go all the way to keep players from asking for the world in negotiations in the future.

Either way, it looks like we're good. Hopefully he has a great year and they start working to extend him this time next year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-to-receive-4-45-million-after-arbiter-rules/

First arbitration award since 2015 (IOW all players/teams came to agreement before arbitrator awarded).

The 26-year-old restricted free agent defenseman went to binding arbitration Thursday and on Saturday was awarded $2.15 million for the upcoming season and $2.3 million for 2018-19 after both sides were unable to reach their own deal.

Schmidt originally asked for $2.75 million for one season while the Knights countered with two years with a total of $1.9 million. Schmidt made $875,000 last season as a member of the Washington Capitals and had three goals and 14 assists in 60 games.

As Schmidt filed, Knights took the option of getting two year award. (He/they who is filed upon gets to select the length - one or two years - up to the age player would be UFA.)

TeamBandWagon

Sep 28, 2015
Wow, good for Schmidty. Didn't think it's be that much, but it's a contract he'll have no problem playing or exceeding IMHO. If he does well the next 2 yrs...pay day.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Still I would have liked someone in addition to Smith signed longer than 2 years. Obviously there's Theodore as well.

But why? Just be patient. :)
Our biggest asset right now is cap space and the flexibility to make roster moves without being handcuffed by long-term deals. I have no doubt in my mind that if Schmidt plays as well as we think he will, he'll get a huge extension next summer (5 or 6 years). We just need to shed all of the expiring contracts and see which RFA's are worth re-signing next off-season. I trust McPhee on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->