GDT: Schedule/Reservations

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Grabbing game one... don't let me monopolize these, y'all, plenty of GDTs to go around!

Hey, question: Do you exclusively use Photoshop to make your graphics? And do you have any tips for making them? I know the program relatively well and use it for my work, but I've never tried making a GDT with it. I would like to make one for game 3 or 4 but I could use a bit of guidance.

This question goes for Mika or anyone who's made them before.

Cheers.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey, question: Do you exclusively use Photoshop to make your graphics? And do you have any tips for making them? I know the program relatively well and use it for my work, but I've never tried making a GDT with it. I would like to make one for game 3 or 4 but I could use a bit of guidance.

This question goes for Mika or anyone who's made them before.

Cheers.

I use Photoshop exclusively, yeah. My starting canvas is 800 pixels wide by however tall I need it to be — if memory serves, anything wider than 1,000 gets shrunk down automatically, so I play it extra safe. I set slices of 800px x 450px and stack them one on top of the other. You can also do 400px x 450px and put two per row, but I found those don't render right on mobile.

As far as tips go, my big ones would be these:
  • Subtle things like font changes can make a big difference. If you take a look at my last three GDTs, they all use a similar layout, but the font is what sort of sets them apart from one another. Experiment with using different weights and styles of fonts if you can (i.e., condensed vs. bold vs. light vs. italics.)
  • Along those lines, try to stick to two or three fonts. Any more than that and it starts looking too busy.
  • Transparency is your friend! It looks a bit blah and empty when you're creating it, but looks pretty cool when all is said and done.
  • I tend to keep my GDTs somewhat formulaic — basic stats on the team, sometimes basic player stats, lineups. When you're using a graphical interface though, there's really no wrong way to do it — and you get a ton more freedom.
  • When laying text over an image, white text with a black stroke can be seen over most backgrounds. Also, don't underestimate the power of transparency or of laying a semi-transparent box over the image you're using as a background.
  • When finding images, I use Google Images and set the size to "Large." I assume you already know this if you're using Photoshop for your job, but it's a lot easier to make a bigger image small while still looking good than it is to make a small image big.

I'll let MZ give you pointers on GIFs. I'm still pretty new to that world and mine are nowhere near as crisp as his are.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
For me i just create a layout through lines if you just look at my graphics, after that I just free style to what looks good to me. I usually keep it in the theme of red just because of the team, sometimes i will use our colours and the colour of the other team. My stuff is a little harder to mimic because its really grungy and all over the place.

For size I make several images all being placed vertically below each other, each image is close to two times the size horizontal than it is vertical.

For gifs ill let this guy explain

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm on a tough deadline right now, but I'll probably have more free time this weekend so I can get started on doing something for tuesday or thursday.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Won't have time to make a new GDT for games 6 or 7(should it get there), but worst comes to shove I could always reuse the same Guardians template with the necessary changes. Let me know DATW.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hey guys, I won't be able to make the GDT for game 2. Came down with a virus so I'll probably be crashing early. Apologies. Hopefully DAWT can whip something quick up? I'll see if I can make one for game 3 or 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad