Scariest Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Darz said:
How about Gretzky and Lemieux on the '87 Canada Cup team. That had to be a duo who put some fear into the opposition.

Agree this is clearly the winner. Imagine if somehow the Oilers had got Lemieux in the draft. And he played on a line with Gretzky and Kurri from say 84-85 through 93-94 for a good ten years. Would Lemieux have topped 100 goals with Gretzky setting him up? Would Gretzky have got 250 points? Would the Oilers have gotten over 500 goals in a season?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Outright scariest?

Clarke-Barber. In 1975-76 combined for 233pts and 240PIM. They'd beat you to a pulp and score all over you. I know I'd want to go hide.

Though, in the less literal sense, I have to add another vote Trottier-Bossy and Gretzky-Kurri.

vcx*

I don't think they played much together but i would say Lemieux & Jagr. Or how about Lemieux in the 80's and early 90's and any winger.

A close second is Gretzky and JK.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
PK said:
Many duos from the 50s-60s Habs could be mentionned.

Maurice Richard - Bernie Geoffrion
Maurice Richard - Jean Béliveau

The real answer for Richard is:

Elmer Lach - Maurice Richard

I believe they both retired as the all-time NHL leaders in assists and goals, respectively.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Seph said:
Outright scariest?

Clarke-Barber. In 1975-76 combined for 233pts and 240PIM. They'd beat you to a pulp and score all over you. I know I'd want to go hide.

Though, in the less literal sense, I have to add another vote Trottier-Bossy and Gretzky-Kurri.

In that vein I'd lean more towards Howe and Lindsay. The two of them spent a lot of time on the top 5 scorer and top 10 PIM leader lists.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Aki Berg and Vitali Proshkin, one one is in the NHL the other is in the RSL and vice versa. For the psychological safety of the world, let us hope the two never play together.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Why duos? Why not lines?

Soviet Union used to have some great lines during its heydey. Here are some:

Kharlamov - Petrov - Mikhailov (the best and most productive)

Krutov - Larionov - Makarov (might have been more skilled than the Petrov line but didn't produce as much and didn't last as long. Still the second best line in hockey history after the Petrov line)

Almetov - Alexandrov - Loktev (The best line in the Soviet union in the early 60's)

E.Mayorov - Starshinov - B.Mayorov (The other great Soviet line of the early 60's).

Firsov - Maltsev - Vikulov (Didn't last long but dominated when played together)

Yakushev - Shadrin - Shalimov (The feared Spartak line of the 1970's).

Kapustin - Zhluktov - Balderis (Could have been the best line in the world in the late 1970's, but this line didnt last more than a couple of seasons)

Lebedev - Bodunov - Anisin (The best line the Soviet Wings ever had. Played together for a whole decade (from 1971 to 1981). Also played as a line in the 1972 Summit Series.

Kapustin - Shepelev - Shalimov (The famous Spartak line of the early and mid 1980's. Was a key factor in the 1981 Canada Cup win).

Lavrentyev - Tyumenev - Kozhevnikov (The other good Spartak line of the 1980's. Kozhevnikov was a two time olympic champion and a member of the 1984 Canada Cup team as was Tyumenev. Tyumenev also won the 1979 Challence Cup.).

Yashin - Semenov - Svetlov (The most profilic line of the Dynamo Moscow of the 1980's. Played together in two Canada Cups (1984 and 1987)).

Varnakov - Kovin - Skvortsov (The best line of the Torpedo Gorky history. Played together in two Canada Cups (1976 and 1984) and in the 1979 Challence Cup where they excelled. Skvortsov was also a part of the 1981 Canada Cup team.

Kamensky - Bykov - Khomutov (Formed a great second line for the CSKA Moscow from mid to late 1980's).

Khmylev - Nemchinoc - Priakhin (The best line the Soviet Wings had in the 1980's).

Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny (They didn't last long as a line, but were pure magic).

Zelepukin - Titov - Kvartalnov (A solid Khimik line from the mid 1980's to early 1990's).

Nikolishin - Yashin - Kovalev (Didn't last long, but played very good together in Dynamo for a couple of years).

Cyclops II*

Seph said:
Outright scariest?

They didn't scare Montreal. Pierre Bouchard could beat up anyone on Philly.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seph said:
Outright scariest?

Neither were fighters .... and the other member of the line that year: Reggie Leach with 61 goals during the regular season and 19 more in the playoffs. He became the first to ever score 80.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Scariest duo? Literally Kocur & Probert.

What also came to mind was the combination from Canada Cup: Gretzky-Lemieux. I do not think you can top that.
From NHL take either one and their sidekick (like Jagr or Kurri). Adam Oates and Brett Hull was a good one, too. Today's NHL I would say Heatley-Spezza.

Selanne & Housley, anyone? :yo:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Neither were fighters .... and the other member of the line that year: Reggie Leach with 61 goals during the regular season and 19 more in the playoffs. He became the first to ever score 80.
It's not their fists that concern me. The case could of course have been made for Clarke Leach also, I just used Barber because it bumped up the numbers higher. But really, that line in general was just downright scary.

Though I agree that Howe Lindsay probably was a better answer. Clarke-Barber just sprung to mind first.

Ogopogo*

Fujifuu said:
Done before? but what I mean by scariest duo as in the most deadly when it came to scoring, of course as an oiler fan I'd have to say Gretzky-Kurri :handclap: Lemieux-Jagr? (did they even play on the same line?)

Anyways, I'm not as knowledgable about the history of the nhl as many of you, so share thoughts.

Orr and Esposito. Without question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->