Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Add those links all you want, I currently live in Montreal as an anglophone from Nova Scotia who came from Toronto for work.

1) my after tax income is 20% lower
2) my girlfriend can't move here due to not knowing french
3) you don't truly feel welcome as an anglophone and it wears on you having to apologize for not knowing the language

Take it from someone who wasn't born in Montreal and is living here now, my long term doesn't include this city.

That has to be one of the dumbest, most uneducated statements ever heard made about montreal. I take it you haven't travelled a lot. Do you think its easier for a french\mandarin\german speaking person to live in nova scotia ? If you think its hard on english speaking people here in montreal then why is it one of the most culturally diverse city in north america? Dont you think that might be attractive to some ? If you dont feel welcomed here you wont feel welcomed anywhere. Those BS statements need to stop. Its one thing to feel like you feel, which i totally respect and feel sorry for, but its ludicrous to portray your experience like its the truth for everyone.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am from Nova Scotia as well. How did you learn french so well? Are you Acadian? I am studying it in hopes of moving to Montreal some day.
Add those links all you want, I currently live in Montreal as an anglophone from Nova Scotia who came from Toronto for work.

1) my after tax income is 20% lower
2) my girlfriend can't move here due to not knowing french
3) you don't truly feel welcome as an anglophone and it wears on you having to apologize for not knowing the language

Take it from someone who wasn't born in Montreal and is living here now, my long term doesn't include this city.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Anyone wondering what star player agents will tell their clients when approached by Bergevin to sign in Montreal?

The first thing will be you'll be expected to carry the team, as they have one of the worse rosters in the NHL.

The second will be that outside of a series of miracles, the Habs won't contend for the Cup for ages.

The third thing will be the reality that in the last 2 post season pressers, Bergevin took no personal responsibility and blamed his own players for the awful team play.

The last thing will be, don't sign there, no matter what.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Anyone wondering what star player agents will tell their clients when approached by Bergevin to sign in Montreal?

The first thing will be you'll be expected to carry the team, as they have one of the worse rosters in the NHL.

The second will be that outside of a series of miracles, the Habs won't contend for the Cup for ages.

The third thing will be the reality that in the last 2 post season pressers, Bergevin took no personal responsibility and blamed his own players for the awful team play.

The last thing will be, don't sign there, no matter what.

And that's not counting how he treats contracts negociations:

- be prepared to be compared to a dog

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I am from Nova Scotia as well. How did you learn french so well? Are you Acadian? I am studying it in hopes of moving to Montreal some day.
Sorry can't help you here, I speak only English, I got here due to my ability to turn a dollar into 2 not my language skills. Certain jobs in Montreal don't require french but there rare tbh. Going to McGill though gives you a bit of a by depending on the job

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Best way to learn is to engulf yourself in to the language as best you can. It's obviously very difficult if you don't learn it from a young age but plenty of done it.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Anyone thinking Tavares will come to Montreal or instantly improve this team are delusional. There are a total of 0 qualified puck moving defense men on this team, let alone more than 1 decent back end player.

The team needs a 100% overhaul. The ship sailed 5 years ago when they were actual contenders and MB decided to start tinkering by trading for character and grinders. We were literally 1 goal scorer away from be a legitimate threat and now here we are, in the dragon's den chasing the white rabbit.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I live in Phoenix now and it's funny to read the Yotes forum and fans asking what the chance Tavares has of coming here (0.00 %).
I would think it would be a lot higher in Montreal. More to offer in every way plus I believe Montreal has cap room?
My dream scenario is Dahlin first pick to montreal and sign Tavares.
We can all dream right?

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Sorry can't help you here, I speak only English, I got here due to my ability to turn a dollar into 2 not my language skills. Certain jobs in Montreal don't require french but there rare tbh. Going to McGill though gives you a bit of a by depending on the job
I know plenty of people who have lived their whole lives in Montreal with only a basic understanding of the French language. If you like it here you will learn the language, if you don't then Toronto and Ottawa aren't far.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
There's not many teams that have the cap space and need for a centre to make a serious pitch for Tavares. Plus one would assume he wants to go to a team that has something resembling a playoff team (eliminates say Arizona, Detroit, Vancouver).

So I would Montreal, New Jersey, maybe Colorado would be top contenders.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
There's not many teams that have the cap space and need for a centre to make a serious pitch for Tavares. Plus one would assume he wants to go to a team that has something resembling a playoff team (eliminates say Arizona, Detroit, Vancouver).

San Jose and St Louis will have cap space too

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Signing both those players will definitely have us competing in the short term.
A fantastic draft this summer will allow us to keep being competitive afterwards, just like the Bruins are doing
This is a crucial year, not about the UFA signing but about the draft, we cannot f*** this up or we're back to square 1

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada

With a talent like JT on the UFA market, virtually every team will be in on him. Excepting Pittsburgh. Cap space will be found for a player of his caliber.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
San Jose and St Louis will have cap space too

Honestly not really worried about the Blues, I don't think he will want to go there. They've been struggling for a few years and what they did at the deadline will not be very attractive for other team
San Jose will have to sign Thornton, I see him going back for another year and looking at how Kane has played they might want to bring him back
Pavelski and Couture are up after next season and they will need to keep money for their raises as well
Should be a fun off season, especially if Tavares does make it to FA

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
You can be sure of 3 things concerning Tavares if he reaches UFA:

1) Habs will make an offer (probably one of the better ones)
2) Tavares will use the Habs to get more money
3) Tavares will sign elsewhere

Happens all the time (Brett Hull, Sundin...)

Reactions: King In Glory

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Tavares à Montréal?: «Il analyse de fond en comble la situation» - Bruno Gervais - 98,5 fm Montréal

« Au terme de ce souper durant lequel il a posé beaucoup de questions... Oui, les Islanders restent une option, mais il est ouvert (à un déménagement), Il analyse de fond en comble la situation. Il y a des chances qu’il change d’adresse pendant l’été. »
Gervais estime que le Canadien – ou une autre formation canadienne – pourrait avoir un avantage face aux équipes américaines intéressées aux services de Tavares.
« Il ne m'a pas posé de questions sur Montréal et les environs, mais sa femme (Aryne Fuller) est Canadienne et elle veut travailler. C'est plus compliqué pour eux aux États-Unis. C'est le seul avantage que je peux voir… »

That's mean that Tavares ask some question at Bruno Gervais, in a dinner when the Islanders was playing in Montreal,l about the city of Montreal. And he said that he's open to change place ..

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Byron**
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Shaw
Carr

Mete - Weber
Dahlin* - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Reilly Benn**

Price
Lindgren

That's a hopeful scenario, but I wouldn't doubt MTL's capacity to reach the playoffs with that lineup.

That would leave Pacioretty, McCarron, Schlemko and one of Valiev / Rychel open to being packaged for some returns at the draft.

The most interesting part of that kind of scenario is with all of the draft picks this year + last year's draftee's strong development, you could very well have a scenario within the next 2-3 years where most of the older guys on this team get traded away to make room for the Cale Fleury, Josh Brooks, Poehling, and other 1st/2nd rounders in this year's draft.

*I see Dahlin being Weber's future partner if we were to draft him, but wouldn't expose him to top minutes right away, thus why I have Mete on the first pair.

**Will be used as trade bait at the next year's TDL for draft picks to open up room for younger prospects.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Tavares à Montréal?: «Il analyse de fond en comble la situation» - Bruno Gervais - 98,5 fm Montréal

« Au terme de ce souper durant lequel il a posé beaucoup de questions... Oui, les Islanders restent une option, mais il est ouvert (à un déménagement), Il analyse de fond en comble la situation. Il y a des chances qu’il change d’adresse pendant l’été. »
Gervais estime que le Canadien – ou une autre formation canadienne – pourrait avoir un avantage face aux équipes américaines intéressées aux services de Tavares.
« Il ne m'a pas posé de questions sur Montréal et les environs, mais sa femme (Aryne Fuller) est Canadienne et elle veut travailler. C'est plus compliqué pour eux aux États-Unis. C'est le seul avantage que je peux voir… »

That's mean that Tavares ask some question at Bruno Gervais, in a dinner when the Islanders was playing in Montreal,l about the city of Montreal. And he said that he's open to change place ..
Actually, Gervais said that Tavares did NOT ask him specifically about the city of Montreal.

Reactions: CHfan1

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
How does the draft lottery work? I'm confused by it like we're at forth right now then we have a possibility of going first? Honestly how does this system work I thought we have to stay at forth cause we're at forth... Help me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad