Saw ALIU play for first time last night...

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
In person that is. Went to the Brampton-Sudbury game, that Brampton led the whole way until the last minute, then went down in a shootout.
I went specifically to check out Aliu, who impressed me in the Top Prospects game.

I understand why many scouts say he could go anywhere from the 1st to the 4th round. He's a very frustrating guy to watch out there.
Now, I will concede that this was just ONE game, and he was likely a bit down after being pumped for the top prospects game the night before.

That being said, here's my analysis:

1) Talented. No doubt about it, he's got potential. You can see he's got some moves, and a real long reach with the stick. Had a couple of golden chances he couldn't quite put away, but positionally was good in the offensive zone.

2) Big. 6'3, 209. He looks it out there, especially when he skates. Big long strides. You can see he's still growing into that big body, and sometimes looks a bit awkward.

3) Coasts. Sometimes he just stopped skating, especially on the backcheck. He doesn't keep his feet moving, and I noticed he has a disturbing habit of making long, casual turns, rather than making a quick cross-over and heading back up ice.

4) Not much Defense. He just seemed disinterested. Failed to cover his man that led to the 3rd Brampton goal. And as previously mentioned, he really takes his time getting back on D. A few times a play was broken up around the Brampton blue line, and as the play went to the other end he casually turned and made his way back.

5) Not too physical. Is he always like this? A couple of times he could have just levelled a Battalion player, but didn't bother. I'm talking head down, headed right towards him. He could have made a statement, but let them off. I had two scouts sitting a few seats over from me, and I heard one say to the other "You've gotta make that hit!"
At 6'3, I was expecting him to be a bit meaner.

Once again, this was just one game. But I focused on Aliu each shift he had, and that was my impression. Would I take him? Based on this one game, no way in the first round, maybe not the second. I would like to see more of him to make a better (and probably fairer) analysis.

You can see he has first round talent, and if properly motivated would be right up there with the top guys.
For anyone who sees him more regularly, did I just see a bad game, or is this what the drawbacks seem to be with Aliu?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
well, aliu physical package is impresive and same with his skillset..
but i also question his motivation, maybe he was tired...
anyway i would sure try to catch more game of him!

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
What current player does he most resemble?

You know, he sort of reminds me of Wolski in his draft year, but only in terms of size & style.
Wolski used to frustrate me when I'd watch him before he was drafted. He seemed disinterested at times. He didn't appear to skate all that great, but I had to keep in mind that at 6'3 you often don't have to make nearly as many strides to reach speed as many of the smaller guys do.
Wolski also scored (like Aliu) around a point per game in his draft year.
As I said though, that's only really from an appearance standpoint on the ice.
Wolski in his draft year to me had more creativity and finish.

I'd really like to hear someone from Sudbury, or a scout who's seen Aliu a few times comment on his strengths/weaknesses, since I've only seen him once in person.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I

5) Not too physical. Is he always like this? A couple of times he could have just levelled a Battalion player, but didn't bother. I'm talking head down, headed right towards him. He could have made a statement, but let them off. I had two scouts sitting a few seats over from me, and I heard one say to the other "You've gotta make that hit!"
At 6'3, I was expecting him to be a bit meaner.

Great points but this one stood out to me. As someone who frequently attends Sudbury Wolves games I understand this one. The problem with Akim, is that he is a marked man as far as the refs go, he can hardly touch anyone without being called and as such Coach Foligno has told him to lay off the physical side of the game which in turn has been effecting the total package.

As for the coasting thing, I understand, it is totally frustrating, when he does things like that he reminds me so much of Benchoit, erm... Benoit Pouliot that it is frustrating.

I have no doubts that once Aliu gets out of a league where he is a marked man he will return to his crash and bang ways :).

On the same subject the few times he does decide to hammer someone, watch out :D.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
I'm from Sudbury.. and I have been watching Aliu for about a full year now, he is a frustrating one.

He has all the tools to be great. But does not really try all that hard... he coasts around and floats unless someone gets him mad.. then he turns it up.

good player

*derbyfan - what you seen is Akim Aliu playing hockey :)

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Potential first rounder? Sounds like hes got the tools, just needs the box. How much will his run-in with Downie affect where he goes?

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Bickell works but Aliu is meaner when he wants to be. Anthony Stewart body/skill/will with Steve Downie's mind is what I feel Aliu is like. The kid is nuts, tere's no doubt about it there's something wrong with him he's freaking crazy. Which could be a good thing. He has a great skill set but it seems like someone needs to piss him off before he really tries. He's got Stewarts laziness but is better then him. If he slips into the second round he's a great flyer pick. I think he's a first rounder for sure though.

TorontoHabs90

Aug 9, 2006
Toronto
haha, Akim bought me free beer....he's awesome.

I chilled with Steve Downie one weekend, and heard his inside story on what really went down, and then a couple weekends later I was chilling with Akim and he told me his side of the story...it's rather intense.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

I chilled with Steve Downie one weekend, and heard his inside story on what really went down, and then a couple weekends later I was chilling with Akim and he told me his side of the story...it's rather intense.

either way, Downie threw the first blow(a sucker cross-check to the mouth), in practice, and Aliu simply retaliated. Still a bad situation on both sides though.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

so without asking you, what they told you..
could you tell us , who in your opinion was wrong!

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003

Actually it wasn't. The crosscheck happened because Aliu was dogging it in practice, Downie said something, Aliu replied and was hit. Then the fight ensued. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the hazing incident had nothing to do with, it was probably the source of some of the problems. But to say it was the sole cause is wrong. That gives the impression that Downie was to blame for the hazing, which may or may not be the case. He may have been involved, but he was never suspended by the league after their investigation.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Actually it wasn't. The crosscheck happened because Aliu was dogging it in practice, Downie said something, Aliu replied and was hit. Then the fight ensued. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the hazing incident had nothing to do with, it was probably the source of some of the problems. But to say it was the sole cause is wrong. That gives the impression that Downie was to blame for the hazing, which may or may not be the case. He may have been involved, but he was never suspended by the league after their investigation.

I think from what i've seen of downie (as a hockey player) wouldnt suprise me if he cross checked his teammates for no reason he seems like in need of anger management course and some medication....
He's like a more skilled version of Avery or a Stronger more physical Darcy Tucker...
either way i dont think he'll find many friends in the NHL IMO.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't get the big idea about how bad hazing is. Yes, I do realize that some folks can get carried away, but for the most part, it's harmless fun. I played high school football when I was younger and we had hazing rituals. I wouldn't consider it a bad thing. Big deal, I got my head, legs shaved and had to wear a dress for the day. From what I read about Aliu's hazing, he was put into a washroom on the back of the bus with a group of other rookies and they were naked. Not the end of the world. Yet all what we hear about is this horrible hazing incident. It's ridiculous and it's a sign of the times that political correctness has gone too far. I think people need to lighten up a bit.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think from what i've seen of downie (as a hockey player) wouldnt suprise me if he cross checked his teammates for no reason he seems like in need of anger management course and some medication....

You're an idiot if you honestly think that about Downie. I'm not going to defend his actions for what he did in practice, but this is a very skilled hockey player who is like the tazmanian devil on ice. What you fail to recognize about Downie is that the guy is a great playmaker and he always scores key goals. The guy is winner everywhere he's been and yet people say he nothing more than a skilled version of Avery or a more physical Tucker.

He's like a more skilled version of Avery or a Stronger more physical Darcy Tucker...either way i dont think he'll find many friends in the NHL IMO.

One of the funny things about Downie is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of middle ground with him. You either like Downie or hate him.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
You're an idiot if you honestly think that about Downie. I'm not going to defend his actions for what he did in practice, but this is a very skilled hockey player who is like the tazmanian devil on ice. What you fail to recognize about Downie is that the guy is a great playmaker and he always scores key goals. The guy is winner everywhere he's been and yet people say he nothing more than a skilled version of Avery or a more physical Tucker.

What the heck did he do in Windsor, other than bail on them?

You do realize what Tucker accomlished in junior hockey, right?

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I don't get the big idea about how bad hazing is. Yes, I do realize that some folks can get carried away, but for the most part, it's harmless fun. I played high school football when I was younger and we had hazing rituals. I wouldn't consider it a bad thing. Big deal, I got my head, legs shaved and had to wear a dress for the day. From what I read about Aliu's hazing, he was put into a washroom on the back of the bus with a group of other rookies and they were naked. Not the end of the world. Yet all what we hear about is this horrible hazing incident. It's ridiculous and it's a sign of the times that political correctness has gone too far. I think people need to lighten up a bit.

it's not a question of how bad/tolerable the hazing is, the point is Aliu didn't want to participate. It's his choice and his alone not to be surrounded by a bunch of naked dudes in a toilet in the back of the bus. The bad part is that the coaching staff let feelings get to such a point that one guy cross-checked another in the mouth, making him lose 2 teeth. The hazing itself is immaterial, it's the feelings resulting from it that are important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad