Saskin says give us a 100 million hard cap and we have a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

eye said:
What happened to the PA's principles? Saskin just told Jeff Marrick that if the NHL offer a 100 million hard cap that we have a deal. Isn't that hypocritical?

That doesn't seem like a comment that was made in total seriousness.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
He was quite serious. Leafs TV Ted Saskin was asked by Jeff Marrick if he would accept a hard cap of 100 million and he said "yes if the NHL offer a hard cap of 100 million we have deal". You can watch the replay later on if you don't believe me.

Go Flames Go*

Saskin is a idiot. I question his education in economics, and his research he is quickly to point out how the NBA system or the NFL does not work and the players hate them, while the NFLPA is salavating at the chance to resign the current CBA. THen he goes on to talk about how the Baseball style works, where teams are taxed over $100 million payrolls which is ridiculous. The NHLPA are not doing what is right for the players and what is right for the game, they just want to keep cashing in on big contracts, but there wont be many of them to go around with the current CBA since there is going to be potential for 6 or more teams to fold.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
He was quite serious. Leafs TV Ted Saskin was asked by Jeff Marrick if he would accept a hard cap of 100 million and he said "yes if the NHL offer a hard cap of 100 million we have deal". You can watch the replay later on if you don't believe me.

I'm sure they would probably accept a cap at 80-100 million

X0ssbar

eye said:

Alright, I prolly get flamed for this, but if we are talking long term here, like the NHL says, I think this is a statement the NHL can work with.

Stay with me here - in 20 years NHL salaries with inflation etc will reach that point for a lot of teams so I think the NHL should consider instituting a high cap. HOWEVER - the cap number should come down around 70-80 million AND there needs to be STRONG measures in place to control spending now and for the next 10 years - IE, a very, VERY strong luxury tax kicking in at 100% at 40 mill and 200% at 60 mil, etc ,etc.

In other words, this is a way to somehow get a cap in this next agreement - even if its a high unrealistic ceiling b/c the market will catch up and then institute a strict luxury tax in the interm.

Thanks god its Friday and flame away..!

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Top Shelf said:
Alright, I prolly get flamed for this, but if we are talking long term here, like the NHL says, I think this is a statement the NHL can work with.

Stay with me here - in 20 years NHL salaries with inflation etc will reach that point for a lot of teams so I think the NHL should consider instituting a high cap. HOWEVER - the cap number should come down around 70-80 million AND there needs to be STRONG measures in place to control spending now and for the next 10 years - IE, a very, VERY strong luxury tax kicking in at 100% at 40 mill and 200% at 60 mil, etc ,etc.

In other words, this is a way to somehow get a cap in this next agreement - even if its a high unrealistic ceiling b/c the market will catch up and then institute a strict luxury tax in the interm.

Thanks god its Friday and flame away..!

Ok, no flame from me... but I think youre missing the point of this whole lockout:

You institute a cap of 100 Mil per team and there wont BE an NHL in 20 years.

Get it?

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
no13matssundin said:
Ok, no flame from me... but I think youre missing the point of this whole lockout:

You institute a cap of 100 Mil per team and there wont BE an NHL in 20 years.

Get it?

Not to mention the fact its not very likely they will negotiate a 20 yr CBA. :joker:

mooseOAK*

eye said:

It is something that he knows will never happen, therefore he can't be serious in even suggesting that it might.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Actually he's just suggesting that a cap will work at $100 million because there will still be big contracts to go around.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I believe the players would likely be willing to strongly consider a $75,000,000 hard cap...

The players have maintained the entire lockout that they do not want, nor will they accept any hard cap, however every hard cap offered to them thus far has been what? $32,000,000?

I'd much rather have something to the tune of:

Minimum Salary: $27,000,000 (not sure what the punishment could be...maybe the loss of the teams first rounder in the draft...that would definitely keep teams at or above the minimum...lol It could be sacrificed to the highest paying team...lol)

Soft cap of $40,000,000, luxury tax of $.75 per dollar over
Next level, $50,000,000 luxury tax at $1.00 per dollar over
Next level, $55,000,000 luxury tax $1.50 per dollar over
Next level, $60,000,000 luxury tax at $2.00 per dollar over

In essence you'd have a true hard cap at $60,000,000 as no owner would go over that (often...I could see it in maybe the third year of a dynasty team, after earning a ton in the playoffs, giving back to the fans by keeping the team together, but how often do we have those these days?). That would severely punish any team that spent money to a great extent.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Go Flames Go said:
Saskin is a idiot. I question his education in economics, and his research he is quickly to point out how the NBA system or the NFL does not work and the players hate them, while the NFLPA is salavating at the chance to resign the current CBA. THen he goes on to talk about how the Baseball style works, where teams are taxed over $100 million payrolls which is ridiculous. The NHLPA are not doing what is right for the players and what is right for the game, they just want to keep cashing in on big contracts, but there wont be many of them to go around with the current CBA since there is going to be potential for 6 or more teams to fold.

I agree.

Yeah, baseball's system works. But after changing the soft cap numbers to reflect the market value of hockey you end up with the same system kicking in at $40 million.

This guy's mouth is going to end up ruining the players' position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad