Saskatchewan Huskies

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Thanks for sharing this story. From what I know of Dave Adolph, this is the kind of thing he and his players would do. Great experience for the young kid.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Tarzan Kozun

Former Kelowna Rocket standout, who played 9 games with Utah (ECHL) has apparently been red shirting with the Huskies. Can't seeing him starting many games, as Cooke has been the CIS goalie of the year, the past two seasons. If Cooke is gone after next year, they will be solid in nets. He was recruited , also by the U of A.

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
SO MUCH FOR STATUS QUO ...
Huskies bringing in 7 newcomers to camp

Here's the official U of S release:

(2017-18 Men's Hockey Recruits)

Taran Kozun, Goaltender

The 6-1 Nipawin, Sask., native was named the WHL's top goaltender in 2014-15, as well as a WHL Western Conference First Team All-Star for the Seattle Thunderbirds before spending a season in the ECHL. In 2014-15, Kozun played in 60 games for the Thunderbirds and posted a 2.41 GAA and .915 save percentage.

Collin Shirley, Forward

A left wing/centre, the 6-2 Shirley tallied 114 goals and 119 assists in his WHL career with the Kamloops Blazers. The Saskatoon native also had 13 points in 13 career WHL playoff games for the Blazers. In 2016-16, he was named captain.

Carter Folk, Forward

Folk, a left winger, spent three seasons with the Lethbridge Hurricanes before joining the Victoria Royals in 2016-17. The Regina native finished his WHL career with 33 goals and 46 assists.

Taylor Sanheim, Forward

From Elkhorn, Man., Sanheim played three seasons with the WHL's Calgary Hitmen, before finishing his junior career with the Penticton Vees in the BCHL. The 5-11 left winger helped the Vees to the BCHL championship title.

Jesse Shynkaruk, Forward

Finishing his WHL career with the Saskatoon Blades, Shynkaruk, a 5-9 left winger, scored 31 goals and 25 assists in his final WHL season. He also spent time with the Kamloops Blazers and Moose Jaw Warriors. He was a member of the Telus Cup champion Saskatoon Contacts in 2012-13.

Alex Forsberg, Forward

(was announced in 2016-17, but rehabbed an injury and didn't consume eligibility)

Spending time with four different WHL teams, centre Alex Forsberg has 87 career WHL goals. In 2015-16, the Waldheim, Sask., native finished ninth in league scoring with 31 goals and 60 assists for the Victoria Royals.

MacKenzie Johnston, Defenceman

(sat out 2016-17 to comply with U SPORTS eligibility rules)

Spending time with three different WHL teams, defenceman MacKenzie Johnston joins the Huskies from the Mount Royal University Cougars. Sitting out 2016-17 for U SPORTS transfer rules, Johnston played in 56 games with the Cougars in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

Here's a link to a story on Kozun:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/lo...ie-taran-kozun-set-to-suit-up-for-hockey-dogs

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

I wouldn't call that "a wild one." Mike Babcock signed on with the University of Vermont Catamounts Athletic Dept. last summer as a "Volunteer Advisor," and has been regularly seen pacing behind the bench of the UVM Cats men's team this season & frequently chatting with their head coach Todd Woodcroft during breaks in play. Seemed to me from the beginning that Babcock was test driving college hockey coaching before making a commitment to own or lease.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Everyone laughs at me for a variety of reasons.... but who's grapevine is best..... MINE Haha

Very interesting to see, told you all months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I’d be curious to see how much of an impact he has on recruiting for 2021-2022....wouldn’t their team basically already be in place for next season?
All USports teams are very far from set.
Consider the following:
1) Sask can add players whenever they want up to the USask enrolment deadline.
2) Transfers will be wide open with no season in 20-21.
3) There is a mile-long list of Overagers who will have just come off a 24-game WHL season with few Pro prospects.
If I'm a CHL Overager (or a 3rd/4th year USports player) who really wants to go Pro, I'm tripping over myself to play for Babcock in 21-22. Like him or not, he's connected, and a recommendation from Babcock is gold.

Reactions: AUS Fan and Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
While I agree with your comments in general, I'm sure there are some guys who were recruited and expected to be #1 line players. If a bunch of 'new' guys parachute in because of Babcock and push the star recruits down the food chain, that may upset the chemistry. I'm guessing that UofS has a finite number of packages to give out for hockey but I'm not certain if they have a player cap.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
While I agree with your comments in general, I'm sure there are some guys who were recruited and expected to be #1 line players. If a bunch of 'new' guys parachute in because of Babcock and push the star recruits down the food chain, that may upset the chemistry. I'm guessing that UofS has a finite number of packages to give out for hockey but I'm not certain if they have a player cap.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Agreed. But, if Babcock has shown us anything over the years, it's that he can get star players to work together as a team.

Usually I'm quite disinterested in CanadaWest, but I'm excited to see if Babcock's team can unseat Alberta. If nothing else, this will be great for ticket sales when USask visits town.

While I'm not going to pretend to know the budget of USask, I do know that they're not paying Babcock to coach ... whether / how they use that salary money will be interesting. They clearly do not have UAlberta's resources, but winning might drum up some more Alumni support.

Quick question for UNB fans ... any chance UNB pays for USask to play some preseason games at Aitken?

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Quick question for UNB fans ... any chance UNB pays for USask to play some preseason games at Aitken?

I would be lying if I said that thought hadn’t crossed my mind...

I’m not privy to anything, but I have to think money is tight right now...not sure I see teams incurring any unnecessary costs right now, even if such a game would probably draw pretty well. Not to mention, who knows what traveling will be like in the fall. Certainly an interesting idea though...

Reactions: Rob and MiamiHockey

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Mike Babcock discusses controversies as NHL coach

5:00 | February 24, 2021

Mike Babcock sat down for The Big Picture and talked about his past as a coach in the NHL, clearing the air about a few incidents with players that have come up over the past few months.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
I do think that Bob S is gonna now be excited to drop Babs name in the convo now with Herbie and Daumer as great CW coaches.
Rest of us can only watch and wish.
It will be an interesting ride.
I sure hope USPORTS is back in Sept 2021.
Lots of thoughts out in Manitoba here that we shouldn’t expect it back until Jan 2022 when hopefully coast is completely clear.
If this is correct USPORTS football would miss two competitive seasons, that would not be good in my opinion

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Wow. You know when someone brings their family into the conversation to show they're not a bad person, that they're a bad person.

Agreed. I was expecting him to be slightly more contrite than that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->