Sasha Pokulok

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I'm just curious about this guy, I read an article about him in the newspaper(I think it was Globe and Mail, but I'm not 100% sure) and he sounds like he would be an interesting prospect. 6'5 200 defenceman lbs, he also seems to have a decent scoring touch with 10 points in 26 games with Cornell Big Red.

So has anyone seen him play? What is he like? Where is projected to be picked?

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
felixd said:
I'm just curious about this guy, I read an article about him in the newspaper(I think it was Globe and Mail, but I'm not 100% sure) and he sounds like he would be an interesting prospect. 6'5 200 defenceman lbs, he also seems to have a decent scoring touch with 10 points in 26 games with Cornell Big Red.

So has anyone seen him play? What is he like? Where is projected to be picked?

You would have seen the article in Montreal's The Gazette, which did a four-day series on options for junior-age players in Quebec. SP has a tremendous amount of upside; skating, shooting, passing, physical play and he's in a good situation at Cornell where the coach works closely with his D.

He comes from the Presqu'Ile area of western Montreal, which used to be called Westlake-- Vaudreuil, Dorion, Hudson, Rigaud.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
In our list we compiled in early March we had Pokulok as the 19th overall ranked D-man and at #56 overall. If you get to see any of the Cornell NCAA tournament games, remember, this was his first game action after a 6 week layoff. Although he can be physical, he's not as consistently physical as you would expect with his big frame. Although a smooth skater, he's not a fast puck-rusher (like Johnson) but he is a very smart passer and has run one of the Cornell PP points since he arrived there. He's definitely a player I don't think people have paid enough attention to.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chief said:
In our list we compiled in early March we had Pokulok as the 19th overall ranked D-man and at #56 overall. If you get to see any of the Cornell NCAA tournament games, remember, this was his first game action after a 6 week layoff. Although he can be physical, he's not as consistently physical as you would expect with his big frame. Although a smooth skater, he's not a fast puck-rusher (like Johnson) but he is a very smart passer and has run one of the Cornell PP points since he arrived there. He's definitely a player I don't think people have paid enough attention to.

To think he could have been picked up last draft with a 9th round pick. Cornell has shown they have a great defensive system as they excell on the forecheck and have some very big defensemen as I'm sure your aware of. I was impressed with his offensive skills for a freshman. Guess a guy that size I would think would be more physical, and imo he could use some work on his mobility/footwork. But with his size I can see him going that high, but perhaps his injury drops him a bit?

I am actually surprised the Habs didn't take a shot on him late as they have picked 2 defensemen from Cornell in the last 2 drafts and with being 6'5 and from Quebec, I thought they might select him at some point late in the draft.

I actually like what I saw from the older freshman Doug Krantz, who has a booming shot and seems to play a little more physical then Pokulok, but I would expect Pokulok to have a big year next season as the big red have lost Cook and Downs on defense, so he should see a lot of ice time and I assume run the PP.

I don't expect Topher Scott to get drafted, but I like the way he plays the game, too bad he's so small cause I don't think anyones told him yet. He gets involved in the play physically, has good wheels and some decent offensive skills. But at 5'6 or so I'm assuming he won't get drafted eventhough he had a solid freshman year.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Cornell was a real enjoyable team to watch if you like physical hockey. They seemed to have a lot of big boys on that team. Don't know if you caught the Cornell/Harvard NCAA tourney matchup but it was pretty interesting seeing Cornell's Topher Scott (5'6"-155) and Harvard's Jon Pelle (5'8"-160) giving it a go. Two great little players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chief said:
Cornell was a real enjoyable team to watch if you like physical hockey. They seemed to have a lot of big boys on that team. Don't know if you caught the Cornell/Harvard NCAA tourney matchup but it was pretty interesting seeing Cornell's Topher Scott (5'6"-155) and Harvard's Jon Pelle (5'8"-160) giving it a go. Two great little players.

They are a lot of fun to watch, and for a large part of the season they flat out dominated teams. They made it almost impossible to beat them if they got first goal. Too bad for the ot loss to Minnesota, as I thought they were headed to the frozen four after watching 6 or 7 games this year. Great program they got there.

The Cornell-Havard game was a blast, as Cornell was all over Havard. I did see the battle of mighty mites too bad more players don't work that hard or play as intense.

neophool*

montreal said:
They are a lot of fun to watch, and for a large part of the season they flat out dominated teams. They made it almost impossible to beat them if they got first goal. Too bad for the ot loss to Minnesota, as I thought they were headed to the frozen four after watching 6 or 7 games this year. Great program they got there.

The Cornell-Havard game was a blast, as Cornell was all over Havard. I did see the battle of mighty mites too bad more players don't work that hard or play as intense.

Yeah that was a great game. I love the heart that Tofer plays with...

Re: Sasha, I also agree that he will have a great year next year. If he adds some muscle and starts to dominate physically out there, some NHL team is going to be VERY happy with him next year. Only concern is the skating, but he's young. Adding a little weight and muscle may help out his skating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad