Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
I see Fitzgerald has signed with the Petes. Yet another guy that was just playing games.

But I'm very happy with Di Iorio. He looks like he's going to be a stud.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Saginaw like Sarnia adds an all star team just to lose to London who add 1-2 pieces that aren't even considered elite (although Winterton probably was last yr). You think they would've took some notes of how it went for us.

Drives ya nuts in some ways haha. But that's Hunter. He's skated (? Lol) circles around all these other teams/coaches outside PBO. Smothering team defence with great goaltending & timely scoring will take you all the way.

Not a fan of the shenanigans some of there guys do but definitely respect the commitment to team D/physical play. Especially at the Jr level. Don't see NB or OSH beating them.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Saginaw like Sarnia adds an all star team just to lose to London who add 1-2 pieces that aren't even considered elite (although Winterton probably was last yr). You think they would've took some notes of how it went for us.

Drives ya nuts in some ways haha. But that's Hunter. He's skated (? Lol) circles around all these other teams/coaches outside PBO. Smothering team defence with great goaltending & timely scoring will take you all the way.

Not a fan of the shenanigans some of there guys do but definitely respect the commitment to team D/physical play. Especially at the Jr level. Don't see NB or OSH beating them.
Saginaw 2024 is basically Sarnia 2023 ... built from the outside in. The formula for success is so very simple.... draft, develop and sprinkle in some moves yet no one really seems to do it but London. Londons core is entirely draft picks and let's be honest Barkey, Cowan, Bonk were all not elite high draft picks coming out of AAA. I get it they swindled Dickinson but still... London has never ever had a team like Saginaw 2024 or Sarnia 2023. LDN is the only franchise that doesn't get desperate. LDN is playing chess and the rest of the league is playing checkers.... Misa took a step back in year 2.... 4 goals and 11 pts in 17 playoff games is abysmal.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Saginaw 2024 is basically Sarnia 2023 ... built from the outside in. The formula for success is so very simple.... draft, develop and sprinkle in some moves yet no one really seems to do it but London. Londons core is entirely draft picks and let's be honest Barkey, Cowan, Bonk were all not elite high draft picks coming out of AAA. I get it they swindled Dickinson but still... London has never ever had a team like Saginaw 2024 or Sarnia 2023. LDN is the only franchise that doesn't get desperate. LDN is playing chess and the rest of the league is playing checkers.... Misa took a step back in year 2.... 4 goals and 11 pts in 17 playoff games is abysmal.
Yep. You called it early the similarities. Became very obvious down the stretch. I'll say they did better than I anticipated vs LDN but still the same issue we had at the end of the day. Lalonde honestly probably played better than Gaudreau though.

Yah he's a weird one. His first game here last yr I was blown away. Ever since rather underwhelmed. Especially in the playoffs last yr then watching him vs SSM/LDN. Just 16 so it isn't the end of the world or mean he's going nowhere just isn't as exceptional as some of the others (excluding Sean day lol)

I'm hoping these last 2 draft classes (real focus on building from the backend out) and what Seca said in some articles after the season speaks to how they will try to build their next contender. He openly admitted they forced it. Felt like the city needed a run and how can u disagree frankly with the attendance this yr. Said they won't do that again.. hopefully he's truthful & they will try to build it like LDN (easier said than done) & so we don't need to sit thru miserable seasons & have more opportunities than 1 in every 4 years to win.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Saginaw 2024 is basically Sarnia 2023 ... built from the outside in. The formula for success is so very simple.... draft, develop and sprinkle in some moves yet no one really seems to do it but London. Londons core is entirely draft picks and let's be honest Barkey, Cowan, Bonk were all not elite high draft picks coming out of AAA.
Cowan and Bonk reportedly played games to fall to 2nd round. Barkey was 16th overall. These WERE elite players out of AAA.

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yep. You called it early the similarities. Became very obvious down the stretch. I'll say they did better than I anticipated vs LDN but still the same issue we had at the end of the day. Lalonde honestly probably played better than Gaudreau though.

Yah he's a weird one. His first game here last yr I was blown away. Ever since rather underwhelmed. Especially in the playoffs last yr then watching him vs SSM/LDN. Just 16 so it isn't the end of the world or mean he's going nowhere just isn't as exceptional as some of the others (excluding Sean day lol)

I'm hoping these last 2 draft classes (real focus on building from the backend out) and what Seca said in some articles after the season speaks to how they will try to build their next contender. He openly admitted they forced it. Felt like the city needed a run and how can u disagree frankly with the attendance this yr. Said they won't do that again.. hopefully he's truthful & they will try to build it like LDN (easier said than done) & so we don't need to sit thru miserable seasons & have more opportunities than 1 in every 4 years to win.
I didn't watch a single game of LDN/SAG because I already knew who would win so I can't really comment on the hockey....Fingers crossed NB puts up a fight... I like NB but I think LDN handles them too.
lol I think we watched that same game in 2022... Saginaw at Sarnia's home opener... I think Sarnia lost like 5-2 and I remember thinking well here we go again. The OHL is loosey goosey with who they give exceptional status to... Misa, Day, Wright, Ekblad are/were great players but exceptional imo are the Mcdavids, Bedards and Tavares' where it's abundantly clear they are exceptional talents.

Cowan and Bonk reportedly played games to fall to 2nd round. Barkey was 16th overall. These WERE elite players out of AAA.
Thanks for that info Pops I didn't know that. Interesting but not surprising lol

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I didn't watch a single game of LDN/SAG because I already knew who would win so I can't really comment on the hockey....Fingers crossed NB puts up a fight... I like NB but I think LDN handles them too.
lol I think we watched that same game in 2022... Saginaw at Sarnia's home opener... I think Sarnia lost like 5-2 and I remember thinking well here we go again. The OHL is loosey goosey with who they give exceptional status to... Misa, Day, Wright, Ekblad are/were great players but exceptional imo are the Mcdavids, Bedards and Tavares' where it's abundantly clear they are exceptional talents.

Thanks for that info Pops I didn't know that. Interesting but not surprising lol
At this point I don't even know if it's London who plays the game. It's there name now. Their first 5-10 years I bet they struggled to get high end talent to come outside picking them high.

But when you've dominated a league for 20 years players/agents wanna go to you. The Flyers (team I root for) took Bonk & Barkey last yr & listening to their management speak about their development/playing in LDN they can barely contain themselves lmao.

If Sarnia became this juggernaut that dominated for 10+ years we'd suddenly be getting all these guys to come like LDN does. Tho I think Sarnia's actually been rather good at getting Americans over compared to 90% of the league. I certainly think at points they've done some scummy/under the table stuff but I think they moved past it honestly.

I get more mad at the kids than them now lmao. Understand it's there future & there life it's just a bit annoying & comes off very spoiled/entitled.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Fitzgerald and Wassilyn. Who knows. Fitzgerald might be a no go for the OHL entirely. His hometown team took him & he didn't go to their rookie camp.

Wassilyn has had a cooked deal with Niagara for a long time. I remember hearing about it months ago.

As for Seca OHL4Life (who said the part about him) knows people so id imagine some agents have maybe said it. They've rarely had commitment issues lately. Have gotten a few USA kids over (Filak, Fischer the big ones.) Along with their import picks. not to worried about it. From what I've heard players have really appreciated how they were treated, handled here since Seca, Letang, Legwand have took over.

Some kids just can't be convinced or swayed. Is what it is.
Always remember that American kids don’t dream of playing in the OHL/CHL like most Canadian kids do.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
If Sarnia became this juggernaut that dominated for 10+ years we'd suddenly be getting all these guys to come like LDN does.
I here you and you are certainly not wrong. BUT the fact that the Hunters own the team I believe is the key for all the success. Really both Mark and Dale are NHL talent but Dale prefers the kids and Mark will only leave if the situation he goes to as a GM is perfect. We also have a son and son in law who are probably paid better then assistant coaches in the NHL would be. Not to mention they know one day Mark and Dale will eventually retire.
So why not just stay at home, live on the farm, race there horses and "rake" in the money. If they were to ever sell the team and leave reality would hit London quickly other then the fact the attendance assures all the money (+) you need to run an OHL team.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I here you and you are certainly not wrong. BUT the fact that the Hunters own the team I believe is the key for all the success. Really both Mark and Dale are NHL talent but Dale prefers the kids and Mark will only leave if the situation he goes to as a GM is perfect. We also have a son and son in law who are probably paid better then assistant coaches in the NHL would be. Not to mention they know one day Mark and Dale will eventually retire.
So why not just stay at home, live on the farm, race there horses and "rake" in the money. If they were to ever sell the team and leave reality would hit London quickly other then the fact the attendance assures all the money (+) you need to run an OHL team.
Definitely but the dominance has helped the aura of London & helped the Hunters too. If they were they like every team where they go for it every 3-4 years getting guys to come wouldn't be as easy as it is now.

Players see never miss playoffs, always win & who you've developed & gotta get into there head a bit.

Reactions: Buttsy

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Cowan and Bonk reportedly played games to fall to 2nd round.
Just wanting to clarify are you saying that someone reported that these two kids played poorly in games in there draft season so that there draft position would fall so that London would be able to pick them? I know you are not saying it but I'm just a bit confused on what is being said / alleged and pretty sure I missed the intent of the statement? Cheers ....

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting sign Gaughan. Seca says in the article he had a few options but they've been recruiting him for a while & got it done.

I liked what I saw at camp. Little raw & like I said might take him a bit to get fully comfortable with how big of a jump it is but really good upside with him.

Interview with him in the observer today.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Three 2024 Sting draft picks were taken in phase one of the USHL Draft today. Nick Bogas (Sting 11th rounder) was taken in the by the Waterloo Black Hawks in the 2nd round. Brayden Hughes (Sting 8th rounder) was taken by the Omaha Lancers in the 10th round. Easton Walos (Sting 11th rounder) was taken by the Chicago Steel in the fourth round

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Three 2024 Sting draft picks were taken in phase one of the USHL Draft today. Nick Bogas (Sting 11th rounder) was taken in the by the Waterloo Black Hawks in the 2nd round. Brayden Hughes (Sting 8th rounder) was taken by the Omaha Lancers in the 10th round. Easton Walos (Sting 11th rounder) was taken by the Chicago Steel in the fourth round
Bogas going so high probably means he's going that route, but him coming for camp probably means he is at least curios about us. Like I said Saturday it's just so hard to convince him there's a legit opportunity here with how many D we have.

Interesting Patrick Quinlan wasn't taken & still hasn't committed to any schools. That would be such a massive signing for the Sting.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad