Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Idk salinitri, grima, coffin,other prospects you could throw into the mix ,Hamilton robbed flint in the trade they made

Trading Coffin would make no sense.Who is going to carry us next.Sorry but Houghes just aint going to do it.So what would Grima get in return.He is our # 5 d man now.\Would have to use a lot of drafts we cant afford with Grima to get a #2 or #3 dman.Would be interesting what Sali would bring.Great PK man but struggles 5 on 5.Most teams would want a dman in return.No Way Kramerer goes anywhere.Hogue or Henderson would be all thats left.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
I don't pretend to be an expert but when Bob Mackenzie has Kyrou as one of his locks for this scoring challenged team I think his odds of making it would be pretty high.
Don't get me wrong I realize that at times he can be a lazy and selfish player but he is also a super elite offensive talent.When he's at the top of his game he can be absolutely dominant. He's also the straw that stirs the drink as far as the Sting are concerned ( along with Fazio ).
When he came back from the Blues camp the team won 15 in a row and he put up over 2 points a game. Once Kyrou's point production started tailing the team started it's losing skid.
I'm very surprised to see some of the fans jump all over this kid.To only focus in on his defensive weakness and totally ignore his huge offensive contributions is totally unfair and is a bit of a joke to me.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Kyrou makes Team Canada he would only be third Sting player ever ( Stamkos and Letowski being the other two) since 1994.
After this weekend Kyrou will be gone til the first week of January. If the team continues to skid I wonder who will the new scapegoat be then. The coach's son appears to be an easy target or any of the other defence perhaps ? : /
If the KHL blows off the Olympics then the people who are jumping all over this kid may have to find a scapegoat til the end of Feb and may have seen the last of Kyrou til right before the playoffs.
I am a STH and have been at every game . Kyrou has had some good games but most games he goes hard early in the first but slows to a crawl the rest of the game. He floats around looking for someone to pass it to him for a shot. He is a ghost on the checking side . IMHO he is loaded with skill but is lazy and is self centered.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Last nights second period was the best period this team has played in a while. Overall a pretty solid effort. You could see the confidence coming out of the first intermission when Fazio lead the team out of the room. Feel bad for Hughes....he’s a great kid and one of the best when it comes to fan interaction but he’s just not good enough to play in this league at this point. He needs some jr b time where he can get plenty of games and shots. His mobility is awful and reaction time is slow. If that goaltending switch doesn’t happen last night then Erie wins that game.

Like seeing all those goals though. Keep it going boys

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
greatest offensive player to ever play for the sting? starting to think your Kyrou's dad! lol...I guess we both have different views and we will leave it at that.

You might want to actually read what I wrote - I said " at this juncture of the season" . The fact is no Sting player has ever produced as many PPG by the first weekend of December as Kyrou has in the history of the team. Nowhere did I ever say that he was the best offensive (or overall ) player that has ever played for this team in it's history. Those are your words ( and also the words of a few other people that can't read ). Not Mine.

Also, in case you misread it I also said that Kyrou has his shortcomings. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Hatcher clearly knows this and I'm sure he's doing everything in his power to make Kyrou more defensively responsible but he also knows that the kid will never be Frank Selke.

Hatcher's job is to try and get the most out of these kids and has obviously weighed the consequences of coming down hard on the kid because of his defensive weaknesses versus choking his formidable offensive output. Try and keep in perspective that these are 16-20 year old kids and it doesn't take much to get them off track. He obviously feels that Kyrou is a kid that he can really develop or he wouldn't have made him the Captain.

I think Hatcher has done a great job in developing some of these kids. Take a kid like Sproviero. He was a late round pick that Hatcher knew that the kid could flat out play so he plucked him out of Junior B and and showed a lot of confidence in him now he's an invaluable member of the team. That's called development.That's how the Hunter's do it. In the old days a gem like Sproveiro never would've gotten out of Junior B . That's what I really like about the new ownership group - the number one criteria for selecting players is kids that really play the game.

It's all about knowing what buttons to push and when.

Hatcher also knows that the season is a marathon not a sprint so unlike some fans he's not going to start panicking when the team hits the not unexpected rough patches . ( Trade the Captain we lost 4 out of 5 ! Now ! LOL ). This team could use some upgrades but is a serious contender IMO to win the league and the reality is it's the team that gets hot at the right time that will win the league .

I also find it very surprising that some fans think that Hatcher and the new ownership have proven nothing. You'd have to have blinders on not to see the night and day difference between this regime and the old owners.

Already around the league the perception of Sarnia as a place to play has changed dramatically. Literally in the old days players would send letters to the Sting that "if you draft me I wont report ". It's going to be the opposite now -players will actively want to play for Sarnia because of the quality of the organization. This is great news for Sting fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Howler

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Last nights second period was the best period this team has played in a while. Overall a pretty solid effort. You could see the confidence coming out of the first intermission when Fazio lead the team out of the room. Feel bad for Hughes....he’s a great kid and one of the best when it comes to fan interaction but he’s just not good enough to play in this league at this point. He needs some jr b time where he can get plenty of games and shots. His mobility is awful and reaction time is slow. If that goaltending switch doesn’t happen last night then Erie wins that game.

Like seeing all those goals though. Keep it going boys

I agree,I like Houghes and feel bad for him. First 2 goals he was offand struggled in the 1st. 3rdgoal not his fault as he was left out to dry.That was the best period for a while. Fazio just develop confidence in the rest of the team and he didnt disappoint last night.Interesting line changes last night. Looks like Rudzicka and Kyrou played well. Kyrou looked like to me he made Adam work harder.One of Kyrou's better games for sure. Wish the boys well.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
You might want to actually read what I wrote - I said " at this juncture of the season" . The fact is no Sting player has ever produced as many PPG by the first weekend of December as Kyrou has in the history of the team. Nowhere did I ever say that he was the best offensive (or overall ) player that has ever played for this team in it's history. Those are your words ( and also the words of a few other people that can't read ). Not Mine.

Also, in case you misread it I also said that Kyrou has his shortcomings. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Hatcher clearly knows this and I'm sure he's doing everything in his power to make Kyrou more defensively responsible but he also knows that the kid will never be Frank Selke.

Hatcher's job is to try and get the most out of these kids and has obviously weighed the consequences of coming down hard on the kid because of his defensive weaknesses versus choking his formidable offensive output. Try and keep in perspective that these are 16-20 year old kids and it doesn't take much to get them off track. He obviously feels that Kyrou is a kid that he can really develop or he wouldn't have made him the Captain.

I think Hatcher has done a great job in developing some of these kids. Take a kid like Sproviero. He was a late round pick that Hatcher knew that the kid could flat out play so he plucked him out of Junior B and and showed a lot of confidence in him now he's an invaluable member of the team. That's called development.That's how the Hunter's do it. In the old days a gem like Sproveiro never would've gotten out of Junior B . That's what I really like about the new ownership group - the number one criteria for selecting players is kids that really play the game.

It's all about knowing what buttons to push and when.

Hatcher also knows that the season is a marathon not a sprint so unlike some fans he's not going to start panicking when the team hits the not unexpected rough patches . ( Trade the Captain we lost 4 out of 5 ! Now ! LOL ). This team could use some upgrades but is a serious contender IMO to win the league and the reality is it's the team that gets hot at the right time that will win the league .

I also find it very surprising that some fans think that Hatcher and the new ownership have proven nothing. You'd have to have blinders on not to see the night and day difference between this regime and the old owners.

Already around the league the perception of Sarnia as a place to play has changed dramatically. Literally in the old days players would send letters to the Sting that "if you draft me I wont report ". It's going to be the opposite now -players will actively want to play for Sarnia because of the quality of the organization. This is great news for Sting fans.

I dont think Kyrou has a defensive weakness.Look at his first month and a half.He played his d skills awesome.Did it affect his formidable offensive output.No not one bit.This team is not good enough as they are playing now to win.If you think that you are not giving the Soo the respect they deserve.I only said to MAYBE look at trading the captain at trade deadline ONLY if we dont pick up a couple of D men because we are not a good enough team today to go for it.Going for one dman is not enough upgrade.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Trading Coffin would make no sense.Who is going to carry us next.Sorry but Houghes just aint going to do it.So what would Grima get in return.He is our # 5 d man now.\Would have to use a lot of drafts we cant afford with Grima to get a #2 or #3 dman.Would be interesting what Sali would bring.Great PK man but struggles 5 on 5.Most teams would want a dman in return.No Way Kramerer goes anywhere.Hogue or Henderson would be all thats left.
You seriously think coffin will? He’s struggled hard in exhibition games this year, and I was recently at a legionaires game and he let in multiple softies that a midget ae goalie could have stopped, I really hope you don’t think he is going to be our starter because he isn’t looking great either pal, I’d say langevin has a better chance, his numbers have been solid for a 16 year old tier 2 junior A goalie, I think he will shock most people, and I said those players meaning maybe package up grima and salinitri, grima still has a few years left and teams may think he can develope into something better and salinitri brings a lot to the table and he will be a very good overager next year

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Great full 60 minute effort tonight. If it wasn’t for Pete’s goalie Wells the sting could have made this a 6-1 game.

This was the team we saw earlier on in the season. Good stuff.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
2-way effort by everyone, including 25!
Agree with massey’s comment a while back... looks like Kyrou/Ruzicka pairing is making Adam work harder.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Feel kinda bad for Ernst, though. Playing as well as he is and on 4th line. The good news is that Hatcher can really roll all 4 lines and get results out of all of them. 10+ goal guys on all 4 lines. Not too many teams can say that.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
You seriously think coffin will? He’s struggled hard in exhibition games this year, and I was recently at a legionaires game and he let in multiple softies that a midget ae goalie could have stopped, I really hope you don’t think he is going to be our starter because he isn’t looking great either pal, I’d say langevin has a better chance, his numbers have been solid for a 16 year old tier 2 junior A goalie, I think he will shock most people, and I said those players meaning maybe package up grima and salinitri, grima still has a few years left and teams may think he can develope into something better and salinitri brings a lot to the table and he will be a very good overager next year

So if he is that bad,why would a GM trading a top Dman want him.You would zero for the assest.My point is,some people want to trade but want to use a Grima,Cofflin as trade bait with next to zero value based on performance which means a large number of draft picks we dont have.Yes Sali might have some value for sure.I also remember a young rookie named Fazio who had trouble stopping a puck also.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Feel kinda bad for Ernst, though. Playing as well as he is and on 4th line. The good news is that Hatcher can really roll all 4 lines and get results out of all of them. 10+ goal guys on all 4 lines. Not too many teams can say that.

At least Hatcher is giving Ernst some extra on the PP.I love what his brings to this team in leadership both on and off the ice.You see him on the bench and the ice helping the rookies out.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Good solid effort and got the 4 this weekend. That's exactly what I hoped to see when I went . Nice regroup.. keep it rolling now. Go Stings.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
So if he is that bad,why would a GM trading a top Dman want him.You would zero for the assest.My point is,some people want to trade but want to use a Grima,Cofflin as trade bait with next to zero value based on performance which means a large number of draft picks we dont have.Yes Sali might have some value for sure.I also remember a young rookie named Fazio who had trouble stopping a puck also.
Ya fazio had trouble stopping the puck as a rookie playing behind one of the worst teams in the league, and troubles stopping the puck when he played junior b facing 50+ shots every night , coffin has troubles behind a good team , and fazio was in the ohl his second year, coffin is still in junior b....and I’m saying package up salinitri, coffin and grima that way a team gets a good vet and two players with a few years left maybe throw a draft pick in to sweeten the deal

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
or Fulcher back ... that was a wrong move... as i see, we could use another skilled forward and a 2 D men...
my guess is, that since we signed the kid the other day one dman is gone in a trade. i think we will see a D man from Erie... and maybe a forward...

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Saw Sambrook and Hedrick on Friday. Wouldn’t consider either an upgrade from what we have now. Everyone dumps on 24, 28 dumping puck up the glass Worked pretty well on Saturday

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
or Fulcher back ... that was a wrong move... as i see, we could use another skilled forward and a 2 D men...
my guess is, that since we signed the kid the other day one dman is gone in a trade. i think we will see a D man from Erie... and maybe a forward...

Reesor is 16 & is signed but not on the current roster.The Sting already have 4 rookies on the blueline.i don't see him playing in Sarnia this year.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Reesor is 16 & is signed but not on the current roster.The Sting already have 4 rookies on the blueline.i don't see him playing in Sarnia this year.

But could he be used IF one of the Rookies are traded off in an upgrade on D.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Saw Sambrook and Hedrick on Friday. Wouldn’t consider either an upgrade from what we have now. Everyone dumps on 24, 28 dumping puck up the glass Worked pretty well on Saturday

I seen Erie at London yesterday.I have to some what agree that Sambrook didn't stick out yesterday.He still had his screen on from the shot to the head on Friday and maybe that affecting him somewhat.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
So, What does Nick do over the next month? Where are they going to go with this team. Do you buy and hurt the future over the next couple of years or do you do nothing because of the excellent 2016 draft class and build on that for the next couple of years.

Every Sting fan would love a long run in the playoffs for the first time ever, but what does this team need to get the long run this year and what is it going to cost? Personally, I believe the Soo is a cut above the rest of the league. That team has no holes and will only improve at the trade deadline. That being said, the Sting are a deeper team offensively. They only need the opposition to make a couple of mistakes and their elite shooters will put the puck in the net on any goalie. Personally, I believe the Sting need 2 things. First, they need Sean Day. With him, their PP will be the best in the league. Also, he can play 40 minutes every night. Second, they need a #1/2 Dman. Preferably a 2 way guy but could also be just a shutdown guy. So that leads us to, what do you have to give up for both? That I have no clue but I'm guessing allot and one of the pieces that could be moved, Rees, IMO, should not be traded at any cost. But with the lack of 17 yr old prospects on this team, it will have to be future draft picks only going the other way.

That now leads me to the next problem, This great 2016 draft. 6 players have already signed with the team I believe. And all 6 so far seem that in a couple of years, they will be very good players in this league. So, if you give up all your 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd picks over the next 5 years, how will you be able to build a top team around this great draft class?

So, I guess we will know over the next month where Nick stands on this problem, but where do the rest of you stand? As for me, I think you ride this current team for the rest of this season and hope they make a good playoff run. Then hope, after a few of the Americans from the 2015 draft and drafted to the NHL in June, that they decide to come to Sarnia and play next year.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think there needs to be an upgrade to the D corps, but it needs to be done without breaking the bank.

I think a guy like Riley Stillman out of Oshawa would be good to take a look at. I'd imagine the cost would be maybe a couple of 3rd round picks. He be a solid addition (and a possible OA next year) without costing what a Day, Dineen or Sambrook would cost.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I think there needs to be an upgrade to the D corps, but it needs to be done without breaking the bank.

I think a guy like Riley Stillman out of Oshawa would be good to take a look at. I'd imagine the cost would be maybe a couple of 3rd round picks. He be a solid addition (and a possible OA next year) without costing what a Day, Dineen or Sambrook would cost.
Wow I would hop all over this if that was possible.It is going to take more than that.I presume add a second and maybe a potential player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad