Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Well that's a good start to the weekend. 8-1 whopping over Missy. I'll agree about the dumb penalties, Missy was sitting 4th PP coming into this game but the Sting PK came up big again this game. Fazio not tested a whole lot but was rock solid. Can't keep playing with fire though, some discipline would be beneficial.

Sarnia now has the top PP and PK in the OHL. The game in Windsor on Sunday is going to be a dandy. The Spits are second behind Sarnia on the PP and PK. I just hope the 3 games in 2.5 days isn't a factor...Windsor does have Saturday night off.

Guelph tomorrow night, hoping the boys can take advantage of the struggling Storm goaltending.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
6-1 over Guelph tonight..surprised to see Fazio get the start. Would have thought they rest him for Windsor tomorrow...does this mean Hughes gets the nod tomorrow? just doesn't make sense.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Dont quite understand why Fazio started last night.Would have much preferred Hughes last night and Fazio today.Another good performance last night other than our team allowed way too many shots on net.Franco impressed me again last night.Glad to see the others getting some ice time also.Good Luck today Sting

Reactions: lazyboy

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Agreed! Fazio starting last night makes little sense. That said I don't have any confidence in Hughes either.

I keep expecting the wheels to fall off and so far the Sting keep on going. I had no doubt the offence would not be an issue this year but I still suspect the back end is playing far over its head.
Even though they allowed 40 shots against I don't feel like there was an overwhelming amount of high end quality chances among them. Coaching staff I think has really identified their back end weakness and taken ways to solve the problem (for example not much puck rushing from the back end - just move it up and out of the Sting end ASAP). I'm especially liking the way the skate and take away time and space

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Agreed! Fazio starting last night makes little sense. That said I don't have any confidence in Hughes either.

I keep expecting the wheels to fall off and so far the Sting keep on going. I had no doubt the offence would not be an issue this year but I still suspect the back end is playing far over its head.
Even though they allowed 40 shots against I don't feel like there was an overwhelming amount of high end quality chances among them. Coaching staff I think has really identified their back end weakness and taken ways to solve the problem (for example not much puck rushing from the back end - just move it up and out of the Sting end ASAP). I'm especially liking the way the skate and take away time and space

The biggest difference in the Sting this year is the defensive play of our forwards.I presume the coaches see our d weakness and having the forwards pick up a man or cover the blueline off when a dman goes on the offense is huge.Plus look at the blocking of shots by the d and forwards and getting the sticks in the way.Hats off to Kyrou who I was very critical last year about his poor D.He is doing awesome along with the other forwards this year

Reactions: Ferda11 and lazyboy

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
The Sting have to cut down the penalties. They outplayed the Spits but trips to the Sin Bin almost cost them the game.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
The Sting have to cut down the penalties. They outplayed the Spits but trips to the Sin Bin almost cost them the game.

Yes ur right.
Congrats to Hughes.solid game in net to win.Congrats to Brady Hinz.Teams are going to have trouble containing all 4 lines. PK had too be strong again.great 6 points for the weekend.Should be a top 5 in the CHL ratings on wednesday.

Reactions: The Howler

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Great weekend. 6 points of 6. Watched all 3 games, 2 of which live. This F group is unreal and opportunistic. So much offence and keep coming in waves. Faz was fantastic in Sarnia and Hughes real solid in Windsor. The DBC corps has played good responsible hockey all weekend. All 8D men were in and out of lineup over the weekend and most played very well including Henderson, Hogue and Jakov. Hatcher looked tired on Saturday but Grima struggled all weekend and it carried over to today. He was exposed today in Windsor with 4 minutes in PIM's and turned inside out on second goal. Time to sit.

Another 3 in 3 on the road next week up north. Should be a top 5 in CHL. Fun team to watch. Looking great 10 games into season.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
SSM makes trade with london for raaymakers.interesting what they get back.plus rumoured couple more player pickup.If all true I hope we get top dman

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
10 games in and it really couldn't be much better for the Sting. I would have never thought they would be sitting 9-1 and a top the OHL in points. Not to mention most goals, tied for least against, 2nd in PP and top PK. It's our depth. 4 lines rolling and all 4 contributing. They've done it for 10 games straight pretty consistently so I don't see why they can't continue to do it. There's no beginners luck with this team, it's just good simple hockey being coached, practiced and played.

I do agree that for this team to continue this type of early success they will need to shore up the blue line with a top 2 player. Ideally a good puck moving player with a bit of speed. I was hoping Grima would take that role but he's just not there yet. I would suggest another top 4 big stay at home d-man but we all know Hatcher isn't going to get bumped out of the top 4, But hey they are winning games so why change anything....?

Congrats to Brady Hinz on OHL player of the week! What a pleasant surprise his play has been. We all know he had the skill, guess he just needed some more playing time. Props to Hughes (who I'm very critical of) on his win vs Windsor. I attended the game and he was fantastic with a couple of massive saves. Big gamble by coaching staff giving him that game but it paid off and would surely help his confidence going forward. Hoping he gets one of the three games on the northern swing this weekend. Sudbury would be best.

Looking forward to seeing how the boys play on a long trip up north and having to end it on Sunday in Barrie. I'm sure they will come out flying after the loss in Sarnia earlier on this season.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Who could we even trade to bolster our blue line? I think this team is going to be good for the next two years based on the amount of 1st 2nd and 3rd years in the line up... wouldn't want to give up too many young players, we have 8 defence right now, we would likely have to trade 1 or 2 denceman and a forward or prospect

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Also maybe consider giving up the rights to American players, is Weiss and Samuelson come over I think it will be next year after they finish up with the USNDP.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Or add Blair coffin, a defenceman, and depth forward for a better two way defenceman, and use Hughes and langevin as the goalies next year, Hughes has found his game so far (knock on wood) and langevin has had a lot of scouts talking good about him, he's also doing well in a short amount of time in tier 2 junior A

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Who could we even trade to bolster our blue line? I think this team is going to be good for the next two years based on the amount of 1st 2nd and 3rd years in the line up... wouldn't want to give up too many young players, we have 8 defence right now, we would likely have to trade 1 or 2 denceman and a forward or prospect

Totally agree, however we all never expected our D to be playing this well. On paper it's not a crop that you win playoff rounds and championships with. But like massey said, the forwards have all been coming back and assisting very well in our end. Not sure if the grind of an extended season and deep playoff run would allow for this to continue to happen. The sting aren't in any rush to shore up the back end at the moment based on the results they have been getting which is great but you know teams like Barrie, Peterborough, SSM and Owen Sound to name a few will all be actively looking to add. But in no way should any trade involve Rees, Houge and Kammerer.

Weiss and Samuelson are not out of the question for next year. It will depend on which team drafts them...let's hope it isn't Minnesota lol.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Lots of trade bait.The only rookie Dman not available would be krammerer and Henderson.Hogue and any other prospects on d available.We are deep enough in forwards that r sitting that we could trade one of the 3 Rd or 4th liners younger guys and still be ok.we need a top 2 d man. Our draft picks are that bad either.With Fazio,Kyrou and Rudzicka in the line up this,the time is now as they will be gone next year

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Or add Blair coffin, a defenceman, and depth forward for a better two way defenceman, and use Hughes and langevin as the goalies next year, Hughes has found his game so far (knock on wood) and langevin has had a lot of scouts talking good about him, he's also doing well in a short amount of time in tier 2 junior A
i would not say after two games that Hughes has found his game. It is a long way to 68 games...

Reactions: Ferda11

massey

Sep 5, 2012
i would not say after two games that Hughes has found his game. It is a long way to 68 games...

I agree although he has won 2 more games than I thought based on his preseason.hope he continues to play well

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Well the half game I seen him play in london in the preseason he stood on his head, then coffin came in and played aweful.... and 4 goals on 61 shots with 2 wins ain't bad I'd say, I realize it's only 2 games but you have to start somewhere am I wrong?

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Well the half game I seen him play in london in the preseason he stood on his head, then coffin came in and played aweful.... and 4 goals on 61 shots with 2 wins ain't bad I'd say, I realize it's only 2 games but you have to start somewhere am I wrong?

No one is questioning his last 2 games. Yes he is doing extremely well. He played awful last year which some of us remember but hey,that's last year. We hope he does well but its only 2 games. He may just needed an off season to learn and work out with the coaches and the 2 wins for some confidence.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Great to see Sarnia at the top of the standings. Pleasantly shocked. Been a long time coming. Unsure their D will hold up all season. Tough assignment for the young D. Goes to show how goal scoring and goaltending can lift a team up. Fabio and Kyrou are great. Good on several others who have taken the next step too (Ruzicka and Hinz).

Hope fans start filing in soon

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Rees and Kammerer also invited to play for Team Canada U-17 November 5th to 11th in BC.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Some great recognition for the boys being ranked #2 in the country for sure. Kyrou also named to team OHL roster for Canada-Russia series which is no surprise.

Sudbury did us a big favor by defeating SSM tonight as they stay 2 pts back with Sarnia having a game in hand. I'm sure that win will give the Wolves a little confidence heading into our match up this weekend as I'm sure they would love to knock off 2 of the CHL's top teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->