NCAA: Sarah Fuller will be the first woman to ever suit up for a P5 football game

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is how a woman will ultimately break into the nfl. Ideally you’d see females kick on their HS team then move onto the ncaa and then ultimately into the pros if they are good enough.

this notion that the professional soccer player who went to Chicago and Philly last season to kick around training camp was not realistic. It takes way more practice to be consistent with kicking FG.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
c73436982b9d2e216372ed3a3bc791bf4de963a5.gifv

Sorry, I can't see P5 without thinking Persona 5...wish her well, this is something I want to see succeed.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Too bad Vandy is terrible. Halftime and they haven't been across midfield, I don't think. Is she going to handle the 2nd half kickoff or is the punter going to do that?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is how a woman will ultimately break into the nfl. Ideally you’d see females kick on their HS team then move onto the ncaa and then ultimately into the pros if they are good enough.

this notion that the professional soccer player who went to Chicago and Philly last season to kick around training camp was not realistic. It takes way more practice to be consistent with kicking FG.
Even if a woman was to practice for 10-15 years, I don't know if they would ever have the leg strength to make the NFL. It is just biology.

They would be competing against men who have also been practicing for 10-15 years, and have the biological advantage geared towards kicking long distances.

But if a woman could ever reach the point of being able to consistently kick 50+ yard field goals with 65% success rate (which is around the NFL average), then I would certainly like to see a woman be on a NFL roster someday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if a woman was to practice for 10-15 years, I don't know if they would ever have the leg strength to make the NFL. It is just biology.

They would be competing against men who have also been practicing for 10-15 years, and have the biological advantage geared towards kicking long distances.

But if a woman could ever reach the point of being able to consistently kick 50+ yard field goals with 65% success rate (which is around the NFL average), then I would certainly like to see a woman be on a NFL roster someday.
Agree on the biology. There was a point in Adam Vinateri's career where the punter, be it Hunter Smith, Pat MacAfee, had to handle the kickoffs because Adam wasn't consistent in getting it to the end zone. That might be a limitation for women. Then teams could turn to the punter to handle those duties. Go around to all 32 NFL teams. How many Kickers were drafted by the team they are currently on? Probably under 1/3 right now. Dan Carlsson was drafted by the Vikings but missed kicks early in his career, thus got cut and landed with LV.

NFL teams do expect kickers to hit upwards of 55 yard attempts and not see them fall 2-3 yards short.

Teams will make sacrifices for a kicker if they get consistency from them, like with Vinateri.

Kicking in the NFL is not something you can do with just 2-3 years of practice. Takes several years to be good. There are kickers who get drafted like R. Agayu who couldn't handle it. And even those in the early parts of day 3 of the draft in rounds 4-5 who don't make the team or get cut within the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad