Confirmed with Link: Sandin signs 2 x 1.4

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Adding bulk to a small frame is not always a good thing, people get this misguided focus on size, size, size .. gotta be over 6 foot, gotta be over 200lbs .. I'd rather a 185 lbs Rasmus that has improved his first step and decision making vs a bulky Rasmus with the same poor first step. It's not his size that was his problem last year, it was him pinching when he should have fallen back, it was his getting beaten in a foot race. He needs to improve his hockey IQ not the number on the scale. Don't take that as me saying Rasmus is a bad hockey player, he's not but he does have a few youthful inexperience warts to his game that he needs to focus on before he focuses on bulking up.

There is also the increased risk of injury if you bulk up the wrong way. I'm sure the sports science department was watching him closely but when people say they bulk up quickly, it always raises concerns in my mind.

With all that said, it looks like the Leafs have focused on their base, Marner gained bulk, Rasmus gained bulk, Robertson gained significant lower body bulk, other players look like tree trunks from the waist down. Leafs are really committing to the "get the puck and never give it up" mentality. (The stronger your base is the more you improve your chances to come out of a 50/50 standing up and with the puck.)
You're absolutely right. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for him & the others. If he gained this mass properly, I really hope he becomes stronger & more explosive because he could really benefit from both, but it's a tough balance.

Hopefully by midseason-playoffs he's in better shape physically than at that point last season.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad