Post-Game Talk: San Jose Sharks vs New Jersey Devils: Moore Risky Business

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
IIRC, regarding odd scheduling quirks, all teams have the same number of 3 games in 4 nights scenarios, so that it's fair. If not, at least they try to balance it somewhat I know so there's no great disparity, so it should work out in the end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At the risk of sounding like a cop-out, it's hard to make an NHL schedule. 82 games in less than 200 days, the availability of 31 buildings need to be taken into account and you need to satisfy multiple national TV schedules with certain teams playing, and now this whole CBA-mandated bye week nonsense further limits scheduling.

For instance the Prudential Center is booked every day this week but Monday which is a graveyard in terms of NHL scheduling, that's why they couldn't play yesterday's game today or tomorrow. Now in an ideal world should teams have 'multiple' five and six-day breaks? No but occasionally quirks like this are unavoidable.

Reactions: JK3

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm all in favor of the mandated break. NHL players are people, too. This is a rough sport and minor injuries wear down players.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm all in favor of the mandated break. NHL players are people, too. This is a rough sport and minor injuries wear down players.
This isn't even our bye week though, which makes this odd as hell. :laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Highlight of the night for the Devils:

Bratt picks up the puck at the 1:20 mark of the Sharks power play, they don't get it back until 38 seconds remain.

Reactions: mtnet and NjDevsRR

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Correct. The actual bye week players don't even have to show up for practice I think.
Yup, they actually aren't allowed to practice for a certain amount of time. It's an actual break for them to get away.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm all in favor of the mandated break. NHL players are people, too.

Yeah, me too, it's called JUNE through AUGUST. Or APRIL through AUGUST if you dont make the playoffs. Come on, how soft are we getting as a society for crying out loud.

Reactions: Bcap88

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yeah, screw players health. I think they should go back to the days of no helmets too. These selfish softies are afraid of taking one in the temple for the team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Players would get the same amount of time off over the full schedule, it's just a matter of allocating days off differently.

I don't even have a huge issue with the 'bye week' concept per se although it does seem a bit arbitrary but whatever, I have a problem with calling it a bye week when it really isn't (and when it's a NFL term) because I'm finicky :P

Yeah, screw players health. I think they should go back to the days of no helmets too. These selfish softies are afraid of taking one in the temple for the team.

So having two extra three game in four night blocks because they needed a block of five days off is going to help health? It's done for one reason - players wanted an in-season mini-vacation. It has very little to do with health.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yeah, me too, it's called JUNE through AUGUST. Or APRIL through AUGUST if you dont make the playoffs. Come on, how soft are we getting as a society for crying out loud.

They might take a week or two but they spend all summer training and working on various elements of their game.

That doesn't include the contractually obligated public appearances they have to make.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's been repeated a bunch of times, but this isn't their mandated break, this is a scheduling quirk.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some people have argued that having the bye week might be worse for players health, as it causes the schedule to be tighter and more games played in a shorter amount of times, which sometimes leads to more wear and tear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad