San Jose Sharks Number 3 Prospect

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Sorenson and Heed look fantastic. But they also look so developed I have trouble considering them prospects. They don't play like prospects.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sorenson and Heed look fantastic. But they also look so developed I have trouble considering them prospects. They don't play like prospects.

Have you seen them play at all outside of youtube highlight reels?

No it wasn't. So says me.

Well, either they ruined his development by killing his confidence and the mental part of his game by rushing him to the NHL way too fast and before he was ready... *OR* ... he never had any mental game to begin with, and shows few signs of developing one in all this time. Neither one is particularly encouraging.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well, either they ruined his development by killing his confidence and the mental part of his game by rushing him to the NHL way too fast and before he was ready... *OR* ... he never had any mental game to begin with, and shows few signs of developing one in all this time. Neither one is particularly encouraging.

Some players play better with better players and better competition. He didn't have a great year, had "some" brainfarts, was unmotivated after being sent down and was probably being asked to change his game. I don't like the reports I've heard of him "acting" unmotivated, but it is what it is and there has been improvement.

Marleau had a crap year when he was having a tiff with Wilson (coach) and people said he was pouting. No one gave up on him then. Mirco has plenty of time to mature and get his game where we hope he can get it.

I just don't buy into this rushing a player sets them back mantra, so there's that too.

Hopefully he used his summer well. We'll see soon enough.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Some players play better with better players and better competition. He didn't have a great year, had "some" brainfarts, was unmotivated after being sent down and was probably being asked to change his game. I don't like the reports I've heard of him "acting" unmotivated, but it is what it is and there has been improvement.

Marleau had a crap year when he was having a tiff with Wilson (coach) and people said he was pouting. No one gave up on him then. Mirco has plenty of time to mature and get his game where we hope he can get it.

I just don't buy into this rushing a player sets them back mantra, so there's that too.

Personally, I do think that they rushed Mirco into the NHL. They had high expectations from him and either he was not ready and they rushed him OR he is just not that good of a player. I still believe that it was the former.

My main concern with Mueller is that he has not really showed any/much improvement in the AHL (as per the people here who religiously follow the Cuda). I am not quite ready to give up on him, but I do think that the issue with him is confidence more than anything else. The only way to build confidence in that case is to show improvement and play better. I am really hoping this year Mueller turns it around in the Cuda. But lets wait and see.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Personally, I do think that they rushed Mirco into the NHL. They had high expectations from him and either he was not ready and they rushed him OR he is just not that good of a player. I still believe that it was the former.

My main concern with Mueller is that he has not really showed any/much improvement in the AHL (as per the people here who religiously follow the Cuda). I am not quite ready to give up on him, but I do think that the issue with him is confidence more than anything else. The only way to build confidence in that case is to show improvement and play better. I am really hoping this year Mueller turns it around in the Cuda. But lets wait and see.

Someone I talked to who sees him all the time in the locker room says he acts overconfident and unmotivated. Attributing his mistakes on the ice to fear is really trying to get into someones head and heart. That's hard to do.

And what is it with rushing a player? You think he thinks all year that he sucks because he was sent down? You think these guys are that mentally weak?

I really need this "a player was rushed and it ruined him" explained better, because I'm not buying it. A more likely explanation is that they overachieved and/or were misjudged and were never going to be good enough to be a nightly NHL player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Someone I talked to who sees him all the time in the locker room says he acts overconfident and unmotivated. Attributing his mistakes on the ice to fear is really trying to get into someones head and heart. That's hard to do.

And what is it with rushing a player? You think he thinks all year that he sucks because he was sent down? You think these guys are that mentally weak?

I really need this "a player was rushed and it ruined him" explained better, because I'm not buying it. A more likely explanation is that they overachieved and/or were misjudged and were never going to be good enough to be a nightly NHL player.

He was 19 when he was called up to the NHL. These are just kids and confidence is a fragile thing. I am not claiming to say that I know that is the issue with him. But totally dismissing that confidence can play no role in the situation is not something I agree with.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Mueller is unmotivated? Well that's not great to hear. I don't think he'll be getting much NHL time next year then.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
He was 19 when he was called up to the NHL. These are just kids and confidence is a fragile thing. I am not claiming to say that I know that is the issue with him. But totally dismissing that confidence can play no role in the situation is not something I agree with.

Confidence is a big part of all professional athletes. I just don't attribute a lack of it being caused by being "rushed".

He played in the NHL because he was our best option and we weren't signing players that year. It was a year to test what we had in our prospects. DeMelo passed him in the depth chart. If Mirco can't deal with that then that's on him.

There's no reason for him to lose confidence in himself when I'm sure he's been told he wasn't sent down because of his play, but because of our "plan" and he's not good enough yet to be on a team with aspirations as high as they were last year, whatever one believes they were at the beginning of last season.

If anything he should lose confidence that he's not playing good enough in the AHL against lesser players than losing confidence over being sent down after playing in the NHL when there are perfectly good reasons for that.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Mueller is unmotivated? Well that's not great to hear. I don't think he'll be getting much NHL time next year then.

Agreed. It seems he changed his attitude a bit near the end of the season and he is a young kid. That's why I said I hope he took the summer to regroup, work on his game and body and comes back this year ready to shine. Seto had the same problem if you recall, though the circumstances were different as to why he was sent down IIRC.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Agreed. It seems he changed his attitude a bit near the end of the season and he is a young kid. That's why I said I hope he took the summer to regroup, work on his game and body and comes back this year ready to shine. Seto had the same problem if you recall, though the circumstances were different as to why he was sent down IIRC.

Hopefully Mueller resolves his issues a little bit better than Seto did, and has a long career in the NHL.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
If Mueller is unmotivated than that is a major problem. Regardless of talent a lack of motivation would cripple his development. I hope he can get it together this season. We don't need him on the big club this year, but it would be great to have him develop into a top 4 guy in the coming years.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

I do, at least in the circumstances we had with him. He was terrible here, in a terrible situation with all that was going on behind the scenes on that year's team. I think it shot some of his confidence, and ended up with him being afraid of making mistakes. As a result, he tries to over-think things rather than reading and reacting and trusting his instincts. That leads to him being half a second slower than he should be, and thus chases the puck around more, hesitates a lot, and is frequently not in quite the right position.

All of those are things that Kings mod Racoon Jesus reported seeing from him in the 'Cuda's playoff games vs LA's AHL team this year. That's why I think rushing him up set him back.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We didn't ruin Mueller by rushing him, he was just never that good to begin with.

I'm kinda uninspired after the first two. I'm almost tempted to say Letunov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad