7. Thomas Bordeleau 37.7%
8. Daniil Gushchin 55.7%
9. Cam Lund 47.8%
10. Mattias Havelid 62.5%
11. Kasper Halttunen 44.8%

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I went with Cagnoni. I think the next one should be Makaniemi or Chrona but I’ve been historically awful with analyzing goalies (see my love for Gaudreau, Hill, and Kahkonen).

Robo for the fourth straight round. Shocked he’s this far down. Arguably our best rookie in the AHL last season behind Eklund, one of the last cuts in training camp and finished the year in the NHL.
My big issue with Robins is I don’t see the top end potential. Maybe I’m wrong there but I don’t see much more than a 3C.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
As I’m looking through EK proposals I am curious. Where do people think Owen Pickering would fit on this list. I have not seen him play or even read about him. He is a LD that is 6’4”. Is he on par with Muk or Thurn, is he below them but above Havelid?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As I’m looking through EK proposals I am curious. Where do people think Owen Pickering would fit on this list. I have not seen him play or even read about him. He is a LD that is 6’4”. Is he on par with Muk or Thurn, is he below them but above Havelid?
The homer in me probably has him a small step below Muk and Thrun but he’s probably on par. Might even be a small step above. He almost reminds me of the D version of Bystedt. Was seen as a safe bottom of the lineup type player (4-6 D compared to Bystedt’s 3rd-4th line C) but had a good year and now people are saying his ceiling might be higher. I’m not a huge fan of him as I think his best case scenario is like a Ryan Graves or Ryan Lindgren type player. Basically complimentary defensive D. Some of the scouting reports that I read last year mentioned him having an offensive game that I just never saw.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I'd place him around Shak and ahead of Thrun. He still has some developing to do but I think he could be the stronger prospect of the 3.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I think Gawanke is being slept on here.

It's clear he was off to Germany until we traded for him - we must have more or less promised him NHL time to sign.

There couldn't be a better time to see what he has at NHL level, even if he doesn't have a full defensive game. Kid can shoot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Gawanke is being slept on here.

It's clear he was off to Germany until we traded for him - we must have more or less promised him NHL time to sign.

There couldn't be a better time to see what he has at NHL level, even if he doesn't have a full defensive game. Kid can shoot.
He’s also 24 and has never played an NHL game. There’s a couple former Sharks D that had a questionable defensive game and had good shots and neither worked.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I voted Robins. He’s a bit of an enigma to me - he has a fairly high level of skill and did really well in his first year as a rookie. He’s tiny though, and I’m not sure he’s skilled enough for his size to succeed in the NHL. I like the little guy though, and I think there’s a small chance he can pop off and become a top 6 winger but it’s a very small chance.

A scoring 3C would be a big success too.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He’s also 24 and has never played an NHL game. There’s a couple former Sharks D that had a questionable defensive game and had good shots and neither worked.
Someone mentioned Tim Heed. I also remember one of Mirco Mueller's first goals as a Shark when he ripped a great shot. Even Timo, they said his shot was NHL-ready but when he arrived it was just inaccurate and lacked deception. I'm not gonna be fooled again haha, I need to see the shot consistently work at the NHL level. NHL goalies are a different beast compared to goalies in lower leagues.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Someone mentioned Tim Heed. I also remember one of Mirco Mueller's first goals as a Shark when he ripped a great shot. Even Timo, they said his shot was NHL-ready but when he arrived it was just inaccurate and lacked deception. I'm not gonna be fooled again haha, I need to see the shot consistently work at the NHL level. NHL goalies are a different beast compared to goalies in lower leagues.
Yeah, a 24-year old with zero NHL experience despite spending years in the AHL is almost certainly never much of a prospect. I do very much hope he turns into something, but the odds of him turning into anything really useful have to be considered pretty low. We just happen to be the sort of team in a position to take such risks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah I was thinking Heed and Irwin. Like @Cas said, I hope he turns into something. Winnipeg did have a good amount of defenseman and maybe it was just a depth thing but I’m only going to hope until he shows something. Hell if he can win a spot in the NHL this year, I’ll be happy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yeah I was thinking Heed and Irwin. Like @Cas said, I hope he turns into something. Winnipeg did have a good amount of defenseman and maybe it was just a depth thing but I’m only going to hope until he shows something. Hell if he can win a spot in the NHL this year, I’ll be happy.
Irwin's an interesting case because he has ended up having a relatively long career as a depth player in the NHL, for whatever reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad