Confirmed with Link: Samsanov 1 year 2 mil

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A bit more than double his previous cap hit and a very short term. Serious message being sent.

How many other 1A goaltenders are making $2M or less on a 1yr deal this season?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So instead of the 2 year $1 mil (or $1.5 mil) everyone was expecting, it's the opposite.

1 year show me contract.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At that number they can't carry an extra forward and defender so there will be more moves to come. It may eventually just be waiving Kempny but probably shouldn't be just that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm calling it now! Kuzy and Sammy had a real eye opener year last season and this offseason for them. Swirling trade rumors and contract negotiations can do that to you.

This season with the Kuzy bounceback and Sammy with his breakout!
This team is a Cup contender with bounceback Kuzy and breakout Sammy. With last year's version of each they're a bubble playoff team. Here's hoping you're right.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At that number they can't carry an extra forward and defender so there will be more moves to come. It may eventually just be waiving Kempny but probably shouldn't be just that.

We've talked about that. Alexeyev is the 7 in Hershey. I think one of Jensen or Schultz is gone so they are not scratching TvR

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Huh, I guess this is kinda his last shot in Washington. I suspect if he has another year like last year they will have no choice but to move him. If that does happen, where do you turn in goal? I love me some VV but that is a 1b if I've ever seen one. I guess you could hope a team has cap issues and has to dump a good goalie ala Carolina this offseason but odds are they are going to have to either pay via FA or trade if Sammy struggles again.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think Vanecek is going to be a good level better. He can play them past bubble status

Vanecek over achieved. He will not match the numbers he just had this past season. Caps rookie backups have had good numbers 3 of the last 4 seasons. None have had better numbers in their sophomore year. Every team gets scouting reports on goalies, as Vanecek is not some hidden secret anymore. Because of his limited skills/stature, he is at best a backup/1B goalie. He needs to put a lot of work in to improving his rebound control. The only positive I can give Vanecek right now, is that he has good work ethics despite having limited goalie skills.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Huh, I guess this is kinda his last shot in Washington. I suspect if he has another year like last year they will have no choice but to move him. If that does happen, where do you turn in goal? I love me some VV but that is a 1b if I've ever seen one. I guess you could hope a team has cap issues and has to dump a good goalie ala Carolina this offseason but odds are they are going to have to either pay via FA or trade if Sammy struggles again.

If it comes to that, then go after John Gibson with the Ducks. That Ducks team aint gonna be good for plenty of years and Gibson goalie skill set will just be wasted. The Eichel deal never happened, but Kuzy still has enough talent to be a trade good chip, but he has to prove it this coming season.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Well either way, this means both our goalies, Samsonov and Vanecek, are in their contract years this year.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Caps rookie backups have had good numbers 3 of the last 4 seasons. None have had better numbers in their sophomore year.

How are you figuring it’s 3 out of 4 years?

2017-2018 — Grubauer (good numbers, not a rookie)
2018-2019 — Copley (decent numbers, hasn’t played in NHL since [while putting up unflattering numbers in Hershey])
2019-2020 — Samsonov (good first half, poor ever since)
2020-2021 — Vanecek.

Copley as NHL backup was always a stretch and a stop-gap. Samsonov was handed a backup job having not decisively won it out of camp, and then found himself a presumptive starter two years in a row because of cap issues and his pedigree rather than his play. Suggesting VV’s performance was Caps rookie luck alone only goes to emphasise how bad Samsonov has been. And Vanecek has yet to have his sophomore season, and no Caps rookie goaltender has had the same workload or pressure he performed under in years.

If the Caps were as down on VV as you are, they wouldn’t have reacquired him. If Seattle’s scouts thought he was a talentless tweeter, they wouldn’t have taken him to be their backup (before Grubauer fell in their laps), and five other teams wouldn’t have been calling about him…

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How are you figuring it’s 3 out of 4 years?

2017-2018 — Grubauer (good numbers, not a rookie)
2018-2019 — Copley (decent numbers, hasn’t played in NHL since [while putting up unflattering numbers in Hershey])
2019-2020 — Samsonov (good first half, poor ever since)
2020-2021 — Vanecek.

Copley as NHL backup was always a stretch and a stop-gap. Samsonov was handed a backup job having not decisively won it out of camp, and then found himself a presumptive starter two years in a row because of cap issues and his pedigree rather than his play. Suggesting VV’s performance was Caps rookie luck alone only goes to emphasise how bad Samsonov has been. And Vanecek has yet to have his sophomore season, and no Caps rookie goaltender has had the same workload or pressure he performed under in years.

If the Caps were as down on VV as you are, they wouldn’t have reacquired him. If Seattle’s scouts thought he was a talentless tweeter, they wouldn’t have taken him to be their backup (before Grubauer fell in their laps), and five other teams wouldn’t have been calling about him…

VV was sought after because of his rookie year numbers and his very cheap $716k salary. He over achieved. The scouting report is out on him now and it will be a big challenge for him to improve on his rookie season. You can potentially mock my words if you want, but I'm telling you Vanecek will have a sophomore slump season!

Thanks for listing the facts because you just proved what I said. Copley, Samsonov and Vanecek all rookies in their first season. Copley/Samsonov already showed to fail improvement in their 2nd pro year(Copley wasn't even good enough to stick and Sammy did a whole bunch of wrong). My statement also is predicting what's gonna happen to VV. He will have a sophomore slump season.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
VV was sought after because of his rookie year numbers and his very cheap $716k salary. He over achieved. The scouting report is out on him now and it will be a big challenge for him to improve on his rookie season. You can potentially mock my words if you want, but I'm telling you Vanecek will have a sophomore slump season!

Thanks for listing the facts because you just proved what I said. Copley, Samsonov and Vanecek all rookies in their first season. Copley/Samsonov already showed to fail improvement in their 2nd pro year(Copley wasn't even good enough to stick and Sammy did a whole bunch of wrong). My statement also is predicting what's gonna happen to VV. He will have a sophomore slump season.

I wasn’t mocking your words, I was trying to make sense of them. The last two rookie goaltenders to have sophomore seasons in the NHL were Grubauer and Samsonov - both of whom are still in the league, and one of whom was a Vezina finalist.

Copley put up okay numbers in a backup role - Vanecek did it as the team’s starter for most of the season. Vanecek has just had two strong pro seasons in a row - all-star numbers in the AHL, and respectable numbers in the NHL. Copley was sub-.900 in the AHL the year before he backed up Holtby, and then put up similar numbers in the AHL the following year.

At any rate, Copley lost the job to Samsonov not because he underperformed, but because they needed to see what they had in Samsonov before Holtby’s contract was up. There really isn’t much of a pattern you can draw from this, that I can see anyway.

None of that is to say you’re wrong about Vanecek - you may well be right that Vanecek will struggle. He is not technically exceptional or excellent in any area, which doesn’t give him that much to offset his weaknesses. But he’s still young (for a modern goaltender), like Samsonov, and has a decent chance to get better rather than decline (though perhaps with a different goalie coach…). Maybe both goaltenders will put up better numbers not having to play the same seven teams on repeat all year. But it isn’t Vanecek I’d be worried about right now - especially if Samsonov is going to be treated as a number 1.

And you still have to wonder how both goaltenders might be performing differently if they were under a different coach - imagine what Mitch Korn could do with them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
all-star numbers in the AHL
Ehhhh.... Vanecek got an AHL All-Star Game selection in 2019 because every team gets an All-Star and the Bears didn't have much going for them. He wasn't initially selected in 2020, but got to go because Igor Shesterkin and Chris Dreidger both pulled out after being called up to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad