Sam Calabrese

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
I wouldn't say "next big thing". There was a lot of hype about him when he was younger, but it's sort of starting to quiet down some. He's still very talented. Probably the best skater in his age group, but he's not very big. He either turned down the NTDP, or didn't get selected to the team.

I know some people have him towards the top of the 2009 draft, but I think he'll end up more towards the end of the first round by the time it's all said and done.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Is this guy supposed to be the next big thing out of America?

Again I've only heard a little about him and would like some more info on him.

Thanks

no. hes a 5-9 defenseman, that probably isnt going to grow much more. he didnt get an offer from the ntdp after tryouts. they already received commitments from 7 other defenseman that were picked before calabrese, so if he is going to be on the team, it will be as a forward.

sounds alot like carter camper. he'll play d-1 hockey, but after that its anyones guess.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
Sam Calabrese plays defense on the NTDP, but he has played forward occasionally this year. He is no longer the next Bobby Orr which is what some people said when he was young. That comparison should never have even come up, and now those lofty expectations have scouts scrutinizing a very average player. Yes ,he is already commited to play college hockey ,but that is all I believe he will make. Perhaps one day play in the European ranks, but he was overhyped and overrated from a very young age. Many players have surpassed him now.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
bump

what's up with Sam these days?

I don't think the outlook is nearly as pessimistic as has been said.

Sam committed himself to actually playing defense last year. For having relied on his skills for as long as he has, it was really quite surprising how quickly he became an adequate shutdown d-man.

This year, he's been let off the leash more, and he's tied for the NTDP lead in scoring among defenders. He's slowly becoming relevant again and I'm happy for him.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
This year, he's been let off the leash more, and he's tied for the NTDP lead in scoring among defenders. He's slowly becoming relevant again and I'm happy for him.

By my count, he only has one assist while actually playing defense this year. He's played forward in more than half of their games.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
By my count, he only has one assist while actually playing defense this year. He's played forward in more than half of their games.
He's actually playing a similar game to Chris Summers, though not as big nor as physical. He's still very solid defensively and is versatile enough to play forward to make use of his skating and offensive skill. But you're right in that he's been used more as a forward so far.

He could be a late round pick, but I don't see him as an NHLer. Still, he's talented enough to take a flier on.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
He's actually playing a similar game to Chris Summers, though not as big nor as physical. He's still very solid defensively and is versatile enough to play forward to make use of his skating and offensive skill. But you're right in that he's been used more as a forward so far.

He could be a late round pick, but I don't see him as an NHLer. Still, he's talented enough to take a flier on.

I was just going to ask his playing style and suggest Summers based on the style given in other posts(haven't seen him play)

Where is he commited to for College? Does anyone think he can post decent college #'s?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad