Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett and 6th (2022) traded to Florida for 2nd (2022) and Emil Heineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sure hope that Emil Heineman and that 2022 2nd round pick turn out to be great players because right now there are a lot of people thinking that Calgary really dropped the ball here.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So just to be clear, if Bennett were to not replicate the same level of success this coming season does that mean Florida is also 'inept'? Or would it suggest that the topic of Sam Bennett perhaps a little more complex than 'franchise bad'.
You mean continue to score at a 123 point pace? Obviously not because otherwise he would signed for 10M+.

But if you don't think he can manage to hold onto that second line center spot because of all that time in Calgary he spent never playing center, then well, we will see, won't we.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we trade for Eichel, all is forgiven here.
Bennett wasn't going to be the guy Florida got for those 15 games here.

I don't see him as 100 point player or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 50 this season (unless the wheels completely fall off in Florida).

If you can get 50 points and some nasty then 4M+ on this guy is gravy contract-wise.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Just glad he has some security on this contract. The guy busted his ass in every role he was given here and just got 2 year show-me deals. Florida knows they have a talent there. We really dropped the ball but I've said more than enough with this story

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You mean continue to score at a 123 point pace? Obviously not because otherwise he would signed for 10M+.

But if you don't think he can manage to hold onto that second line center spot because of all that time in Calgary he spent never playing center, then well, we will see, won't we.

I’d suggest reading the rest of the thread. Good sidestep of the question though.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Guy got $17.6 million for a 10 game stretch.

Huberdeau and Duclair are owed about $10 million of that. I mean good for Bennett, I have no reason to hate the guy and it's good to see he can sign at least one decent contract in his career.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I just don't see how he suddenly becomes this superstar after I have watched him for years. Very likely he falls back down to Earth.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I get why Florida did that deal. Say they did a one year deal at a similar AAV and he even does a steady 55 point year as sexind line C, suddenly you're looking at 1-1.5 more per year. It's a risk but I get it

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I just don't see how he suddenly becomes this superstar after I have watched him for years. Very likely he falls back down to Earth.

If you watched any of the Florida games/clips you you'd see a lot of his points were what I would call puck luck. He made some good plays, but a majority of his points are from secondary assists, tap in goals, or assists where the goal scorer did all the work. He plays with Huberdeau, a more consistent Gaudreau. Come playoff times he was the same Bennett as always, taking dumb penalties which cost his team games.

Like I said, good on Bennett for making some money, but there is still a reason why he is only making $4 mil, just as there is a reason Lindholm is making under $5 mil. Can Bennett become another Lindholm and live up to his hype? We'll see, but I doubt it.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Shots fired
Outside of getting to enjoy his hobbies of golfing, boating and fishing, Bennett is once again excited about his future on the ice. “A lot of people talked to me about how a change of scenery can really revitalize a career and change the way things go,” Bennett said. “I knew I still had a lot more to give and more to show as a player. I thought I could do a lot more than what I was doing in Calgary. Sometimes that’s all it takes, a little bit of a change, a GM and a coach that believe in you and that’s definitely what I got in Florida.”
Bennett benefitted Florida in all areas. Averaging slightly more than 18 minutes per game, up from his 13:28 while in Calgary, Bennett’s duties also included time on Florida’s first power-play unit and on the penalty kill. “The opportunity alone was a ton,” Bennett said.
If the Panthers have learned anything in two seasons under coach Joel Quenneville, though, confidence can have a dramatic effect on players erasing blemishes. Bennett notes playing under the three-time Cup winner has had a transformative effect on his play. “He’s a coach that once he trusts you and believes in you, he’ll put you in situations to succeed,” Bennett said. “He gives pointers here and there and advice. But he’ll let you play hockey, too. It’s been unbelievable and I couldn’t be happier with my time under ‘Q.’ ”

Sunny Days Ahead for Sam Bennett

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
None of that is really shots fired. He's saying positive things about Florida (where things have clearly gone very well so far) without claiming that things were worse in Calgary. He also repeatedly praised Sutter before being traded.

This is a far cry from what James "the real heel" whined about after his trade.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’ll be cheering Bennett on when he hoists the Cup this year.

Shame on the Flames.
Call me skeptical but I'm still not convinced that the Bennett we saw in Florida in 2021 is the same Bennett we'll see in 2021-22.
Remember when Bennett scored 4 goals in a game? Ya.. that never happened again. In fact he's never ever scored 3 goals in a game.
Players get hot.... then they disappear... all the time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Call me skeptical but I'm still not convinced that the Bennett we saw in Florida in 2021 is the same Bennett we'll see in 2021-22.
Remember when Bennett scored 4 goals in a game? Ya.. that never happened again. In fact he's never ever scored 3 goals in a game.
Players get hot.... then they disappear... all the time.
How many guys capable of 20p in 15gp while putting up excellent underlying numbers just disappear?

I'm not saying he's going to be a 120 point player, but the odds of him becoming anything less than a 50 point player in Florida are pretty low if he continues to get the usage he's gotten.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
How many guys capable of 20p in 15gp while putting up excellent underlying numbers just disappear?

I'm not saying he's going to be a 120 point player, but the odds of him becoming anything less than a 50 point player in Florida are pretty low if he continues to get the usage he's gotten.

While he never had quite that level of streak here, he did have many streaks here where he then completely vaporized. I can understand why anyone would be skeptical of the production at this point.

That said, he is probably going to continue to get every opportunity to succeed in Flordia, and I suspect he will earn that top 6 spot.

Two things can be true. The Flames mishandled Bennett, but Bennett is also as streaky a player as there is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
While he never had quite that level of streak here, he did have many streaks here where he then completely vaporized. I can understand why anyone would be skeptical of the production at this point.

That said, he is probably going to continue to get every opportunity to succeed in Flordia, and I suspect he will earn that top 6 spot.

Two things can be true. The Flames mishandled Bennett, but Bennett is also as streaky a player as there is.

I do think Bennett is a player who thrives on confidence, and those players can tend towards streakiness. This is actually pretty common among high pace / skilled players - Johnny Gaudreau is an example.

But I also think playing a guy in the wrong position with 4th line scrubs is going to result in inconsistent play from pretty much any player in the league.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
One thing that could cause problems for Bennett is Florida’s acquisition of Reinhart, a player who just played the best hockey of his career as a centre and has a much more proven track record from the same draft. I have no doubts Bennett will be tried first as the 2C after the end of last season, but I don’t see the team hesitating to use Reinhardt in that role if Bennett gets cold. If Reinhardt runs with that spot Bennett is right back in a familiar situation; not one of the top centers on his team, but can’t produce quality hockey unless he’s played as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad