Salary Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
I know with all the CBA crap going on that a lockout was going to happen, but to avert the lockout and keep hockey going why didn't they just do a salary freeze so that hockey could have contiuned? They could have come up with some sort of middle area for any players that did not have a contract. At least this way we still would get to our hockey and more then likely worked out something. I know that sometimes you need to do things to the extreme to get a point across, but is it worth screwing up something worth it?

chiavsfan

They could have come up with some sort of middle area for any players that did not have a contract. At least this way we still would get to our hockey and more then likely worked out something.

Actually, that would probably be the sticking point. What would be "middle ground?" What about players that wanted to go to other teams? I think when all is said and done, there would have been more in-fighting over what middle ground is on those unsigned contracts, than there currently is over the CBA. Plus, if they didn't work on a new CBA after predicting it's doom over 3 years ago...what would make them do it during a "salary freeze" season

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
chiavsfan said:
Actually, that would probably be the sticking point. What would be "middle ground?"

Somehow I think they could have come up with something, but I understand they would have been some figthing on it.

chiavsfan said:
What about players that wanted to go to other teams?

I am sure trades would have still happened. Are you talking about UFA's? I guess that may have gotten sticky.

chiavsfan said:
Plus, if they didn't work on a new CBA after predicting it's doom over 3 years ago...what would make them do it during a "salary freeze" season

This is both faults for not trying to start on this sooner, instead of waiting until it was a hugh problem.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
It's pretty simple, the NHL want a new system, because the old one doesn't work.
Playing under the old system would be against everything they want and would take away any bargain leverage they have.

Not to forget, freezing the salary level at what it is now, would still lead to huge losses for many teams.

SENSible1*

Keeping the players from earning NHL level salaries is the biggest leverage the NHL has in this dispute.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
there is NO middle ground. that is why there is no movement. that is why there are no negotiations. there is nothing to talk about. one side will only agree to a cba that contains a salary cap. the other side refuses to talk about anything that contains a salary cap. there is not middle ground in that issue. either there is a salary cap or there is not one.

thats the issue. the owners stand on the salary cap line. the first step they take toward the players position forces them off their salary cap demand. so..the players must come to them and negotiate a salary cap based cba that is the best they can get...the highest percentage of league revenue(the highest cap number), the biggest definition of league revenue, lowering free agent eligibility, holding strong at current arbitration and contract buy out levels and so on. THAT is all negotiable, but the players must agree to a cap before that conversation can even start....so there is no conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad