Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm going strictly off educated guesses. I am going to guess that JR has been a buyer since... August. The teams that we needed to suck are also buyers because they are good. The players available to us aren't anything to write home about and are overpriced. With the team the way it is, why give up a possible lottery 1st or a guy like Sprong if the rest of the team is going to play like ****. (Something we all wanted from JR).

Soooo my guess is JR has been shut down left and right. Root for Toronto to get lit up each night to the point where they NEED a defender. Any 3C that becomes available, other teams may be able to offer us more.

So one magical night something will happen. :laugh: That's basically it. I've seen people have good info, but ultimately JR's group is very quiet.

Ya, pretty much.

I think we can both confirm from different sources JR has been chasing Kane. How it plays out, who knows. I don't think even JR knows the answer right now.

Most stuff I've heard doesn't come to pass, so unless your are Eklund, no reason to blab about what you hear. Tons of potential trades fall apart every season for one reason or another.... way more than the ones that actually happen.

Reactions: KIRK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz

Cole-Hunwick-Oleksiak-Rudwedel

I gotta think one of Cole or Hunwick (likely Cole) will be moved for forward help. Now or at the deadline...I do not know.

Would be great if we could package Hagelin+Cole and get a center in return. Something like Hags+Cole for Pleks (25% retained)+prospect

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz

I gotta think one of Cole or Hunwick (likely Cole) will be moved for forward help. Now or at the deadline...I do not know.

Would be great if we could package Hagelin+Cole and get a center in return. Something like Hags+Cole for Pleks (25% retained)+prospect

I really hope they jettison Hunwick, but I can't see that he holds much value at all.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really hope they jettison Hunwick, but I can't see that he holds much value at all.

Hunwick is a 3rd pairing dman and he's performed like a 3rd pairing dman. Get rid of him and Cole leaves, that leaves Oleksiak-Rudwedel then...Corrado? Summers? Tinordi? We are too thin there. I'm fine with keeping Hunwick.

Everyone should be fine with Hunwick. If you don't like Hunwick, the fault lies in the eyes of the beholder. He was billed as a 3rd pairing man, he was signed as a 3rd pairing dman, he's played like a 3rd pairing dman. If you don't like him, the fault is your own because of unrealistic expectations or standards of a 3rd pairing dman.

Reactions: Riptide

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hunwick is a 3rd pairing dman and he's performed like a 3rd pairing dman. Get rid of him and Cole leaves, that leaves Oleksiak-Rudwedel then...Corrado? Summers? Tinordi? We are too thin there. I'm fine with keeping Hunwick.

Everyone should be fine with Hunwick. If you don't like Hunwick, the fault lies in the eyes of the beholder. He was billed as a 3rd pairing man, he was signed as a 3rd pairing dman, he's played like a 3rd pairing dman. If you don't like him, the fault is your own because of unrealistic expectations or standards of a 3rd pairing dman.

no, no no no no. The problem is he makes egregious decisions with the puck and gets caught out of position more times than you can shake a stick at. He's been a huge liability and a guy like Ruhwedel has played far more steadily in his bottom pair role than Hunwick. Just because you're a bottom pairing defensemen, doesn't mean we shouldn't expect a solid and steady performance from such a player.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
no, no no no no. The problem is he makes egregious decisions with the puck and gets caught out of position more times than you can shake a stick at. He's been a huge liability and a guy like Ruhwedel has played far more steadily in his bottom pair role than Hunwick. Just because you're a bottom pairing defensemen doesn't mean we shouldn't expect a solid and steady performance from such a player.

You could literally replace Hunwick in that paragraph with any current Penguins dman (except Maatta) and it would hold true.

Letang makes similiar bone headed plays. Cole gets worked often and takes frequent penalties. Schultz...is actually fine. Dumo makes similar bad decisions and gets worked. No one on the defense, sans Maatta, has been solid and steady.

With that, with the tension between Sully and Cole, I HIGHLY doubt Cole resigns. Hunwick, Oleksiak, Rudwedel for the 5/6/7 role is a'okay with me. Did he cost more than we would have liked? Sure. But it's not like he's a regularly healthy scratch at 4-5mil.

I was impressed with Hunwick's play in the playoffs last year. I'll reserve ultimate judgement until then.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You could literally replace Hunwick in that paragraph with any current Penguins dman (except Maatta) and it would hold true.

Letang makes similiar bone headed plays. Cole gets worked often and takes frequent penalties. Schultz...is actually fine. Dumo makes similar bad decisions and gets worked. No one on the defense, sans Maatta, has been solid and steady.

With that, with the tension between Sully and Cole, I HIGHLY doubt Cole resigns. Hunwick, Oleksiak, Rudwedel for the 5/6/7 role is a'okay with me. Did he cost more than we would have liked? Sure. But it's not like he's a regularly healthy scratch at 4-5mil.

I was impressed with Hunwick's play in the playoffs last year. I'll reserve ultimate judgement until then.

Letang largely has been a train wreck this season, no argument there at all! lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Interesting. STL fans think that Sobotka could be available this summer - potentially even for futures. He's been playing LW for them and they're stacked at LW. But he used to be a very very good center previously.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The LW we bring in needs to be physical and will play in the top 6.
We have a stud in Sheahan.
Why?

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
X - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust
Hags - Pleks - Simon

Plekanec is a better hockey player than Sheahan. I’ll let a few folks dig around and play with variables and voodoo statistics to show me that Sheahan has a better secondary assist rate or some other horseshit, but my eyes and brain will not be deceived.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz

Montreal has no use for that deal. They already have 6 D signed for next year and while Cole is an upgrade on Jordie Benn, I don't see them paying the price to extend him right out of the gate. They will want picks or prospects for Pleks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Plekanec is a better hockey player than Sheahan. I’ll let a few folks dig around and play with variables and voodoo statistics to show me that Sheahan has a better secondary assist rate or some other horse****, but my eyes and brain will not be deceived.

Why is that relevant though? We are not sending Sheahan out for Pleks coming in. We want depth. Pleks replaces Rowney. What sets of wingers each gets will likely change over time depending on who gels with who so at this point, I'm not sure I see a "He is 3C and he is 4C" if you bring in Plekanec. I think you'd have a 3A and 3B. Sheahan has been playing good minutes, been doing very well in the circle, and his production has picked up to a normal 3C rate.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So why would they trade him?
Iirc when they signed him they were looking at him as if he was going to end up higher in the lineup... he has been good, but hasn't been as good as they wanted for that price, and they do seem to have an internal budget they want trimmed, but they aren't actively shopping him

In any case the rumors were that JR sniffed around and the asking price was too much an overpayment or something... it was preseason.. I was kind of hoping he would blow this year and we could get him cheap ala sheahan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have a stud in Sheahan.

Plekanec is a better hockey player than Sheahan. I’ll let a few folks dig around and play with variables and voodoo statistics to show me that Sheahan has a better secondary assist rate or some other horse****, but my eyes and brain will not be deceived.

The voodoo statistic of having near a near identical points pace :laugh:

Interesting. STL fans think that Sobotka could be available this summer - potentially even for futures. He's been playing LW for them and they're stacked at LW. But he used to be a very very good center previously.

That could be a really cool pick up if they are true.

I remember you saying some of them were interested in Sobotka for Horny too. If we were to trade Horny, that'd be a pretty decent return in my eyes.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I remember you saying some of them were interested in Sobotka for Horny too. If we were to trade Horny, that'd be a pretty decent return in my eyes.

As much as I love Sobotka.... I wouldn't trade Hornqvist for him. If I knew Honrqvist wasn't re-signing... man that would be a tough one. But in the end I think I'd still keep Hornqvist. We can find another 3C - even if he's not as good as Sobotka... the drop off between Sheahan/Pleks/whomever and Sobotka will be less than the drop off between Hornqvist and whomever we then try to bring in to replace him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As much as I love Sobotka.... I wouldn't trade Hornqvist for him. If I knew Honrqvist wasn't re-signing... man that would be a tough one. But in the end I think I'd still keep Hornqvist. We can find another 3C - even if he's not as good as Sobotka... the drop off between Sheahan/Pleks/whomever and Sobotka will be less than the drop off between Hornqvist and whomever we then try to bring in to replace him.

I think for me trading Horny is something that happens if we're out of it by the deadline and he's not coming back. 2 years of 3C vs futures? Arguably the futures have more value but some assets seem pretty hard to find.

Well, Josh Bailey has more points than Sid and Geno

Sure, but its hardly a voodoo statistic like a better secondary assist rate or whatever. Its the most straightforward stat there could be.

Also...we know that Sid & Geno can be a lot better. Plekanec's recent record at his age?

Last edited:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
I've warmed up to the idea of Plekanec for a 2nd, especially if Cole could return a 2nd.

Wonder if GMJR will look at bringing in a vet goalie(Johnson from Buf) as 'insurance' for the postseason?

Also, wonder what the price is for Alex Petrovic? Just looking around for defenseman that could provide depth when Cole is traded.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Latest Pens Buzz: Will Guentzel at center stick? Latest Trade Chatter & More

Okay...someone throw a bone here. Im desperate for anything...

giphy-downsized.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So looks like Horny’s contract won’t be revisited until the summer. Term is the issue. We already knew that though.

Wonder if JR is seeing what happens with trades first and seeing what the young guys can do this season OR he really doesn’t want to give him more term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad