Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Brickley really expected to be that good? Or is he just another hyped "college free agent" who ends up being an Ethan Prow or any number of guys who never materialized?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Doubt it's likely, but it's encouraging that the Penguins aren't reported to be out yet. They could give him games in the NHL immediately if he requires that.

Just thinking about it, I think the Penguins might have a really good chance here. Their defense isn't good, so Brickley could immediately challenge for a spot. Pittsburgh has noted success with developing and fixing defensemen, I think people underrate the Penguins with development because Pouliot was a bust. They consistently turn defensemen into big money makers. They're a contending team right now.

To top it off, it seems like the Penguins were always in the mix for guys like Reilly, Vesey and Schultz when all the above wasn't even true. They just had Crosby and Malkin, which put the Penguins in heavy contention for almost everyone.

He would very likely be afforded a huge opportunity here, unfortunately if by chance he came here he'd have to play in WB for the playoff run.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is Brickley really expected to be that good? Or is he just another hyped "college free agent" who ends up being an Ethan Prow or any number of guys who never materialized?

He's comparable to Schmidt, who's another example of an undrafted defenseman who turned pro after his junior year. I like Schmidt as a comparison, at least before he broke out into a legit top-4 D. His upside is probably a #4D that you'd ideally have on your bottom pair, so like Schmidt before he broke out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, prospects are even like "Buffalo? Oh hell nah, I'd rather play for the Preds, who are like 40 deep on Defense."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
One nice side-effect of the Brassard acquisition is that Sheahan's bargaining power this summer got seriously undermined. Barring an injury to one of our other centers, we should be able to get him inked to a reasonable multi-year deal without too much trouble.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
No, he just can't play in the playoffs. He'll sign an ELC, burn a year of it by playing in games this year and then not be eligible for the playoffs.

Assumed that was the question..only 6 games left , no reason for us to play him now if signed and waste a year

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One nice side-effect of the Brassard acquisition is that Sheahan's bargaining power this summer got seriously undermined. Barring an injury to one of our other centers, we should be able to get him inked to a reasonable multi-year deal without too much trouble.

Worst case scenario: just qualify him (I believe they only have to match his current contract) and worry about him moving on as a UFA the next season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sheahan never really had much bargaining power. MAYBE he could've gotten a couple hundred grand more than he's making now, but by the numbers, that's a maybe. He's got a year, and then he's a UFA. Honestly, I expect the Pens to qualify him (offering the 2.05M he's making now) and for Sheahan's agent to advise him to accept it.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Doubt it's likely, but it's encouraging that the Penguins aren't reported to be out yet. They could give him games in the NHL immediately if he requires that.

Just thinking about it, I think the Penguins might have a really good chance here. Their defense isn't good, so Brickley could immediately challenge for a spot. Pittsburgh has noted success with developing and fixing defensemen, I think people underrate the Penguins with development because Pouliot was a bust. They consistently turn defensemen into big money makers. They're a contending team right now.

To top it off, it seems like the Penguins were always in the mix for guys like Reilly, Vesey and Schultz when all the above wasn't even true. They just had Crosby and Malkin, which put the Penguins in heavy contention for almost everyone.

I can't imagine that the Pens won't be 'in' on any of the top college free agent defensemen. We have Ruh and Hunwick as our #6 and #7 and nothing really to speak of in WBS. It's as legit a chance to play not as any college free agent defenseman will find.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

So the Penguins aren't a team he's visiting, but maybe they're in his top-5. Those seem like kinda odd choices to be honest, why would anyone want to go anywhere near the Wings? San Jose and the Kings are also pretty deep on defense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

So the Penguins aren't a team he's visiting, but maybe they're in his top-5. Those seem like kinda odd choices to be honest, why would anyone want to go anywhere near the Wings? San Jose and the Kings are also pretty deep on defense.

Maybe he likes warmer weather and cars....

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Brickley is from Salt Lake City, so an interest in west coast teams isn't necessarily surprising. Detroit is close to where he plays college hockey, and their defense is such a mess that one could assume he'll get every opportunity to start.

I would doubt that the Pens are in his top 5, but who knows. I would think that Boston is because of his uncle, but again who knows.

One thing I wonder . . . what kind of reputation do the Pens have when it comes to young defensemen? It's one thing to say that he could compete for a spot. BUT, if you're a young offensive defenseman who needs to work on his defensive game, how appealing is Pittsburgh as a destination when you look at how some young defensemen of similar background have fared?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Well the Wings are thin on defense . He might slot in immediately

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And kronwall might retire /be bought out...

Retirement, I could see. But, I don't see a buyout. It will cost them less to just pay his salary for the season, and I think he's still effective enough to play on a defense that thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad