Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Olli Maatta is a huge problem, and that problem will only get worse as the league shifts to a more speed-oriented, skilled style. The NHL is and has always been a copycat league, and with the success the Penguins and Knights have had over the past several years, you know for damn sure more teams are gonna prefer speed and skill. Maatta's gonna get torched nightly. :(
The idea that Olli Maatta is a "huge problem" is laughable.

In regular season and playoffs combined, here's where Maatta stands at 5 on 5 compared to the rest of the Pens D who played at least 40 games.
Points - 22, tied for 1st
Goals - 7, 1st
Points per 60 minutes - 0.9, 1st
Corsi For % - 51.62, 5th
Relative Corsi - -0.62, 5th
Goals For % - 52.21, 3rd
Relative Goals For - 4.23, 3rd

He's a very good bottom pair defensemen who is still quite capable of being a top four defenseman since he's only 23 years old.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Total bummer that he really likes his blueline. I personally think that's of bigger concern than the forwards.

I agree. If we bring back our forwards, I'm pretty confident the group would figure it out and be really good.

The defense is a gigantic question mark for me. It's not like anyone is particularly terrible...it's just something doesn't work with them.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Schultz and Hagelin were not massively undervalued, they simply didn't work in the position/team they were on.

Schultz was put front and center too early. Bad team good player syndrome. When he wasn't the main cog he flourished here.
Hagelin proved his worth when playing for the NYRs but he clashed with the much slower Ducks team.

That's exactly my point? We got both of those players when their values were at an all-time low. Both of their analytic performances indicated that they would flourish with us and that they were just in bad situations with their current teams.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Is there anything new from JR here or is it the same stuff he has been saying?

“Rutherford is probably more likely to change things up with his forwards. He’s very pleased with his blue linE”

“He loves Olli Maatta”

Couple of red flags for me. That defense was a nightmare last year. Chalking it up to being tired is a little irresponsible. Maybe this is Rutherford’s way of maintaining the upper hand on trades so he doesn’t look like he’s rushed into doing anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's say that the Penguins offered Rust for Domi because they want another winger like Domi, as in a skilled top-6 LWer to play with Malkin or Crosby. If the Penguins are still looking to make that kind of move, what other LWers would you be targeting with using Rust as the centerpiece?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would anyone be opposed to trading Maatta for the Blackhawks 1st+prospect or Dallas 1st+prospect, then sign De Haan or Moore? Even though Maatta is better than those two, they can really skate and they fit our system much much better.

Would really depend on the prospect. That and I absolutely hate the idea of moving someone with a hope/plan of signing their replacement in FA, when you can't even talk to said player until after the draft. I'd be much more comfortable trading Maatta for futures after the draft and after we had a chance to talk to Moore or CDH.

That said... the odds of Rutherford trading Maatta is damn slim, as management really like him.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Side note, what a click bait title for the article. Jesus yohe you already have my money.

The Athletic is a quality site. I don’t regret my decision, lots of good coverage of all Pittsburgh teams. Plus, I’ve always liked Yohe, one of the few beat writers I’m willing to support.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Why would we trade a 3MM 2nd line center for a 4.5MM top 6 winger that is going to make BANK next summer? Can we afford to pay Patches 7MM long term?
1. Because we’re in win now mode and Pacioretty is better than Brassard
2. We’re not going to re-sign Brassard either
3. We potentially would replace Kessel with Patches a year from now (Kessel should be re-evaluated every year)

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Let's say that the Penguins offered Rust for Domi because they want another winger like Domi, as in a skilled top-6 LWer to play with Malkin or Crosby. If the Penguins are still looking to make that kind of move, what other LWers would you be targeting with using Rust as the centerpiece?

I would see what it would take to get Skinner for Rust+

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The difference is that we still have Brass for this season whereas Pleks is likely a lock to return to Montreal if they want him. JR can still flip Brass if it's "overkill" and recoup all his assets or more.

Sorry, somehow missed this.

The difference is depth all around and maybe not bowing out in the 2nd round. They played the heck out of the top two pairings. Usually they could trust just rolling the three pairs. The D is what cost them trying to do too much. So many pinches/gaffs at the blueline converted into goals the other way.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

A player that came to my mind was AA, hes an RFA like Domi was and Rust is.

Rust is also from Michigan so maybe that would be a nice bonus for Detroit.

AA and Detroit also don't seem to have a great relationship.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Must be fluky as all hell to be a non-solid dman yet on ice for only 2 goals against in nearly ES play off minutes.

He also had the highest percentage of offensive zone starts at ES in the playoffs.

Maatta has platooned. He’s defensively aware, but I’m not sure he’s good enough to be a Dumo type.

He’s offensively skilled, but had two assists when it mattered.

Cut bait. He’s too expensive for what he brings here.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Side note, what a click bait title for the article. Jesus yohe you already have my money.
It's search engine optimization so that the article comes up among the first few hits on Google and other search engines. You want as specific of a URL as possible for that to happen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I remain convinced that people way overtalk the extent to which our defensive issues are due to our blue line personnel. They play a wide open system that's always going to give up chances and their duties are as much about springing the forwards to create their own chances. Bring in different dmen and you'll get the same results.

Seems a bit optimistic to hope for Skinner with Rust as a centre piece...

Maybe you ask Vegas whether their buyer's remorse on Tatar extends as far as a trade?

Alternately, maybe ask Tampa whether they fancy shedding some cap by moving Palat.

Maybe Rangers would like to cash in on Namestnikov.

Speaking of Rangers, anyone think the Kevin Hayes rumours are credible? Any interest in him, particularly if the team does move Brassard?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
1. Because we’re in win now mode and Pacioretty is better than Brassard
2. We’re not going to re-sign Brassard either
3. We potentially would replace Kessel with Patches a year from now (Kessel should be re-evaluated every year)

I can't imagine we're trading Brassard for Patches even up, even if Montreal retains on him. There's plenty of sufficient LW options for us, I don't see many 2C options for Montreal.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Athanasiou for Rust is actually a really interesting suggestion. It definitely fits the mold of a more skilled LWer for Rust, and I think Athanasiou would have the potential to explode here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I want no part of Ferris contract hell.

He also had the highest percentage of offensive zone starts at ES in the playoffs.

Maatta has platooned. He’s defensively aware, but I’m not sure he’s good enough to be a Dumo type.

He’s offensively skilled, but had two assists when it mattered.

Cut bait. He’s too expensive for what he brings here.

Highest percentage of offensive zone starts comes nowhere near to explaining his GA stat.

And do you mean plateaued, or are you using platooned to suggest he's a leech? Either way... he's nowhere near done developing, not at his age and when his physical development has been so slowed. He's defensively aware enough to be a regular leader in GA, offensively skilled enough to have 7 in 18 and 8 in 25 when it matters (this playoffs were the first time he's dropped below 0.3ppg), and in a world where Kulikov, Brendan Smith and Karl Alzner all demand 4m+ in free agency, he really is not too expensive for what he is to us.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I want no part of Ferris contract hell.

For AA, I'd probably take the chance.

Highest percentage of offensive zone starts comes nowhere near to explaining his GA stat.

And do you mean plateaued, or are you using platooned to suggest he's a leech? Either way... he's nowhere near done developing, not at his age and when his physical development has been so slowed. He's defensively aware enough to be a regular leader in GA, offensively skilled enough to have 7 in 18 and 8 in 25 when it matters (this playoffs were the first time he's dropped below 0.3ppg), and in a world where Kulikov, Brendan Smith and Karl Alzner all demand 4m+ in free agency, he really is not too expensive for what he is to us.

Too expensive? No, I don't think so. But he is expensive, and when he's not an 'ideal' fit, and due to his poor skating likely isn't going to move up in the lineup all that much... that makes his 4m price tag an easy target for improvement.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I remain convinced that people way overtalk the extent to which our defensive issues are due to our blue line personnel. They play a wide open system that's always going to give up chances and their duties are as much about springing the forwards to create their own chances. Bring in different dmen and you'll get the same results.

Different D-men resulted in Stanley Cups. Just saying. Other D-men were able to spell and round out the top 6 meaning they all could play in any situation.

Ruh and Hunwick accounted for -0- these playoffs, just as Ruh did last year. There was -0- depth at actually moving that puck up.

Maatta wasn't much better. The top 4 were over taxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->