Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Forget the whale ... We'll buy the place with beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Letang+1st for RNH+Puljujarvi+1st

Kessel or Horny+1st to Calgary for Brodie

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Puljujarvi-RNH-Kessel/Horny
Hags-Sheahan-Reaves/Archi/Kuhn

Dumoulin-Brodie
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Rudwedel

Mur-ray
Jar-ray

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Players I would refuse to move:
- Sid/Geno (clearly and no need for explanation)
- Guentzel - because the ELC contract and what he does is worth more than anything you could get back reasonably. He's untouchable right now for me.
- Murray - No need for explanation
- Sprong - Because we don't have a single player in the clubhouse with his skillset. Keep him.

And while I don't want to move guys like Kessel, Rust, Letang, Hornqvist, Schultz... If an insane offer came, I would dabble. The other ones are nonstarters. I'd hang the phone up before you even told me the absurd price you'd pay.

I know I'm a big Rust fan boy but still...I'd add him to this list. He's cheap this year and likely won't cost a ton to re-sign, plays everywhere and will be needed particularly when Hags gets moved or leaves as a UFA. He does so much for the team

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know I'm a big Rust fan boy but still...I'd add him to this list. He's cheap this year and likely won't cost a ton to re-sign, plays everywhere and will be needed particularly when Hags gets moved or leaves as a UFA. He does so much for the team

5x2m i offer Rust right now. And I pray he takes it. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Deal from strength. Sprong if he is the real deal makes Kessel or Horny expendable after this year. Horny will be resigned as long as the cost is around for 4 years @4.5. Kessel is at 5.1 million in salary after this year. Pens can get some nice assets back for him. Love Phil and his contributions but asset management can extend the teams drive for cups.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From what I understood from the media, which is the only real source of info anyone on the outside of the organization has, McPhee was NOT moving any forwards over the summer until he saw what he had--and then, it seemed the only ones under consideration were upcoming UFAs like Neal at the TDL. He has said he was only interested in moving D men since he had too many.
I don't think it's fair to assume JR never contacted Vegas before the season started about their centers. In fact, I bet he did and was told no. But at least there's no info to the contrary

Oh of course he contacted McPhee. I'm just saying that he should have made an aggressive offer. It's one thing to say you aren't moving Karlsson and another to turn down a 1st+ for him when your plan is to be a cup contender by year 5-7.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Oh of course he contacted McPhee. I'm just saying that he should have made an aggressive offer. It's one thing to say you aren't moving Karlsson and another to turn down a 1st+ for him when your plan is to be a cup contender by year 5-7.

How do you know he didn't ? He might have offered Sprong and a 1st and McPhee said, sorry, I have a young center here that I value more and I think I'll get a higher 1st from another team at the TDL for another player. I'm just saying, and others have been saying, that McPhee has not been open to moving his young forwards yet....we'll see, TBD in the future, and if he does, we'll all be interested to see where they go and for what

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How do you know he didn't ? He might have offered Sprong and a 1st and McPhee said, sorry, I have a young center here that I value more and I think I'll get a higher 1st from another team at the TDL for another player. I'm just saying, and others have been saying, that McPhee has not been open to moving his young forwards yet....we'll see, TBD in the future, and if he does, we'll all be interested to see where they go and for what

I don't know, but I'm using my brain. How realistic do you believe it is that JR offered Sprong+1st for William Karlsson? Like seriously?

Whatever though, I get your and Seal's point. We don't know what JR offered anyone so we can't critique what he didn't do.

I'll give him props for not doing anything stupid, but I'm skeptical that his patience will pay off in the 3C hunt.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Cullen would want to be traded here if Minnesota ends up being sellers this year.

Their is lots of hockey to be played, but when you look at that central division you got

Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Winnipeg
Dallas

I'm not sure if the Wild are better then any of those 5 teams.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I would really like him here. Was he ever a center in his career? I feel like he was...but I can't put my finger on where I thought I knew that from. Mandela Effect I spose. I don't see a Hagelin-Grabner swap...but I would be all over it if it were on the table.

For Sheary and a 1st I think you get your pick of Vegas centers. That's too much for any center on their roster that's reasonably available. I wouldn't let Sheary and a 1st go for Lindberg, Karlsson, or Haula. Eakin...pshhhhh...I'd want something else coming back with him. Bottom line, that's too much. The longer in the tooth Sid and Geno get, the more important those 1st get. Right now, like last year, I believe getting a quality center prospect into the system should be priority #1, so unless we are getting back an early 20's stud, I don't think the 1st should be on the table unless it's a no brainer deal - like getting Duchene back.

I would assume so. IIRC, Duchene, Galchenyuk, Sheahan, Shore, Tierney were the names talked about. Problem with Galchenyuk is that the Bergy shot himself in the foot with a 50 BMG by giving him that $4.5mil/yr contract. He's their 4C right now too. Unless there's major retention, I just don't see it happening unless it's a TDL deal with a Hags-Gally swap and even then I don't know...

It's really tough for me to roster build right now without knowing what we have in Sprong. If we knew that Sprong was going to come in and have a Guentzel like impact, that could certainly open up the possibilities of sending someone else out.

Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Kessel, Sprong, Horny, Hags. If Sprong stick, one can go. Each have unique values about what you can get back. Guentzel I think gets you whoever you want. Sheary gets you a really good young 3C. Rust, about the same. Kessel gets you quite the package back and likely cap space. Sprong gets you a 3C prospect at similar stages of development. Horny, no idea but I doubt it's worth it. Hags gets you a similar aged 3C or a poor young 3C.

One team I'd be tracking hard is Carolina. Lots of centers. Sheary, Rust, or Sprong could likely get us back Lindholm, TT, or maybe Rask. All young guys at reasonable costs. May even be able to go a Hags for Kruger if we kick in something.

The TIOPS was referring to the top target With regard to backup goalie. They said the top target at that time was Boston’s Anton Khudobin, referred to him as the type of goaltender JR wants.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think their is a good chance you will see Raanta in a pens uniform sometime before the deadline, he seems like a perfect fit and hes only making 1 million this season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Deal from strength. Sprong if he is the real deal makes Kessel or Horny expendable after this year. Horny will be resigned as long as the cost is around for 4 years @4.5. Kessel is at 5.1 million in salary after this year. Pens can get some nice assets back for him. Love Phil and his contributions but asset management can extend the teams drive for cups.

Sprong doesn't make Kessel expendable. People have to stop telling themselves this.

Sprong is a goal scorer, Kessel is a gifted playmaker that can score goals. That is an important distinction and there are few players like Kessel in the league.

If people don't appreciate him after his last two playoffs and how he has stepped up this season, they never will.

Dude is like fifth in league scoring. We are ridiculously lucky he's a Penguin.

You want to win cups, you keep the elite talent that is Kessel. I'm absolutely baffled how people don't recognize Kessel's importance to this team.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think our fast and lose defensive style will murder Kudobin, personally.

If we start an effective 5 man defense again, okay. That's different and he might be a good backup.

Edit. He's just a bit small to me.

Also, Kessel is not expendable in any universe.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
5x2m i offer Rust right now. And I pray he takes it. :laugh:

Oh hell yeah. It's those types of contracts that help keep windows open. Jarnkrok getting that was a deal and a half for Polie.

Khudobin?? JR, come on...

Yeah, hard pass. He's doing decent now but he's bounced around a lot for very clear reasons. A waiver claim, maybe. Assets for, no.

Reactions: EightyOne

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Hornqvist is really leaving in the summer it would be foolish to trade Sprong now IMO. We lose Sprong AND Hornqvist on the right side. Only got Sheary and Kessel now next year, no RW for the 3rd line unless you want Rust there, but then you're weak on the left side with No Goals Hags and Jake.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Sprong > Jake at scoring in my opinion

The AHL is much much different than the NHL, my friend

Jake has gotten looks- they just aren't going in, just like the rest of the team. It isn't like they've got a pop gun offense...the pucks that shouldn't have gone in last year were finding their way. Now the ones that SHOULD go in, aren't

It will balance out in the next couple weeks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

We get:

3C taken care of
A wing prospect who I still feel turns into an impact player.
Top pairing dman, balance in pairings
Alleviates us from Letang's contract
Cheaper

Just spitballing. When was the last time some actually proposed a trade around here that could help us?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We get:

3C taken care of
A wing prospect who I still feel turns into an impact player.
Top pairing dman, balance in pairings
Alleviates us from Letang's contract
Cheaper

Just spitballing. When was the last time some actually proposed a trade around here that could help us?

I literally did last night and you said I wasn't allowed to talk about it. This summer I would have offered a 1st+Simon for Karlsson. I'd still make that offer and probably swap out Simon for ZAR.

Does that get it done? No idea.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I’d like Staal honestly. I’d be willing to give up Sprong+1st+ if CAR retains 1.5m.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The AHL is much much different than the NHL, my friend

Jake has gotten looks- they just aren't going in, just like the rest of the team. It isn't like they've got a pop gun offense...the pucks that shouldn't have gone in last year were finding their way. Now the ones that SHOULD go in, aren't

It will balance out in the next couple weeks

This is a prediction based entirely on my evaluation of both. I love Jake, I do believe though that Sprong will be the better goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->