Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Forget the whale ... We'll buy the place with beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So what's next after Duchene? Tyler Johnson?

Tampa was scouting the Jets, if there's a player available there, maybe the Bolts are looking to swap with the Jets, although I don't know what the Bolts would even want. The defense in Tampa is actually very solid with a top 4 of - Stralman, Hedman, Sergachev, Coburn, and then bit pieces that play well in their system like Sustr, Dotchin, Girardi (lol), and Koekkoek.

Man that ROR thread is hilarious, they think the package the Avs got for Duchene is the exact package they should get for ROR.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
One problem - they are a playoff team as of now. They likely won’t trade someone unless Rutherford overpays. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
That depends on what GMGM deems the team needs to be. It could be a hockey trade as much as a purely futures trade. Or some combination of now and futures.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
One problem - they are a playoff team as of now. They likely won’t trade someone unless Rutherford overpays. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Yeah, it is not the time to make a trade with them, but they will fall back well before the deadline, I'm sure. Them and New Jersey are the teams I'm certain about having over-performed big time so far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Tampa was scouting the Jets, if there's a player available there, maybe the Bolts are looking to swap with the Jets, although I don't know what the Bolts would even want. The defense in Tampa is actually very solid with a top 4 of - Stralman, Hedman, Sergachev, Coburn, and then bit pieces that play well in their system like Sustr, Dotchin, Girardi (lol), and Koekkoek.

Man that ROR thread is hilarious, they think the package the Avs got for Duchene is the exact package they should get for ROR.

Guessing they looking at Trouba.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some over achieving teams like Vegas could also easily lose 6 or 7 in a row.

So that should mean they should trade young talented players that are RFA's?

GMGM is a moron, yes, but unless we're giving them Sprong or Rust or Guentzel for those players or even Sheary, why the hell would they even bother? Just from a hockey trade stand point, trying to get Karlsson, you're looking at giving up those players.

Karlsson is on pace for 60+ pts, he's soon to be 25yrs old in January and has a more increased role in VGK that is allowing him to produce up to his potential finally. GMGM will sell high on him. A 1st from us, means jack shit.

Edit: Sheary for Karlsson would be an interesting trade, Karlsson is producing at a 60pt pace on a 1st line role (Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith is their 1st line), he'd be brought in for the 3rd line on the Pens, his production would decrease but he could also get some decent line-mates as well. If that was what VGK wanted, sign me up 100%. That trade would also rock this team a little to the core with "just because we signed Sheary to a new contract, doesn't mean he's safe."

The problem with Sheary right now is that he's producing at a 34pt pace, while getting prime ice time with linemates that should mean he should be at a 40-50pt pace or at least a 50pt pace given his contract and production last year. That is quite the dip, he'd need to go on fire. I've liked his hustle this season and I know it's not an effort thing, he's just snake bitten with converting on his chances, which sucks for him because I think he's capable of 50pts this year if he gets a better look on a different line.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought the same for Iggy

I think they've been on record for saying they do though. If they do come back, which they might, it'd be at such a reduced cost, which it shouldn't matter considering how much they've made, but they would be smarter to just retire and go back home and play a few more years and call it a career. They look terrible.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Karlsson is on pace for 60+ pts, he's soon to be 25yrs old in January and has a more increased role in VGK that is allowing him to produce up to his potential finally. GMGM will sell high on him. A 1st from us, means jack ****.

I think its more likely they sell the loser at meeting expectations than the winner. Karlsson isn't going anywhere. Haula or at a stretch Lindberg might be.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think its more likely they sell the loser at meeting expectations than the winner. Karlsson isn't going anywhere. Haula or at a stretch Lindberg might be.

Lindberg could be available for sure. Neither have played as well as Karlsson has all year (so far) and both fit our needs quite easily. My only concern is that JR already threw Sprong in for the Duchene rumored ask, I don't want him to throw Sprong in for this either.

Haula has 9pts in 12 games, he's been solid for them, I doubt he's available. They bungled the Ship thing, so Haula & Karlsson are probably a big part of their "core" going forward.

You're essentially hoping that if their #1C isn't available, their #2C will be. With a boat load in cap space, they're more than fine retaining Karlsson as an RFA and Haula is already under contract for a couple of years. I like all 3, Lindberg, Haula, and Karlsson, but realistically, this team can only get one and it's the first one I mentioned out of the 3, Lindberg.

Haula or Karlsson will cost us Sprong as a starting point. Easily.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be 100% happy with Oscar Lindberg as well, he's a very good faceoff guy, has been able to produce better when he is at C, VGK has been using him as a W/C for most of the year and often has him as the guy taking the draws and moving back to wing, for a guy that is 100% natural at center, that's wasting him, he has 5 goals and no assists this season and is at 55% on faceoffs. Since the formation of Lindberg-Eakin-Tuch, he hasn't been taking many draws, Eakins is at 56% on the draw, best for the VGK for C's that take draws regularly.

He's a solid skater, has been on a 30+ and 25+ pt pace his last 2yrs with NYR, this year he has 5pts in 16 games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder what the Rags would want for Grabner, he's on his final year. His speed is fantastic and since he's gotten back his confidence last year with scoring, he's been pretty good at converting his chances.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wonder what the Rags would want for Grabner, he's on his final year. His speed is fantastic and since he's gotten back his confidence last year with scoring, he's been pretty good at converting his chances.

I'm guessing a 2nd or a 3rd +5th.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
As an example, I think Sheary and our 1st could go a long way to getting us a Vegas center. Even Sheary and Sheahan. Vegas has quite a few expiring contracts and a couple of players under team control is something they may be ok moving a center for.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
what's the TIOPS article saying about the "top trade target from June" ? Assuming it's Galchenyuk.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Grabner would look fantastic on the 3rd line with Rust. I wonder if the Rangers would ever want Hagelin back.
Would you want Hags back at $4 million? Grabner only makes $1.65 mil and is actually producing this season. Isn’t Grabner a RW? The Pens are pretty stacked at RW.

The Pens would have to add A LOT and probably have to retain some of Hagelin’s cap.

We need an NHL caliber center before we worry about wingers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The right place to look at the start of the season is the right place to look now. Vegas.

Maybe but the price has likely gone up and rightfully so. Karlsson was a promising 25 point center heading into the season. Now, he's on pace for 61 points. I'm sure he will drop back, but if he's on 50 point pace at the deadline, he's not going to go for a 1st. It's going to take Sprong+.

Lindberg can likely be had at the deadline if they regress as you expect, but he was always much less preferable to me than Karlsson.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So that should mean they should trade young talented players that are RFA's?

GMGM is a moron, yes, but unless we're giving them Sprong or Rust or Guentzel for those players or even Sheary, why the hell would they even bother? Just from a hockey trade stand point, trying to get Karlsson, you're looking at giving up those players.

Karlsson is on pace for 60+ pts, he's soon to be 25yrs old in January and has a more increased role in VGK that is allowing him to produce up to his potential finally. GMGM will sell high on him. A 1st from us, means jack ****.

Edit: Sheary for Karlsson would be an interesting trade, Karlsson is producing at a 60pt pace on a 1st line role (Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith is their 1st line), he'd be brought in for the 3rd line on the Pens, his production would decrease but he could also get some decent line-mates as well. If that was what VGK wanted, sign me up 100%. That trade would also rock this team a little to the core with "just because we signed Sheary to a new contract, doesn't mean he's safe."

The problem with Sheary right now is that he's producing at a 34pt pace, while getting prime ice time with linemates that should mean he should be at a 40-50pt pace or at least a 50pt pace given his contract and production last year. That is quite the dip, he'd need to go on fire. I've liked his hustle this season and I know it's not an effort thing, he's just snake bitten with converting on his chances, which sucks for him because I think he's capable of 50pts this year if he gets a better look on a different line.

I don't think there's a chance in hell they trade Karlsson for Sheary but I would definitely do it if they would.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
After reading the trade board thread on needs/surpluses, i put together a probable list of C's that'll maybe/probably shake loose this season:

Spezza, RNH, Plekanec/Galchenyuk(maybe), Bjugstad, Tyler Johnson(maybe), Bozak, Henrique(maybe when Zajac returns), Filppula, Soderberg, a STL C maybe to sure up another area, Vermette, Stepan(maybe), Stajan/Bennett(maybe), Letestu(maybe), Thornton as a rental(maybe), Sedin as a rental(maybe), and last but not least GMGM who no one knows what he'll do with his plethora of C's Eakin, Lindberg, Karlsson, Haula(could very well just keep em all...) and maybe Tierney or Spooner who've been rumored to be/have been available.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think there's a chance in hell they trade Karlsson for Sheary but I would definitely do it if they would.

Yeah, I would gather the target would be Lindberg. But the more I read about the Pens situation, like Pensburgh and other crap, the more I see the name Daniel Sprong pop up for trade bait to land a 3C.

JR is desperate to make a splash apparently, that the team needs a spark, I will be livid if they moved Daniel Sprong. We literally have no other winger or forward prospect like that in the system. Unless they think Kessel for the entirety of his contract is enough for a shooter and the likes of Sheary, Rust, and Guentzel...I don't want to see this team lose Sprong.

Kapanen was whatever, Sprong is worth hanging on to.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I would gather the target would be Lindberg. But the more I read about the Pens situation, like Pensburgh and other crap, the more I see the name Daniel Sprong pop up for trade bait to land a 3C.

JR is desperate to make a splash apparently, that the team needs a spark, I will be livid if they moved Daniel Sprong. We literally have no other winger or forward prospect like that in the system. Unless they think Kessel for the entirety of his contract is enough for a shooter and the likes of Sheary, Rust, and Guentzel...I don't want to see this team lose Sprong.

Kapanen was whatever, Sprong is worth hanging on to.

Man I am soooo against the idea of moving Sprong. That is our meal ticket for cheap goals moving forward. Keep that man. We do not want to be Washington and look for a short-term guy who can help the team for a freaking young ELC goal scorer who could be elite.

I will cry.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
After reading the trade board thread on needs/surpluses, i put together a probable list of C's that'll maybe/probably shake loose this season:

Spezza, RNH, Plekanec/Galchenyuk(maybe), Bjugstad, Tyler Johnson(maybe), Bozak, Henrique(maybe when Zajac returns), Filppula, Soderberg, a STL C maybe to sure up another area, Vermette, Stepan(maybe), Stajan/Bennett(maybe), Letestu(maybe), Thornton as a rental(maybe), Sedin as a rental(maybe), and last but not least GMGM who no one knows what he'll do with his plethora of C's Eakin, Lindberg, Karlsson, Haula(could very well just keep em all...) and maybe Tierney or Spooner who've been rumored to be/have been available.

As I wrote the other day.. the start of this season has been AWFUL for the Pens in terms of 3c targets. Prior to the season, i was looking at NJ/LV/ and a few other teams to struggle. Instead NJ/LV, who were some of my top targets (Haula/Henrique) ended up freaking winning games and now they can't move players for picks. It sucks. It's awful luck.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Moving Sprong for anyone other than Duchene is a major mistake.

I don't think JR will do it. My guess is people are speculating Sprong since he's honestly the only prospect not on the NHL roster that's worth anything close to a legit 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad