Salary Cap: Salary Cap Crunch Part 3: Cap and Trade Economics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
To get off Seabrook... anyone have a problem with retaining 1M on Bickell? I'm ok with it. 2 years 1M won't make the difference.

1.4% of the cap dead. Small price to pay at this point.

If it's between that and buying him out, you do that. Because buying him out would be 1mil, 1mil, 2mil, 2mil I believe. Rather eat 1mil in cap space for 2 years than eating cap space for 4 years.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With regards to Seabrook , They can sign him but should they?

Given his style of play and already small decline in his game (IMO) it would be very risky to give him a longterm deal. Hawks already have Crawford , Keith and Hossa in 30's signed longterm (Sharp as well but I expect he will be gone in coming weeks)

Signing Seabrook to extension is major risk

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't know why people are content to punt next season which is what you are saying if you want the team to trade Seabrook.
Ya, it's baffling. This team will still be a lot to deal with next year if all they do is trade Bickell and Sharp while losing Oduya to UFA. Yes, they will take a step back, but they will still be a pretty damn good team.

Trade Seabrook, and there is a chance you miss the playoffs.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Seabrook is not going to be re-signed then Hawks must trade him this offseason

You simply cant let him walk away and get nothing next summer. Also if you move Seabrook and can retain Oduya while acquiring another quality defender the team should be fine as kids get experience

Would it be as strong a D? Of course not but having Keith , Hjalmarsson and Oduya as 1-3 is still better then a lot of clubs

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Seabrook is not going to be re-signed then Hawks must trade him this offseason

You simply cant let him walk away and get nothing next summer. Also if you move Seabrook and can retain Oduya while acquiring another quality defender the team should be fine as kids get experience

Would it be as strong a D? Of course not but having Keith , Hjalmarsson and Oduya as 1-3 is still better then a lot of clubs
Why wouldn't he be re-signed?
I doubt he asks for the moon, he probably wants to retire a Hawk. And the Hawks will probably give him close to what he wants, whether it's a great idea or not.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Why wouldn't he be re-signed?
I doubt he asks for the moon, he probably wants to retire a Hawk. And the Hawks will probably give him close to what he wants, whether it's a great idea or not.

He could be bickell v 3.0 after all the braintrust here is already calling saad bickell part 2. :sarcasm:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Once Keith/Seabrook go the Hawks are done as a Stanley Cup contender. Neither are going to be replaced outside of a hail mary. Re-sign him to 8 years as a retirement deal to hopefully lower the hit and ride those 2 until they have nothing left.

Andreas

Apr 1, 2013
Lund. sweden
If we trade him this offseason what would we get? Top prospect and a first. Then comes march 2016 and we need a defender for a play off run. That will cost a prospect and a first. Rather keep Seabs for one more year. Even If that means loosing him for nothing. Hopefully we can retain him 6×6.5.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It is crazy but tomorrow could have some implications to what we do defensively because if we sign Reilly we could have a lot of options. Hell we could be really young on D next year if Stan and Q decide it is what is best for the team long term. We could ahve a crazy amount of young talent on our blueline with Johns, Pokka, Paliota, and Reilly. I am not forgetting about TVR either. The ceiling for that group plus Hammer and Keith is pretty high. I doubt they would go this young but it could work if you used Hammer and Keith to usher them in. I am not a huge fan or trading Seabs but it could be done and he would have a huge return along with not only fixing our cap issue but putting us in a power position with extra space.

2-Johns
4-Pokka
57 - Paliotta/Reilly

Last edited:

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
5 guys on the blue line with less than a year NHL experience? Not going to happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
5 guys on the blue line with less than a year NHL experience? Not going to happen.

I agree but it is intriguing with all of that talent. It is a shame Johns got hurt because I think he would be playing right now. If we keep Seabs your could roll these pairings.

2-Johns
4-Pokka
7-TVR/Reilly

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I agree but it is intriguing with all of that talent. It is a shame Johns got hurt because I think he would be playing right now. If we keep Seabs your could roll these pairings.

2-Johns
4-Pokka
7-TVR/Reilly

IMO

2-7
4- with a rotation of
FA Vet on a 1 yr contract
TVR Johns and whoever looks best at camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events