Saint John Sea Dogs: 2016-2017 Thread

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Assuming all the NHL players will be back, this team is going to be one of the favourites to win the Q this year.

We're a little top heavy though on D, IMO...

We have a good top 9 up front with the ability to put 3 20s, Noel, Joseph, Veleno, Pare, Warren and Dove potentially there

On D, we have:

Chabot - Webster
Zboril - Green

as locks

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
We're a little top heavy though on D, IMO...

We have a good top 9 up front with the ability to put 3 20s, Noel, Joseph, Veleno, Pare, Warren and Dove potentially there

On D, we have:

Chabot - Webster
Zboril - Green

as locks

Maybe they are top heavy, but what other team can match that top 4? Especially if Zboril and Green take big steps forward in their game.

Also is there any team with the depth and experience that this team does?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I really hope Imama puts it together this year and gets more than just 4th line enforcer minutes. Kid seems to be able to skate and play ... if he is going to get a contract this year to play pro he will need the coach to put him in a position to succeed and grow his game.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Imama was assigned back to the Sea Dogs announced this morning by the Lightning. He played in 3 out of the 3 games at the rookie tournament and dressed in the Lightning's first preseason game before being sent back. Imama played in the following lines while he was here:

Game 1 v Capitals: Imama - Howden - Raddysh
Game 2 v Preds: Imama - Howden - Raddysh
Game 3 v Panthers: Imama - Cirelli - Paquette

Lightning v Carolina: McGinn - Cirelli - Imama

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Joseph was assigned back to the Sea Dogs announced this morning by the Lightning. He played in 0 out of the 3 games at the rookie tournament and dressed in the Lightning's first preseason game before being sent back. Joseph played in the following lines while he was here:

Game 1 v Capitals: did not play
Game 2 v Preds: did not play
Game 3 v Panthers: did not play

Lightning v Carolina: Yan - Howden - Joseph

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
I'm happy Joseph is back.....our MVP last year and most likely will be our MVP this year.

Imama is also back leaving us four 20's. Smallman/Highmore/Imama/Del paggio

As for the odd man out this is a simple decision for me. Del paggio would not farewell at a memorial cup tournament.....I would be making all my decisions based on the presidents or mem cup performances.

With that being said depending on Boko's first half I would consider moving him to get the number one goalie. I've been watching this league over 10 years and no offence to our current tenders.... but with that position we need a serious upgrade if we want to even have a chance at the Q semi-finals.

I would've preferred to have the 20s situation and the goaltender situation sorted out before the season. Making moves at Christmas time can often affect team chemistry. With that being said if this team is serious about 2017 these moves need to be made.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm happy Joseph is back.....our MVP last year and most likely will be our MVP this year.

Imama is also back leaving us four 20's. Smallman/Highmore/Imama/Del paggio

As for the odd man out this is a simple decision for me. Del paggio would not farewell at a memorial cup tournament.....I would be making all my decisions based on the presidents or mem cup performances.

With that being said depending on Boko's first half I would consider moving him to get the number one goalie. I've been watching this league over 10 years and no offence to our current tenders.... but with that position we need a serious upgrade if we want to even have a chance at the Q semi-finals.

I would've preferred to have the 20s situation and the goaltender situation sorted out before the season. Making moves at Christmas time can often affect team chemistry. With that being said if this team is serious about 2017 these moves need to be made.

I think you'd get a better return for Del Paggio if it's to a team that needs some offensive help (are there any teams still out there looking for 20 year olds?). But Boko might be the odd man out and could still get a good return. Pretty nice problem to have.

Bishop isn't great but do you think D'Orio could emerge this year?

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
I think D'Orio will be number one over Bishop by Christmas if they don't make any moves and has potential to be back bone of this team moving forward.

But in a year we are going for it I'd love to see us move Del and Boko for a top 20 year old tender. We get that with out depth up front and on the blue line look out:yo:

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
SAINT JOHN - The Saint John Sea Dogs have traded forward Daniel Del Paggio to the Gatineau Olympiques in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks in the 2019 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Entry Draft.

I liked DDP but I think this is the right choice. Wish him well in Gatineau.

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
I really hope the Dogs make some serious move this Christmas to "load up"

I truly believe we need to go for it this year with potentially losing so many players next year.

Gone 2017-2018
Smallman
Boko
Highmore
Chabot - Highly probable will not return - NHL
Zboril - Highly probable will not return - AHL
Joseph - Highly probable will not return - AHL
Noel- possible - AHL
Dove - possible AHL
Luke Green - should be back.

This is 9 core guys that potentially will not be back, 3 for sure.

I would love to see number 1 goalie added and stud scorer to fill our Smallman Noel line.

Goalie Quebec - Booth???

Scored Val d'Or Gauthier??

Anyone else out there were could target?

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
I'd like us to make a run for Samuel Montembeault. Strong 20 year old goaltender. Has put up remarkable numbers so far, 0.97 GAA and a .960 save percentage.

Coincidentally, Marc-Antoine Turcotte played backup to him before he came here.

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
Yes he would be a better goalie choice and probably cost less, but are you ok with giving up Boko to get him?

Also now that Dubois is back in Cape Breton I think he should be our number one player we go after to fill in top 6 forwards. He would be a short term rental for anyone who goes after him at Christmas...he'll be at world juniors and won't be back in this league next year.

Basically he plays remainder of regular season starting mid Jan until end of season.

What would he cost us?

TurksDogs17

Aug 8, 2013
i'll say a couple positive things before I get to the real reason of this post

PowerPlay is looking awesome. Definitely better with Zboril back
I love the leadership of this group, lead by Smallman ( Nice article here http://theqmjhl.ca/article/smallman-is-saint-johns-quiet-captain) Dove-McFalls, Imama, Highmore.

Joseph's goal scoring pace is amazing

Finally, unless Luke Green learns to play defence I think we should trade him, thoughts?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
If they get Gauthier too like rumoured they are the foregone favourites.

As a Charlottetown fan, its well disappointing to say the least

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
In the Q. If he was top 10 in the CHL this would be way more of a blockbuster.

i understand
dont get me wrong, he is a strong goalie ( i just feel its hit or miss often in games)

anywsys sj will contend even more now with is year,

you wont see another one like this fora long time

good luck,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad