Saginaw Spirit 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 2)

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Is it this common for a backdoor OHL Memorial cup team to be so hated by everyone else in the league.

I have reaons, just want to check.
I'd say common but not always. Windsor still gets called out about their cafaw. London was but not so much now. Mississauga lost in the OHL finals so they got a pass .

I think too many fans can't seperate the Cup and league championship. The league winner is like winning the Stanley Cup. Takes 16 wins to get there and is a huge accomplishment. The memorial Cup is a seperate event. If the NHL winner, KHL winner and the Swedish elite league winner played a year end tournament with a host team it would be the same style.
There has to be a host team. It takes over a year to put it together. There really is no other way.

Be proud of your team and city and enjoy hosting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd say common but not always. Windsor still gets called out about their cafaw. London was but not so much now. Mississauga lost in the OHL finals so they got a pass .

I think too many fans can't seperate the Cup and league championship. The league winner is like winning the Stanley Cup. Takes 16 wins to get there and is a huge accomplishment. The memorial Cup is a seperate event. If the NHL winner, KHL winner and the Swedish elite league winner played a year end tournament with a host team it would be the same style.
There has to be a host team. It takes over a year to put it together. There really is no other way.

Be proud of your team and city and enjoy hosting.

An AHL-KHL-SHL championship tournament would be cool

purple pharrt

Jan 23, 2024
sec 107 r2
Is it this common for a backdoor OHL Memorial cup team to be so hated by everyone else in the league.

I have reaons, just want to check.
I wouldn't say universally hated, but more like resented. Backdoor teams have an advantage over the other 3 league Champs, who earned their berth into the tournament. That advantage is the extra rest they get, so they enter the tournament "fresher" and bumps & bruises healed up. The other 3 participants will be more fatigued, and possibly having key players lost to injury, or playing hurt.
The worst situation is when a host team bows out during the first round of playoffs. Integrity gets questioned. Yes, it's within the rules of the tournament, but a Memorial Cup win is "tainted" in the eyes of more die-hard fans.
I'll admit that I'm among that latter group, and look at a Memorial Cup won under those circumstances as somewhat similar to a trip to a brothel.

You might experience a measure of satisfaction, but you sure as hell had to buy and pay for it.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I see a lot of shade being thrown at the Spirit org lately. Some of it warranted (knights colour guy accosted) but most of it not. Please don’t let the negativity from internet people temper your enthusiasm for your team or the league. I have been to the Dow a few times and only have pleasant things to say. You have a heck of a hockey team too that will probably do very well in the Memorial Cup with some time off to rest and and prepare. I hope you enjoy the rest of the ride.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I guess if Branch is smart... he would make sure the Knights go to the Mem Cup... Since Saginaw cant sell out for that event London fans would be there in droves... Most likely more fans from London than Saginaw when they play each other.
I don't disagree with you.

Saginaw has never filled the rink in all the years I have attended. So many of the seats are bought by companies and corporations to be handed out as perks to employees and business friends. I have been in that rink when they stated 4000 attendance, yet it was lucky to be 3000.

The OHL, and the rest of the league fan base see this and wonder why a team one series short of the finals can't fill the seats. The sad fact is that without those corporate ticket buy ups the average attendance would be in the 2700 range.

And yet, with this less than enthusiastic attendance, Saginaw has been rewarded the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: three dog night

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Same as yours lol

I'll agree with you on all that those types of plays are not part of hockey the only thing I would disagree with is Parekh would get the same as Lawrence as they are one and the same penalty in my opinion

Think you forgot Saginaw plays in the memorial cup win or lose. 😂.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
It's a fact that we bought our way into the Memorial Cup, stop with all the excuses. We loaded up, sold the OHL as Saginaw being a viable host and here we are... backdoor outcasts that the rest of the league has zero allegiance to.

How did this happen?

Reactions: Advanced stats

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's a fact that we bought our way into the Memorial Cup, stop with all the excuses. We loaded up, sold the OHL as Saginaw being a viable host and here we are... backdoor outcasts that the rest of the league has zero allegiance to.

How did this happen?

Saginaw won the right to host the memorial cup by having the best bid.
They may seem like outcasts because some think one particular player is despicable and a few are bitter their team lost the bid and were eliminated in the playoffs by the team they lost the bid to.
Saginaw is a better team than I thought they could be when awarded the right to host.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
I guess if Branch is smart... he would make sure the Knights go to the Mem Cup... Since Saginaw cant sell out for that event London fans would be there in droves... Most likely more fans from London than Saginaw when they play each other.
The Memorial Cup is nearly 80% sold out and that's without knowing who the other three teams will be. Once all three leagues crown a champion, there will be a push from their fans for tickets.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

How did this happen?
If London gets in, it’s a respectable spot. You lose to the team that wins the OHL, wouldn’t be much different for Oshawa/North Bay, had they lost to Saginaw in the finals.

The tournaments different. I think league championships are harder to win. You battle 6 months for positioning, nearly 2 in the playoffs to get that crown. The memorial cup is harder to get to than win IMO. Even the best teams have a great week, and occasionally the worst teams have a good week. Once you’re at that tournament, anything can happen.

you’re a league champion and don’t want to lose to a team that finished 3rd/4th in their league? Step up and beat them.

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
Attendance was nearly 4,000.
Yikes.

Saginaw fans showing their true colors bailing in the team. That’s brutal.

Seats what? 5,800?

Guessing a big chunk of those 80% of memorial cup tickets end up on the secondary market for other fans to over pay for tickets.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I know it's tough right now but Congrats on a strong season. I really don't think there was a whole lot to pick from when it came to the top three teams in the West. Soo, London and Saginaw were all excellent well coached teams and on any given night each could beat the other.
As the Memorial Cup is now your focus having this break should prove beneficial and because you went 3 rounds deep it shouldn't be to long. Hope to see you in Saginaw come June! Cheers .....
PS: You will hear lots of BS about the League Championship being a far superior win to the Memorial Cup. The MC is a great accomplishment rich in history and is truly a coveted prize all by itself! Go Saginaw Go ..... except against the Knights if we make it there!

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

How did this happen?
I wouldn't be quite so hard on yourselves. You made it to the 3rd round and you have a team capable of competing at the Memorial Cup. You also beat out the Soo no slouch and quite frankly a team that as a Knights supporter I was not disappointed to not see. Anyone of 3 teams could have come out the West this season. Just happened to be London is all ....

Reactions: bobber

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

How did this happen?
It happens, even with teams you don’t expect. London hosted in 2014, and went out in the second round of the OHL playoffs 4-1. Then proceeded to go 0-3 in the round robin of the MC that they were hosting. Fast forward to 2017, Windsor hosted and also went out early in the first round of the O, but then went on to win the MC, and received a lot of verbal abuse for doing so as a back door entrant. Ironically, the host doing poorly gets less flack than the one that does very well. Either way, the host team is going to get run down by a few that want to be miserable about it regardless.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It is a shame we have to wait 2 1/2 weeks for our 1st Memorial Cup Game on around the 24th against the Western Hockey League Champion. Either Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince George , or Portland.

Last edited:

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Yikes.

Saginaw fans showing their true colors bailing in the team. That’s brutal.

Seats what? 5,800?

Guessing a big chunk of those 80% of memorial cup tickets end up on the secondary market for other fans to over pay for tickets.

They only had Saturday and before the game Sunday to sell tickets. People were actually lined up at the Spirit office on Saturday to buy tickets. Corporate sales may have been affected by it being a weekend making it difficult to arrange for groups. I thought it was a decent crowd. The capacity for paid attendance is around 5,000 since they added the party decks which took the place of some cheap seats.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Yes? I have a full ticket package. It will be nice not to have to travel to one for once.
My first memorial cup in London was the most fun I have ever had. I went to ever game and it was amazing. Having it in your hometown is fantastic. But, I would like to go to one on the road and watch the whole thing but $$$$. Doubt I could do it. Have fun. 👍

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad