Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Speaking of conversation with draft around the corner how many players get drafted?
Jenkins 2nd
Everett 5th
Goldowski 7th - my surprise big kid and showed he could score
Not to mention Giroux, Grondin and Coskey all have a chance and could go in the late rounds?
Good job by the scouting staff in that draft.
Edit- Wilde 1st

Jenkins-early 3rd
Everett-Mid 4th
Grondin-6th
Coskey-Late 6th
Giroux-7th
Goldowski-undrafted

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Interesting that Toronto has decided not to offer a contract to Keaton Middleton and he will do back into the draft. Consensus is that although a good player...not a great player.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Jenkins-early 3rd
Everett-Mid 4th
Grondin-6th
Coskey-Late 6th
Giroux-7th
Goldowski-undrafted

When is the last time we had a legitimate chance of having 4 guys getting drafted. Wilde will be in the 1st Rd and signing him has plenty to do with who drafts him and who DD brings in as OA's to make this team a contender. A top notch import in the draft won't hurt in getting players to sign in Saginaw. We do need a Goalie but let's see how Lamour and Lennox due at the beginning and go from there.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Interesting that Toronto has decided not to offer a contract to Keaton Middleton and he will do back into the draft. Consensus is that although a good player...not a great player.

I would agree with good player versus great player, but could the fingers be pointed at the lack of development for some reason in Saginaw.
To me, something needs to change. This team has only had a few high end players in the past few years. Stephens, Sadowy and Hronek to name a few. What is happening. If Middleton or Cormier played on a different team, they'd be signed in a minute. We all seen the success of players when they leave, that drives me crazy!! Maksimov is the latest example of that. He is signed with Oilers.
I'm not a huge Smitty fan, but I hope he can develop our young crop of 00's, 01's and have then drafted and NHL contact signed.
The 98 and 99 year has had it rough, and it's showing now with lack of development.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

Selfishly he will look good in a Spirit jersey this upcoming season. Unless another team has different plans for him.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I would agree with good player versus great player, but could the fingers be pointed at the lack of development for some reason in Saginaw.
To me, something needs to change. This team has only had a few high end players in the past few years. Stephens, Sadowy and Hronek to name a few. What is happening. If Middleton or Cormier played on a different team, they'd be signed in a minute. We all seen the success of players when they leave, that drives me crazy!! Maksimov is the latest example of that. He is signed with Oilers.
I'm not a huge Smitty fan, but I hope he can develop our young crop of 00's, 01's and have then drafted and NHL contact signed.
The 98 and 99 year has had it rough, and it's showing now with lack of development.

Agree, Smith and DD have no excuses to put together a top 4 team in the conference. They have talent, prospects, and picks if they can't do it this year it's time for both to go.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I agree! But I wouldn't be surprised if DD has numerous trade requests coming or already. He has an opportunity to make a difference to the organization and to the players careers! He needs to do this as early as he can, make a big bold move /trade for a high end talent to keep the players and fans interests.

Reactions: Finster8

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

This issue has a couple of parts to it.

1. Alot of top end Ontario talent doesn't want to play here (or the US in general due to distance, schooling, politics). So we are already talking riskier players who have a greater risk of busting.

2. I think there is a-lot of recentcy bias. Outside of Maksimov how may players have been mediocre here and tore it up elsewhere? I can name off the top of my head more than a handful that got dealt and were on the waiver wire with their new team within a month or two.

3. As for Middleton and Cormier not being signed I'm not shocked at all. I like Keaton alot, but his feet are two slow for the AHL and NHL game currently. Now is that a development problem with Saginaw? Maybe, but sometimes you just cant get any better. Cormier is less talent based than the fact NJ is absolutely loaded in net. He'd be straight to the ECHL and maybe only a backup there. I'm sure they dont want to use one of their 50 contract limit for a 3rd level player for the forseeable future.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Well pointed bcsprugu!

I thought Tye Fellhaber would be a star...wrong!
Mitchell Stephens...had a middle year at Syracuse, but Tampa is loaded...I thought he might have been there...wrong!
Markus Niemelainen...big time fail!
Tom Bappert...hurt and back in Germany

Our four present possible NHL draftee's...well we love, but lets see where they end up.

Keaton Middleton is all that you describe, and the NHL game is moving toward fast moving offensive defensemen

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Well pointed bcsprugu!

I thought Tye Fellhaber would be a star...wrong!
Mitchell Stephens...had a middle year at Syracuse, but Tampa is loaded...I thought he might have been there...wrong!
Markus Niemelainen...big time fail!
Tom Bappert...hurt and back in Germany

Our four present possible NHL draftee's...well we love, but lets see where they end up.

Keaton Middleton is all that you describe, and the NHL game is moving toward fast moving offensive defensemen

I agree, I like our chances this year for having a few NHL draftees 2000's, and I hope that will help become a drawing card for Saginaw.

And what do you see with the 99's? Coskey, Bollers, Davis, Webb, Gilmour and Busdeker?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Bollers will not be here next year...
Busdecker will fill his role... reduced playing time for him
Webb reminds me of Middleton... slow afoot
Davis, when I first saw him thought highly of him...but all the holding and hooking penalties point to skating deficiencies
Coskey is an enigma I still haven't figured out
Gilmor will need to reprove himself coming off that season ending injury

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Bollers will not be here next year...
Busdecker will fill his role... reduced playing time for him
Webb reminds me of Middleton... slow afoot
Davis, when I first saw him thought highly of him...but all the holding and hooking penalties point to skating deficiencies
Coskey is an enigma I still haven't figured out
Gilmor will need to reprove himself coming off that season ending injury

Ouch! Not a good assessment for the 99's. I'm still hoping Coskey gets drafted and signed. It must be an attitude thing keeping him back.
And not sure if Webb and Gilmour will sign this season for Detroit or not.
Davis I think will get an NHL camp invite.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
99's are your bread and butter for next season. Bollers and Busdeker l would try to move. Webb and Davis are solid D-men. Coskey and Gilmour could be O A's for 19-20. Last year Mids was the only senior on the team. The problem arises when young players are as good as the 99's. Then you have to go with the younger talent.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Sorry Fin, your 2000' and 01's are the team next year. Your two best offensive skating D men are Everett and Penman, with Middleton hoping to improve there. Webb and Davis will work defensively around them. I had wanted them to draft another offensive Dman early in the draft but it didn't happen.

Look for Porco to be the emerging player.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Sorry Fin, your 2000' and 01's are the team next year. Your two best offensive skating D men are Everett and Penman, with Middleton hoping to improve there. Webb and Davis will work defensively around them. I had wanted them to draft another offensive Dman early in the draft but it didn't happen.

Look for Porco to be the emerging player.

I agree with 00 and 01's being the bulk of the team. All I am saying is the more senior players (Hamilton) for example make for a veteran and experienced team. With maybe 4 99's is not a dominant age for Saginaw this year but how did 1 senior treat us last year not to well.
Niagara has 10-99's next season.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
99's-Gilmour, Coskey, Bollers, Busdeker, Webb, Davis, Hill
00's-Jenkins, Giroux, Grondin, Goldowski, Katic, Baldimenti, Everett, Lamour, Phillips
01's-Preuter, Stepien, Porco, Penman, Baber
02's-Lennox, Cardwell, Perfetti?
Plus three OA's and 2 from import draft. Wilde is still anyone's guess?
This has DD in a spot to make some significant trades their are just to many bodies and a wealth of picks to get us ready for a couple of decent seasons especially 19-20.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I really would like to see DD go after Robertson from Kingston. We have the bodies and picks to make that happen.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I really would like to see DD go after Robertson from Kingston. We have the bodies and picks to make that happen.
He would be good maybe Lodnia or Maksimovich etc. I hope we don't stand still and do nothing? Some 99's are only in the OHL for a year just like an OA. DD has do shake it up a bit and develop
these guys with solid veterans surrounding them. Import draft is never a guarantee. Let's hope that 1 can make an offensive difference this season. Last year was zero contribution from imports that has to change?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Wondering if the Soo head coaching job is of interest to Lazery! I'd hate to see him go, but he deserves an opportunity!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If TS doesn't start the first 30 games or so with developing and winning the way management wants then Lazary would be an excellent choice to take over. He knows the club and deserves a shot.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I agree, the first part of the season is huge for TS and his career. But I don't see him changing, he didn't in playoffs last year. The 10 second shifts, constant linemate hanged so no time to gel, horrible pp, playing the rookies on special teams, and just rolling lines won't cut it. He needs to change or be fired!

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Maybe just silly rumours, but I heard again the following this morning, not a great source, but did seem to have some good insight into the club.

Busdeker and Grondin to 67's.

Gilmour, Hill, Lamour to Petes.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Maybe just silly rumours, but I heard again the following this morning, not a great source, but did seem to have some good insight into the club.

Busdeker and Grondin to 67's.

Gilmour, Hill, Lamour to Petes.

Grondin I can see. Size and potential down the middle but Busdeker to Ottawa just makes no sense:

1) He's a Michigan kid so it's not geographical
2) Ottawa has 99s Hoefenmayer (Arizona) and Wilson, 2000s Bahl, Rippon, Roberstson ('18 eligible) and Okhotyuk ('19 eligible), and Peric (01). That's 7 regulars. Busdeker replaces who? He's no better than a 5-6 and might be a 7-8 in Ottawa. Unless Ottawa is moving one of their 7 in another deal (which is certainly possible), I just don't see a fit.

With Ottawa's fairly rich cupboard of picks it would make more sense for them to go after a legit 1-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->