Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Does Saginaw move Cormier now that he's been sent back ? If yes , to who and why ?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Does Saginaw move Cormier now that he's been sent back ? If yes , to who and why ?

Initial I'd say no for a couple reasons. First I don't think they're sold on either option for back up (Bonello/Lamour) as being ready to take over this year. Second, with the recent incoming talent and returning players, management is looking for a step forward for this team. Something like the 6th or 5th seed with a shot at round 2. They'll need Cormier if they stick with that idea. Third, what's the market for Cormier? Realistically with him as an OA and mediocre numbers that are only slightly impressive even if you take into account the team in front of him, what's the return? A couple 4ths? Maybe a 3rd if someone is desperate? The possible return at the moment doesn't seem like it's more than his actual value to the team if we keep him. If it ever tips the other way, who knows.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Initial I'd say no for a couple reasons. First I don't think they're sold on either option for back up (Bonello/Lamour) as being ready to take over this year. Second, with the recent incoming talent and returning players, management is looking for a step forward for this team. Something like the 6th or 5th seed with a shot at round 2. They'll need Cormier if they stick with that idea. Third, what's the market for Cormier? Realistically with him as an OA and mediocre numbers that are only slightly impressive even if you take into account the team in front of him, what's the return? A couple 4ths? Maybe a 3rd if someone is desperate? The possible return at the moment doesn't seem like it's more than his actual value to the team if we keep him. If it ever tips the other way, who knows.

My thought is it's a cheap grab for O.S if McNiven doesn't come back.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Porco is going to be a pretty good one for you guys, IMO. Definitely didn't look like he was playing in his first Junior game.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Watched majority of the game tonight and thought Saginaw played pretty well. Cormier is obviously a stud and Jenkins/Porco will be stars in the league. It sucks that the game was decided by such a blatant dive by DiPietro that the refs completely ate up and give a phantom PP that decided the game

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Watched majority of the game tonight and thought Saginaw played pretty well. Cormier is obviously a stud and Jenkins/Porco will be stars in the league. It sucks that the game was decided by such a blatant dive by DiPietro that the refs completely ate up and give a phantom PP that decided the game

I do agree with most of this, brutal call cost them the game. But I guess its early even for the refs.

I strongly disagree with Jenkins. I thought he looked terribly slow, afraid and out of play. I am a huge fan of his, and want him to be a star, but he has a long way to go IMO. He did carry the puck a bit, but I think (or hope) the jitters of playing in his first season OHL game got the best of him.

Porco will be a star no doubt. Did not look out of place at all. He was playing with Coskey and Gilmour, so that may have helped.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes a bad call but I think they were looking for a make up call - missed a couple of hooks a few minutes earlier, yes refs are finding their way as well, first game although both are vets. The game was really lost when Saginaw failed to score on their 6 PP attempts and Cormier was the reason they were still in it at that point. Both teams have some jelling to do.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Cormier will keep them close in many more games and steal a few. DiPietro does it quite often. A lose is easier to accept when a cheap call is not the deciding factor. Jenkins will need more than one game to prove himself. Lets see where he is in December.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My thought is it's a cheap grab for O.S if McNiven doesn't come back.

They already have Bowman, plus most teams are already set with starters. Even then, the goalie market is pretty crowded with Raaymakers out there to be a starter guy and if teams are just looking for an OA backup, Hicks or Ovsjannikov could be had for cheap/free. Not to mention there are some non-OA backups who could be had from various teams, like I am sure Saginaw would be willing to move one of Bonello or Lamour if the price was right.

Really if Saginaw moved Cormier the one team looking for a goalie would be Saginaw. Bonello and Lamour may be passable backups in the OHL, but neither are close to being starters. If some injuries kick in, I can see Saginaw trading one to a team needing some depth, but I can also see Saginaw keeping both for the rest of the year and re-evaluating their goalie situation after Cormier leaves.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
10 rookies plus Bappert and no 98's at forward and Kreis as only OA it is time for DD to get some muscle. This is a young team with ample talent. The guys need to know someone is watching their backs.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Troy Smith the developmental genius has some work cut out for him with not many vets his experience as a HC will be tested. DD has time to see what the team does with what they have and if the right trade comes along we need 98's for next year as well. Flint adds Mattinen for example, time to use some of our collection of picks to make us a top 5 team in the west, 1-2-1 is just the start and plenty of time for TS to enforce his systems and brand of hockey

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Former Spirit Micheal Davies is leading GOJHL in points and goals.
G9 G9 A10 PT19 with the Falcons
Jesse Barwell has G8 G2 A7 PT9 for Caledonia.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Another great start to the season for the Spirit. One win in six starts. Are we looking at last year revisited? Busdecker has been invisible, Jenkins not far behind. Anemic offense...but we have lots of draft picks...keep this up and we can ship off another talent for more picks...again...rinse....repeat!

Reactions: Finster8

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'd look at your scouts and not much farther. Felhaber, Jenkins, Wilde were all pretty high picks. Wilde isn't going to show, Felhaber was meh and Jenkins so far has been completely unimpressive. If they're going to draft more misses than hits early in the draft, you're going to struggle.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Young players need to know someone is watching their backs. With no muscle or even older leadership we are heading on a familiar path. Swoopster is saying what we are all thinking. One player in the top 100 in scoring doesnt sit well with fans when the cupboard is FULL of picks. Time to rebuild and not add a single veteran forward or 2. Could be an interesting season l hope some additions are coming.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I wonder how many trade requests are being brought forward to DD in the near future. Totally unfair to the kids who are trying to get drafted into the NHL and guys like Middleton, Cormier and Gilmour trying to get an entry level contract deal done.

Saginaw right now is no longer the path to NHL.

Its too bad, I feel bad for the young kids. I am a true Saginaw fan, and will be for a long time, but changes need to happen within a short time or this is going to get real ugly.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Saginaw draft pick Nate Boomhower has signed with the Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Coming in peace guys. I like watching broadcasts from the Dow as your play by play man is excellent. I also get a kick out of your colour man, how he expressed himself during plays or goals. I know you sold off some veterans last year so I was wondering. What do you attribute to the slow start this year? I figured you guys would be significantly improved this year.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Many things with a young club..
Getting used to OHL hockey for 11 players all trying to adapt at different speeds
Lack of veteran influence only 3 OA's and 2-98's with Vertiy just acquired
New coach who might need a player or 2?
A proven goal scorer and some grit to help the rookies development.
It could be a slow start maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad