Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit2018

Feb 25, 2018
Does this coach know that home team has last change! I really don't think he does.

And also, maybe change to pp, or the op players! Not sure if he realizes this, but it's not working!!!

I'm super excited Team will (hopefully) make playoffs, but I hope this coach has a very short career in Saginaw! Like, maybe two more months!!!

Back to selling cars!
Does this coach know that home team has last change! I really don't think he does.

And also, maybe change to pp, or the op players! Not sure if he realizes this, but it's not working!!!

I'm super excited Team will (hopefully) make playoffs, but I hope this coach has a very short career in Saginaw! Like, maybe two more months!!!

Back to selling cars!

Bottom line
I’m sick and tired of the hard working and character theme , that gets you stickers and buttons to put on your shirts, that’s all the organization ever has to say about this hockey team , I’m clueless there isn’t any skilled kids on this team ? How many years of rebuilding? What about the forwards that been here the longest , I guess they just have to deal with rebuilding every year , the old days is you load up the lines to win hockey games , now rebuilding, I feel sorry for the 99 forwards , play as much as the 01 forwards
Not sure how you plan on winning consistent hockey games like this , all top teams load up on lines , if the young guys can’t learn from practice and wait there time then do we plan on doing this every year ? Not sure how you build championships this way , what’s the difference if you play all 4 lines the same amount of time , why not put the skilled kids together and work your way from there , basically what we are doing is putting Patrick Kane on a line with (2) 4th liners
Sidney Crosby in a line with (2) 4th liners
You get the point, load up your top skilled kids and work your way down , if we didn’t have cormes in the net this team wouldn’t be even close to making the playoffs , so when he is gone next year do we plan on rebuilding again with waiting for the other goalie to be great ?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I would like to know just who you consider our Kane and Crosby? Several players show a glimpse of that potential, but they have a long way to go to fill your above mentioned skates.

I do however like your idea of loading up what we have for a strong ( at least on paper ) 1st line and letting them play 60 to 90 second shifts.

The reality is, they have been a team of "hardworking" young players, with nowhere near the talent level of the top squads in the league. They are tired, and I'm sure frustrated, with 7 wins in the last 20 or so games. Many are playing a 68 game schedule for the first time plus the travel involved. Its all part of the growing process that will hopefully pay off in a year or two.

Spirit2018

Feb 25, 2018
Lw-c-Rw
Coskey -kohn-Jenkins
Goldenski-geourix-budsker
Porco-groudin-Stephan
Katic-pruter-bollers
Pp1
Kohn-goldenski-Jenkins
Coskey-Midds

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I watched TS struggle the same way in Kitchener getting out coached on a regular basis especially on the road. I did not like the move at the beginning and still believe Lazary is the coach of the future. Smith lost the dressing room in Kitchener and hopefully has control now. Make no mistake this is a solid club for years to come but let's hope with Lazary as HC. We are only losing 3 OA and possibly Mids. The team will gain experience and develop this year no matter who coaches. Next couple years we need good coaching to become one of the leagues elite. TS is not the answer and never was.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Finster, I might just have to agree with you. Power plays and 3 on 3 overtime situations are where a coach can have great impact. Their power play is weak and typical, and has not improved all season. Overtime with 3 on 3 is match ups and strategy, depending on what 3 you have on the ice. There needs to be a definite offensive and defensive strategy in play, but they go at it free lance. They have been poor in those two areas. The final area might be goalie playing time, as to who should start against what teams, but I will address that at another time.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
They are 9-17 since 1/1/18. They will finnish 6 to 8th in the West and be gone again in the 1st round. Cormier has appeared in 54 out of 60 games played thus far. The sad reality is that he will be in net for all of the final games to secure a playoff spot. Never did they try to work Lamour into the equation and now you have a tired goalie heading into the playoffs. There isnt a goalie in the NHL who plays 75% plus of the scheduled regular season games.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
It all goes back to same thing, the coach!!

It's great they made playoffs, but the coach had nothing to do with it!! The kids were able to do it despite being out OA he'd most nights, the ridiculous short shifts, the poor power play system, the little respect for senior players.

But with all this said and done, Drinkill will be happy happy that he iced a team that made playoffs. Coach will get credit and continue with the coaching duties. They need to look at the development of the players over the past few years, or lack of development to most.

But I hop the kids work hard and provide an exciting few games in playoffs, they deserve it!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Have to say I really like Middleton - never see a player smile as much as he does - nice to see a kid happy to be playing hockey. Not a top ranked defensemen by some but I see him right up there in the top 10 in the league - hiding in Saginaw probably does not help for his exposure but I would love to see him on our team.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Have to say I really like Middleton - never see a player smile as much as he does - nice to see a kid happy to be playing hockey. Not a top ranked defensemen by some but I see him right up there in the top 10 in the league - hiding in Saginaw probably does not help for his exposure but I would love to see him on our team.

I couldn't agree more, Middleton is truly a player that is having fun and is a great leader. He has been the product of just being on a poor development team that has affect his career, but I am really hoping that he has the opportunity to sign before June with the Leafs.

I do expect him back in Saginaw next season but could be available at Xmas time depending on the season.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Last night was my 13th home game, maybe I'm the back luck. The best part of the night was the amount of money raised by auctioning off the jerseys after the game. What's Troy going to do today? Same lines, same system? How many goals in the last 5 games? Has he lost the room? are the OAs playing out the string? Drinknall has a lot of work to do. Noticed him parading a couple of prospects around last night.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Last night was my 13th home game, maybe I'm the back luck. The best part of the night was the amount of money raised by auctioning off the jerseys after the game. What's Troy going to do today? Same lines, same system? How many goals in the last 5 games? Has he lost the room? are the OAs playing out the string? Drinknall has a lot of work to do. Noticed him parading a couple of prospects around last night.
I hope it was Wilde and Turcotte lol?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Not Wilde or Turcotte, but one appeared to be a high level ohl draft eligible American currently committed to a US College. Would be a big get if Saginaw was able to draft and convince him to sign. Don't want to name names in case his family does choose the NCAA route but shouldn't be to hard to figure out who it is if you look at American draft eligables.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Three games and we could be 6, 7, or 8 who do we match up against to make a decent series? Be good for the team to win a game or 2. Just to gain experience for next season with all this good young talent next year with 3solid OA and a first string goalie a good draft this is a good club.
I agree that the team needs a top of the line coach to make it deep in the playoffs next season or more and DD has to address this obvious weakness.

Spirit2018

Feb 25, 2018
Well there u have it , that’s what this series is going to look like, our coach has no clue , we forcheck way to hard , so spreads us out and blows there guys up the middle , how about pulling goalie on pp , how about 5 on 3 and don’t even have your top goal scorer on ice , I’m confused , if spirits organization thinks playing these young kids as much as they are will help , we are going to be in for another long road of gm’s. And coaches , our system does not work , time for another change , hire a real Gm and pay for him to live in Saginaw , hire a real coach and pay him what he deserves , hire some good off ice coach for the entire year , make sure the kids are eating right , this explains why Saginaw has never made it past 2nd round of playoffs , not 1 -100 pt scorer in there career , how can an organization be satisfied on what’s going on !!!!

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
DO NOT get me started! I repeat... DO NOT get me started! 0 for 6 on the powerplay, a 5 on 3...nothing, and give up 2 shorthanded goals, one of those on a Mr. Genius move.

I have never seen such regression in a club as this team in the last 45 days. Complete tailspin!

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
And how long has Gilmour been out......about that time.....45 days or so!! He didn't get many points but you can tell how valuable he is on a team!!

And then the coach! Get him out of here!

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The team was playing well enough up to the trade deadline to deserve a much more impactful addition or two than what they got. That had to have sucked for the players. Fail on the GM for that.

Reactions: swoopster

Spirit2018

Feb 25, 2018
Coach has lost the players , same game plan every night, dump the puck , skate hard , get lucky and maybe get a shot on net , dumping the puck is a turnover every time at this level , control puck make plays , but you need skilled hockey players for that , we have hard workers and great character which never wins championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad