Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
2 goals last night for Goldowski in an important win against the Spits. He now has 5 G, 4 A, 9 Pts in his last 10 games. Good to see him start to contribute now that Gilmour is out long term.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
2 goals last night for Goldowski in an important win against the Spits. He now has 5 G, 4 A, 9 Pts in his last 10 games. Good to see him start to contribute now that Gilmour is out long term.

Well, you kind of had to figure Goldowski was gonna start producing at some point. I'm not much of a fan Jenkins but Goldowski I like. I think he's gonna be awfully solid. Is there official word out on Gilmour that I missed?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Well, you kind of had to figure Goldowski was gonna start producing at some point. I'm not much of a fan Jenkins but Goldowski I like. I think he's gonna be awfully solid. Is there official word out on Gilmour that I missed?

Not fact, but word around the rink:

Gilmour is done for the regular season and chance he is done for playoffs. A serious elbow injury.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Down 3-0, comeback to make it 3-3. Fall in OT to the Soo but great road point tonight. Guelph and London down as well as of this posting.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Goldowski hurt in the first shift. Looked like his right side upper body. Did not return. Great comeback for the boys. Builds character

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Just wanted to say you guys are having a great season. Hopefully we dont have to face you guys in the first round cause I think your team will be a very tough playoff matchup.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Just wanted to say you guys are having a great season. Hopefully we dont have to face you guys in the first round cause I think your team will be a very tough playoff matchup.

It'd be a fun one though. Not a lot of playoff experience between either team now that you guys sold off so both teams would be trying to build some success for the future.

Reactions: LDN

GensLensBrandon

Nov 28, 2017
As an Oshawa Generals' fan, watching the season develop for the Spirit has been quite the underdog story. It is definitely great to see the team not only make the postseason but potentially even host the 1st round and move forward. Great for the fans in Saginaw!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
They haven't fared well in the 3 on 3 overtime situations. Is is just plain out bad luck, or match up and speed issues?
Hard fought game against SSM and a 6-5 win in OT shoot-out. Cormier stood tall in the OT and Jenkins scored his 2nd goal wich ended up being the winner. Seems the team is only going to develop and get stronger. Wins like this just prove they will be tough team to beat in the playoffs.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
At the game tonight. The 40 something shots were misleading. Sarnia is a much better skating team. Some Saginaw players still have a ways to go in that department with stride, strength and footspeed ( quickness ).

And for goodness sake, get some of our taller players longer, +1 and +2 pants, so they look more professional, and less like Ichabod Crane

Reactions: Finster8

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
My son and I went to the game in Sarnia today. I agree with Swoopster above, Sarnia is extremely quick. Whenever the Sting came over the blue line with speed, it was a scoring opportunity. However, the Sting did turn the puck over more times than they should have. If we can figure out how stand them up at the blue line, and generate scoring lanes on offense, then we may have a chance if we meet them in the playoffs.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Its tough to stand up a swifter team at the blueline when the defense, in general, lacks the lateral speed to board squeeze or bottle up the entry. So the result is to back in and protect the middle, leaving Sarnia to use their legs to spin the exterior of the zone.

What is needed is to jump a puck carrier, but the dman can only do that if he knows that a returning Sprit forward is capable of picking up a miss.

Some times the best efforts is like twinsdad suggested ...charge the puck carrier ahead of the blueline and force a misplay or an offsides.

They in turn have an excellent corp of skating defensemen, and fast, strong, on their skates forwards. The pick up of Eliot is huge.

The other thing I noticed is that too many shots from Spirit pointmen are gloveable. Better off down low, where a misdirection can take place.

It shall be interesting...but at last we are a bit of a threat, if all plays out.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
The Spirit have hit the wall and are starting to leak oil. 1-4 against Erie tonight. Now back home to play the Soo...no rest for a tired team.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
The Spirit have hit the wall and are starting to leak oil. 1-4 against Erie tonight. Now back home to play the Soo...no rest for a tired team.

Leak oil! I'd say a blown engine. They have been scrambling of late. I am sure he coach is scratching his head. Different lines most night, just trying to find a good combo! But it's tough to get any momentum with 10 second shifts. I do think a few of the goals are from being out coached. I really hope this guy doesn't get credit for making playoffs!

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Leak oil! I'd say a blown engine. They have been scrambling of late. I am sure he coach is scratching his head. Different lines most night, just trying to find a good combo! But it's tough to get any momentum with 10 second shifts. I do think a few of the goals are from being out coached. I really hope this guy doesn't get credit for making playoffs!
I have to agree Swoop, by this time of year with no new additions there should not be looking for line matchups. The 10 sec shifts may na an exaggeration, they are more like 6 seconds. If this frustrates us can you imagine how the players feel?
I do believe the senior players have to step up during this slump, help part the waters. It won’t last for ever.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Missed Thursday game under the weather listen on radio it seems you ran into a hot goaltender especially inperiod one the Dogs were playing desperate hockey to end their winless streak and it worked.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I have to agree Swoop, by this time of year with no new additions there should not be looking for line matchups. The 10 sec shifts may na an exaggeration, they are more like 6 seconds. If this frustrates us can you imagine how the players feel?
I do believe the senior players have to step up during this slump, help part the waters. It won’t last for ever.

I can only imagine how the players must feel. The coach has lost a lot of games this year because of dumb moves with line matching or lack of. The pp is terrible, the coach should be held responsible for that!

But because they are in playoffs, coach looks like a hero. This team could be much better with the right coach.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
If Jenkins is a top 30 draft pick why restrict him on the wing with that speed? And give him playmakers to play with. Stepien has shown sniper skills ,8 goals with the second least playing time. He is on the power play yet lives on the 4th line?? Porco has played up and power play most of the year with 3 goals? Not a big deal as a rookie but move him down. Bollers and Busdeker are energy guys. We know where energy guys go .Here is my lineup. We do have many on the left side.
Coskey Jenkins Goldowski
Kohn. Grondin Stepien
Porco Giroux Katic
Bollers Preuter Busdeker
Pp1
Kohn Jenkins Goldowski
Coskey Grondin Stepien

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Does this coach know that home team has last change! I really don't think he does.

And also, maybe change to pp, or the op players! Not sure if he realizes this, but it's not working!!!

I'm super excited Team will (hopefully) make playoffs, but I hope this coach has a very short career in Saginaw! Like, maybe two more months!!!

Back to selling cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad