Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Watching Jenkins, Goldowski and Giroux was a treat and another victory. Goldowski had his 1st point and the young guns are developing just fine. Penman had his 2nd goal in 2 nites and 3 on the year. Very impressed with coaching TS is doing something right I can't believe I said that. In Kitch development wasn't his forte. Keep it up Coach and ask your GM for some experienced players if we keep rolling? Christmas is around the corner.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Got to see Verity vs wolves enough. He is certainly better than what he has been traded for. I would say he is a comparable talent to Lazer, without the edge. Has Lazer fought this season?
No.
Nor has he done much else.

He's gone cold over the last 14 games, I think one pt. He's been relegated to the 4th line mostly, but had a 2 GM stint in the doghouse, and was out on the weekend, either sick or injured.

He hasn' been the player we expected and with Bowman leaving, it was an expensive payment for, well , little to nothing .

Here's hoping Vertiy can inject some secondary scoring .

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Happy to see Giroux doing so well in Saginaw. What a great pick up for the Spirit. Some good drafting has this team looking to make noise again. Should be an interesting 2nd half for the Spirit and particularly what they do at the deadline.

WJ

Last edited:

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Although Saginaw is on a hot winning streak, I still think they will sell a player or two to build for next year and still hope to reach playoffs for the young players to gain experience.

I see Middleton, Cormier, Crawford and Gilmour potential moves depending on return. The front runners will want Middleton or Crawford, the teams that may have the potential to make a run will go after Cormier, and Gilmour will just be in the mix. With Coskey success this year, he will be off the trade market.

Middleton , Crawford - SSM, Sarnia, Hamilton, Kitchener
Cormier, Gilmour - London, Guelph, Barrie, Kingston, OS

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Although Saginaw is on a hot winning streak, I still think they will sell a player or two to build for next year and still hope to reach playoffs for the young players to gain experience.

I see Middleton, Cormier, Crawford and Gilmour potential moves depending on return. The front runners will want Middleton or Crawford, the teams that may have the potential to make a run will go after Cormier, and Gilmour will just be in the mix. With Coskey success this year, he will be off the trade market.

Middleton , Crawford - SSM, Sarnia, Hamilton, Kitchener
Cormier, Gilmour - London, Guelph, Barrie, Kingston, OS

We have picks already. We have players. No need to do a massive sell. Stand pat or get small pieces. (Unless the DiPietro deal can happen. That's the only big one I'm for.)

Also what is everyone's fascination with wanting to trade Gilmour? Like why? It makes absolutely zero rational logical or practical sense.

Reactions: OSA and dirty12

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Gilmour is a 99 with ample talent and leadership. He will be a key player the next 2.5 years. Maybe trade Crawford and pick up Calvas a 98 from Sarnia. We need some smart trades to acquire 98's for next season.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
We have picks already. We have players. No need to do a massive sell. Stand pat or get small pieces. (Unless the DiPietro deal can happen. That's the only big one I'm for.)

Also what is everyone's fascination with wanting to trade Gilmour? Like why? It makes absolutely zero rational logical or practical sense.

I like Gilmour and I hear he is a great kid, but I don't see the numbers he should be putting up. I know he plays against top line night in and night out, therefore that's makes points tougher to get, but I thought he'd have more than 19 at this point. As mentioned earlier, I've heard a team in the east likes him.

I think if you put him in a package deal you could possibly get a high end forward that will put up some good numbers.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I like Gilmour and I hear he is a great kid, but I don't see the numbers he should be putting up. I know he plays against top line night in and night out, therefore that's makes points tougher to get, but I thought he'd have more than 19 at this point. As mentioned earlier, I've heard a team in the east likes him.

I think if you put him in a package deal you could possibly get a high end forward that will put up some good numbers.

He's on pace for 50 points. You want to trade a 50 point forward because of some abitrary number in your head? That doesn't seem like a good idea.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Watched the game between Saginaw and Oshawa - probably the worst call I've seen all year - Oshawa player runs into his own goalie and Saginaw's goal is waved off for "goaltender interference". Bad call but you guys still worked out a win.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Message to Coach Smith;

I just seen the highlights, great win, you have the boys really rolling, strong line combos. Keep it up.

BUT......if you choose to let Coskey be a selfish player and do not reprimand him for his empty net goal again, you are not helping his development and sending the wrong message. There would not be one NHL team that would like that. He has done this a few times this year where he is all about getting the goal from his own end with players he could outlet too, very selfish move that has worked, but it wont work all the time and when it doesn't it will be when he need that win!!

I've been hard on Crawford at times, but I will say what a great game he played it looks like.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I hope that DD has something up his sleeve to make this team better for this year and the future. We have 3-2nd rd picks next year and 2 can be used plus more picks could land us an elite player? I like Kingpins idea of going big if the opportunity arise. This is a team that will be getting stronger as we only lose 4 players next year, as it stands now we have no OA's for next year. So 98 or 2 makes us even better.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Crawford has to go!!

Far too many turnovers in majority of the games. Extremely selfish player who hurts the team night in and night out (except a few games I will say) with his turnovers and selfish play!! He wants to be Hronek and trying to model his game after him it looks like. Absolutely has hurt this team once again!! A -5 night in a 5-1 loss. Poor Kohn had to take a -4 on the night for Crawford's terrible play!

Any offers out there for him?

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Crawford has to go!!

Far too many turnovers in majority of the games. Extremely selfish player who hurts the team night in and night out (except a few games I will say) with his turnovers and selfish play!! He wants to be Hronek and trying to model his game after him it looks like. Absolutely has hurt this team once again!! A -5 night in a 5-1 loss. Poor Kohn had to take a -4 on the night for Crawford's terrible play!

Any offers out there for him?
kinda doubt it if they read that assessment. lol

Reactions: Finster8

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Management has some big decisions to make. At the beginning of the year , the plan was to rebuild through the draft and it was going to be painful. "youngest team in the league".The organization was prepared for the this. They were going to carry four 01's. Well only 2 of these are actually getting ice time, the others are playing every third or fourth game? Some or the 00's are in the same boat. Is this player development?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I have been saying that it is better to let the 01's + 00's that are not in every nite to play A- or B. They need ice and not 6 minutes a game.
Some are developing but to many young players are stagnant and replace them with some 98's as we have no OA's for next year.
The addition of Kohn made the team better so 2 forwards and another D"man would put us in good shape and let the young develop.
For this year, we need to buy plenty of quality players on the market.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Management has some big decisions to make. At the beginning of the year , the plan was to rebuild through the draft and it was going to be painful. "youngest team in the league".The organization was prepared for the this. They were going to carry four 01's. Well only 2 of these are actually getting ice time, the others are playing every third or fourth game? Some or the 00's are in the same boat. Is this player development?

Anyone in particular you think is getting robbed of their rightful ice time?

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Anyone in particular you think is getting robbed of their rightful ice time?
Badalamente, Katic and Stepien seem to be on a rotation with Stepien sitting most of the time, the first 2 being 00's. Porco and Preuter haven't missed a game other than being with team Canada also Porco was suspended and injured. Both have also played up and special teams. This extra time has not rolled over into points which appears to win you ice time on this team.

What happens to an undeveloped group of 00's next year with Grondin, Katic, Goldowski, Badalamente, Verity just added to too many seats on the bench although Khon was a good pick to mentor the kids.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Badalamente, Katic and Stepien seem to be on a rotation with Stepien sitting most of the time, the first 2 being 00's. Porco and Preuter haven't missed a game other than being with team Canada also Porco was suspended and injured. Both have also played up and special teams. This extra time has not rolled over into points which appears to win you ice time on this team.

What happens to an undeveloped group of 00's next year with Grondin, Katic, Goldowski, Badalamente, Verity just added to too many seats on the bench although Khon was a good pick to mentor the kids.

Stepien, Goldowski, Porco, Badelementi, Prueter and Katic (minus a few games last year) are all in there first year. There is no way to tell if there's really any development, or lack there of yet.

As for Grondin, from what I've seen from him, he looks stronger and more comfortable with his size as well as a bit faster than his rookie year. The lack of top minutes hasn't hurt his development in areas he needed to work on. The numbers will come in time.

I'll also throw in Bollers. He didn't get a lot of time last year but his work ethic is paying off.

Felhaber got a ton of time, and didn't develop for crap.

It's a marathon.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If Jenkins, Giroux, Grondin and Everett keep their development improving our 00's with Katic, Goldowski and Badalamenti are a strong group. Porco, Penman and Preuter 01's need to develop as well. Stepian should be getting quality TOI in Jr. B along with Badalamenti and Katic. We need some older vets to establish a more balanced line up. Remember we only lose 4 guys and with a 1st, 3-2nds in the draft next year gives us a shot at being strong for years to come. IMO we need quality 98's to anchor the team this year and next. Brazeau, Maksimovich kind of guys.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If Jenkins, Giroux, Grondin and Everett keep their development improving our 00's with Katic, Goldowski and Badalamenti are a strong group. Porco, Penman and Preuter 01's need to develop as well. Stepian should be getting quality TOI in Jr. B along with Badalamenti and Katic. We need some older vets to establish a more balanced line up. Remember we only lose 4 guys and with a 1st, 3-2nds in the draft next year gives us a shot at being strong for years to come. IMO we need quality 98's to anchor the team this year and next. Brazeau, Maksimovich kind of guys.
I don't think the addition of a '98 or two will get Saginaw past the second or even first round of the playoffs this year. OA's will be quite a bit cheaper next year. If they go get some this year, they'll just be spending extra to once again be eliminated early. I don't see the point in messing with that team's chemistry right now.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I don't think the addition of a '98 or two will get Saginaw past the second or even first round of the playoffs this year. OA's will be quite a bit cheaper next year. If they go get some this year, they'll just be spending extra to once again be eliminated early. I don't see the point in messing with that team's chemistry right now.

I never said anything about playoffs and they are addressing a need that helps this year and next. This team will be improving regardless but the vets are needed.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
No Fins8,... Savard is right on in his assessment. I don't see what another vet will bring them without losing some of this young talent or picks. Imagine me saying that! I give up nobody unless they are knocking the door down and are willing to make an offer you can't refuse. Let this group play the year out and get their sea legs so to speak. One never knows what might happen. Let the players who deserve ice time get it, let the rest prove their worth in good hard practices.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No Fins8,... Savard is right on in his assessment. I don't see what another vet will bring them without losing some of this young talent or picks. Imagine me saying that! I give up nobody unless they are knocking the door down and are willing to make an offer you can't refuse. Let this group play the year out and get their sea legs so to speak. One never knows what might happen. Let the players who deserve ice time get it, let the rest prove their worth in good hard practices.
It's hard to argue with the results the kids have been producing lately. Whatever very minimal developmental benefit a veteran would bring to those kids would be more than offset by loss of ice time. Not to mention the cost of that veteran next year when he's an OA will be significantly less. They'll get playoff experience this year with or without any additions and be ready for a more serious run next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad