Sabres win 4 straight aftern man-handling Coyotes...literally

After a shocking 0-3 start to the season, the Buffalo Sabres have now reeled off 4 straight after last nights 5-2 thumping of the Coyotes. The Sabres practically determined the game 5 minutes into the 1st. By then they already had 3 goals past Mike Dunham, who has been shelled routinely by opposing teams. After scoring a 4th early in the 2nd, Rick Nash was called for roughing and was slapped with a misconduct.

The Coyotes capitalised scoring 2 goals in an amazing 6 seconds, but were not able to go on from there. The Sabres continued to throw there weight around, with Bouwmeester picking up a cross checking penalty, while Gauthier picked up a misconduct after an incident with Mark Smith who was trying to defend captain Rod Brind'Armour after yet another shot from Sabres players, who had targeted him all night.

When Josh Green finally retaliated and picked up a double minor for roughing, the Sabres capitalised and put the game away for good.

The Game settled down for a while after that, but a Letowski penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct late in the game was viewed as a cheap shot by the Sabres players, and not long after, Dennis Gauthier picked up a game misconduct for elbowing Rod Brind'Amour, who miraculously didn't miss any ice time. In fact, Brind'Amour would then get his own back, picking up a 5 minute major for kicking Scott Hartnell after he fell to the ice. Hartnell missed the rest of the game, but is expected to be back for the next game at 100%.

After the game, coach Craig McTavish defended his players. "We wanted to make sure we got back on tract and got ourselves above .500 for the first time this season. We're not about to be pushed around by anyone, especially at home, and especially by a team thats having to play a 35 year old forward 30+ minutes a night just to stay competetive. Rod's a great player, but we made sure he was going to pay the price at every chance. unfortunately he still hurt us on the PP but we won, and won pretty easily. As for Dennis, he does what he does best. He hits, plays defence and agitates. Anything to get the opposition off their game really. I make no apologies for the way he played tonight.

A few things to note: Once again the big line for the Sabres was whatever line Hartnell was on, as Jarret Stoll's 3 point night suggests. the youngster snatched a goal and an assist for himself, while finishing a +2 for the night, in only 9 minutes of ice time.

Ryan Miller is starting to come around. Since the 0-3 start, Miller has allowed 8 goals in 4 games (at a 2 per game clip) while stopping 98 of 106 shots for a 92.5% save ratio in the teams 4 wins.

Jaromir Jagr has been slow to start. A pre-season Art Ross and Hart trophy favourite, Jagr has only 4 points in 7 games and looks sluggish at times, possibly alarming fans that the big contract may have caused a loss in work ethic. Jagr seems to be more mature these days, but he can be a little moody, and this isn't completely out of the question. Look for a bit of a line shake up for the next game, with Daniel Briere possibly centering for him.

Thats all...for now. And remember...

GO SLUGS!

Buffalo Bill
Hockey Editor for The Buffalo News.

Default101

you know, i bet the pittsburgh penguins could beat the Charlotte Checkers of the ECHL anytime of the week too ;) :D

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Geez josh... can you teach me how you got that? :help: I'm still trying to figure it out. :dunno: When was i suppose to carry the one again? :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad