Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign CJ Smith (UMass-Lowell LW)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
They had Keller and Nylander splitting hairs at the draft from what was reported.

Never heard that... it made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Not only did they fail to prioritize D... but when splitting hairs on forwards, they failed the 50/50 toss up.

BPA :facepalm:

Is that actually pushing for Eich wings harder than any other position? Okposo's signing never seemed like a move to shore up one of Jack's sides specifically. Rodrigues maybe or pushing on Vesey, but was that really going hard after positional players without regard for other parts of the lineup? I don't think so.

I think so.

Okposo freed Reinhart from RORs wing.
Rodrigues was a former linemate
Vesey was a friend
Nylander was a speed compliment
and so on...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Never heard that... it made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Not only did they fail to prioritize D... but when splitting hairs on forwards, they failed the 50/50 toss up.

BPA :facepalm:

I think so.

Okposo freed Reinhart from RORs wing.
Rodrigues was a former linemate
Vesey was a friend
Nylander was a speed compliment
and so on...

Could be. It certainly got more attention than the defense.

As for Smith, he plays with tempo and seems equally adept at finishing plays or starting them. It'd be interesting to see what he can do at the NHL level at some point, and given his production, it seems likely that he'll get at least a reward recall at some point soon. And maybe he gets a look on Jack's wing. Right now though, I'm still more interested in seeing puck retrieval guys at least one of Eich's wings, and Smith doesn't seem like that's his thing. Perhaps he gels and they don't need someone to fill a Hecht-Hyman type role.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Smith doesn’t need the puck on his stick unlike many other talented players. This raises his floor considerably in my opinion. Even despite his size.

Putting players who don’t need the puck on their stick with Eichel is how you build a line around Eichel. Pominville does well there. No reason to believe that Smith doesn’t deserve at least the chance. I hope we see it at some point this year, maybe as soon as Kane is traded?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Number 5 in PPG (1.07) for Under 24s for players with 15 or more games.
In front of him:
Strome (1.73)
Merkley (1.20)
Wallmark (1.19)
Mangiapane (1.08)

just behind him are Lemieux, Goldobin and Roslovic.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Now you’ve got it. Also, if anyone who does well at a lower level fails to live up to expectations as a Sabre, because insufficient marinate

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So the sabres shouldn't call up anyone that excels at the AHL level because Phil Varone. Got it.

I'm just pointing out that Varone is having a good year. No need to over-react. I happen to be glad for Varone, been following him since Erie before Buffalo signed him.

If you happen to read my content in this and the Amerks' threat, I've pointed out that he's going to get his reward recall sooner rather than later and I'm honestly surprised he hasn't yet. Or over-react. Your choice.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm just pointing out that Varone is having a good year. No need to over-react. I happen to be glad for Varone, been following him since Erie before Buffalo signed him.

If you happen to read my content in this and the Amerks' threat, I've pointed out that he's going to get his reward recall sooner rather than later and I'm honestly surprised he hasn't yet. Or over-react. Your choice.
I read your comment as a indictment of Smith, because Varone got a merit recall last year and didn't establish himself. I.e. you were likening them as similar AHL-only talent.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I read your comment as a indictment of Smith, because Varone got a merit recall last year and didn't establish himself. I.e. you were likening them as similar AHL-only talent.

Nope. Not it at all. Smith's going well, outpacing ex-NHLers like Peter Holland or 3rd overall pick Strome or perpetual tease Reid Boucher.

And as for Varone, he's been gone for almost 2 years and his recall-heavy season was 3 years ago. He was a hold-over from Christiano's pro scouting era and the mess in Rochester under both Regier and Murray.

I'm pleased as hell that Sexton is working in Rochester, focused on making the Amerks good and how well Smith has played in that environment. He'll get his look and it would be great to turn up a pro winger out of a UDFA signing from last spring.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm not sure Smith's skill set will translate to the NHL, but he's certainly earned a look with his play.

Either way, what a strong organizational find for the Sabres. He's been great.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Seems a couple people now have mentioned his skills might not translate as well to the NHL level. Just curious, why's that? I haven't been watching Amerks games so don't know the ins and outs.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Seems a couple people now have mentioned his skills might not translate as well to the NHL level. Just curious, why's that? I haven't been watching Amerks games so don't know the ins and outs.
Not sure there's really much more to it than the uncertainty that any unproven player will be able to translate what he does in the minors to the NHL. That said, the fact that a lot of people don't have the same track record of watching him and seeing what's he's been able to do as compared to drafted prospects might also be a contributing factor to seeing him as a bit more of a question mark.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm not sure Smith's skill set will translate to the NHL, but he's certainly earned a look with his play.

Either way, what a strong organizational find for the Sabres. He's been great.

Are you just unsure because he was a UDFA? Because everything I’ve seen from him indicates he plays a game that will translate with his hockey sense, skill and the pace he plays at.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s smart, fast can pass at a high level and finish.

Is it the tall skill that worries people?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad