Sabres set NHL merchandise sales pace

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/07/09/daily13.html

The Buffalo Sabres were the champions of the National Hockey League in terms of selling team-affiliated merchandise in the 2006-07 season.

Sales of Sabres-related goods jumped nearly 500 percent, sparking the Shop.NHL.com Web site to post its biggest year since launching 11 years ago.

The jerseys of four Sabres' players -- Ryan Miller, Chris Drury, Maxim Afinogenov and Daniel Briere -- ranked second through fifth, respectively.

So does NHL online merchandise, maintain its torrid pace when the Sabres new logo loses some if it's steam?

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/07/09/daily13.html

The Buffalo Sabres were the champions of the National Hockey League in terms of selling team-affiliated merchandise in the 2006-07 season.

Sales of Sabres-related goods jumped nearly 500 percent, sparking the Shop.NHL.com Web site to post its biggest year since launching 11 years ago.

The jerseys of four Sabres' players -- Ryan Miller, Chris Drury, Maxim Afinogenov and Daniel Briere -- ranked second through fifth, respectively.

So does NHL online merchandise, maintain its torrid pace when the Sabres new logo loses some if it's steam?

good team with franchise players with NEW JERSEYS and logos!

im not surprised by this news.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Exactly. This is what happens when a locally popular team changes uniforms.

I'm not exactly sure about that. No one has been able to supplant the Red Wings for over a decade until the Sabres this past season. It almost never happens, especially with a market as small and economically depressed as Buffalo.

Season started party on
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone know the top selling jersey?

I'm guessing Sid the kid.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm not exactly sure about that. No one has been able to supplant the Red Wings for over a decade until the Sabres this past season. It almost never happens, especially with a market as small and economically depressed as Buffalo.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of the level of passion and dedication of Buffalo fans as I go to school in the Rochester area. You guys are very involved and knowledgable. But to increase merchandise sales by 500% has a lot to do with a completely revamped colors scheme/logo/uniform. You guys introduced three new jerseys, including a retweaking of a very popular older version. That plus a passionate fan base, plus a very successful and exciting team = huge sales.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Believe me, I'm fully aware of the level of passion and dedication of Buffalo fans as I go to school in the Rochester area. You guys are very involved and knowledgable. But to increase merchandise sales by 500% has a lot to do with a completely revamped colors scheme/logo/uniform. You guys introduced three new jerseys, including a retweaking of a very popular older version. That plus a passionate fan base, plus a very successful and exciting team = huge sales.

and while it was great that Buffalo went back to their root colors, their new logo was aweful. The 3rd jersey should be their home shirt.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
For jersey sales and overall merchandise sales this year is the one to watch as every team will have new jerseys so it'll be interesting to see, which fans spend the most cash on all that stuff.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
They'll probably be first again after all the fans that bought Briere and Drury jerseys replace them with Adam Mair jerseys.

I promised that I would buy an Andy Sutton jersey if he signed. There was a nice rumor floating around that he did, but is disappeared just before the Vanek debacle. I know Sutton's weaknesses, and that he's best suited for a bottom pairing role. But he is exactly what this waterbug, tissuey-soft defense needs!

Sigh. If all else fails, I guess Ill get two jerseys: one Vanek (good for seven, floating, ridiculously overpaid years) and one custom.

The custom will be a home white (the ugliest creation known to man). The name: Lowe, numbered 666. I will cathartically burn it, at once removing all my frustrations about the horrible Buffalo jersey, Kevin Lowe, and the state of the NHL.

Now I'm off to worry about how much money an arbitrator can give Derek Roy, our shrimpy (now) second line center who prefers to be prone to the ice rather than skaking on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad