News Article: Sabres Ranked Top Prospect Pool

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The Athletic ranked the Sabres the top prospect pool. If you are like me, this isn’t surprising, or exciting. Feels like we’ve been down this road a lot. That said, this has some glowing write ups on our players.

My main disagreement with the author is that I would put UPL and Samuelson in the third tier with Portillo, Rosen, and Johnson. Instead, he has them in tier 4. I would also put Quinn ahead of Krebs. Hard to argue against Quinn given his season.

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
The Athletic ranked the Sabres the top prospect pool. If you are like me, this isn’t surprising, or exciting. Feels like we’ve been down this road a lot. That said, this has some glowing write ups on our players.

My main disagreement with the author is that I would put UPL and Samuelson in the third tier with Portillo, Rosen, and Johnson. Instead, he has them in tier 4. I would also put Quinn ahead of Krebs. Hard to argue against Quinn given his season.

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres

Not really. Eichel/Reinhart and then Dahlin carried our "prospect pool" at times, but it was never as good as our current one during any point in the rebuild, and not really close. This time though instead of literally nothing on the team or close to nothing, We have Dahlin, Cozens, Mitts, Jokiharju, and some good mid-20s pieces in Tuch, Thompson, VO, to go along with an absolutely stacked pool.

The kicker is that we're adding a ~top 5 pick again, two more late 1st rd picks, and a high 2nd (and three more next year) at the draft. Oh and we still have prime Dahlin to look forward to while surrounded by talent.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not really. Eichel/Reinhart and then Dahlin carried our "prospect pool" at times, but it was never as good as our current one during any point in the rebuild, and not really close. This time though instead of literally nothing on the team or close to nothing, We have Dahlin, Cozens, Mitts, Jokiharju, and some good mid-20s pieces in Tuch, Thompson, VO, to go along with an absolutely stacked pool.

The kicker is that we're adding a ~top 5 pick again, two more late 1st rd picks, and a high 2nd (and three more next year) at the draft. Oh and we still have prime Dahlin to look forward to while surrounded by talent.

NHL farm system rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres

Time is a flat circle.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Its a different writer (Pronman) with a different methodology. It doesn’t dispute that poster.

Pronman ranks based heavily on top prospects and little credit or demerits are given for the quality of depth. He also ranks an organizations top 10 players U23. That #1 ranking is mostly due to Dahlin and Mitts. Pronman has tiers; Special, Elite, High end, Very good, Legit, Have a chance, etc.

Pronman’s tier breakdown for our 2018 prospect pool has only 2 prospects in the top 4 tiers.

Special -> Dahlin
Elite —-> Mitts
High end -> No one
Very good -> No one
Legit ——-> Nylander, Guhle
Have a chance -> Asplund, Davidsson, Laaksonen, Ullmark, Oloffson, Samuelsson, UPL

Its a sizable drop off from the top two prospects to the next three (Nylander/Guhle/Asplund) who make up the top 5.

Proman’s top 10 players U23 in August of 2018.

1. Eichel
2. Dahlin
3. Mitts
4. Risto
5. Sam
6. Nylander
7. Tage
8. Guhle
9. Asplund
10. Davidsson.

By comparison Wheelers tiers for our prospects (his are team specific) and his view of the overall group.

Top tier -> Power
2nd tier -> Krebs/Quinn/Levi/Peterka
3rd tier -> Rosen/Johnson/Portillo
4th -> Samuelsson/Kisakov/Poltapov/Nadeau/Laaksonen/Rousek

The top 5 of this group is essentially (1) Dahlin and (4) Mitts.

Wheeler: “Those first two tiers define the Sabres pool but don’t sleep on some of the names further down either”

Wheeler doesn’t have a top 10 players U23. But the players to pick from would include; Cozens, Dahlin, Joker, Samuelsson, Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Power, Johnson, UPL, Levi, Portillo and a few of the other recents draft picks.

The current crop of under 23 options are a lot better than back then, even with Jack/Sam in the mix.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
stanley-nhl.gif

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad