Sabres off season 2018-19

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Sabres have had an awesome off season so far! ***Updated this from a previous post I made.
Thought this thread could cover anything off season related which has been more fun than the regular season.

Signed Oglevie
Signed Borgen
Signed Olofsson
Resigned Nelson
WIN DAHLIN LOTTERY
Signed Pilut
Upgrade SJ draft pick from 2nd to 2019 - 1st*** (lottery protected or 2020) with Kane signing.
Signed Asplund***

Delete Joefsson
Delete Antipin
Delete Georges

Now we need to:

Change to the Winter Classic jersey
Change the goal song to start a fresh vibe
Name Eichel captain
Obtain a goalie for Sabres and Rochester
+ sign Reinhart to a long term deal
Obtain a #3/4 RHD
Obtain a speedy Top 6 winger.
Delete one of Okposo, Pomer, Bogo
Trade either/both Larsson, Girgs

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I like the remaining list.

My one add would be “fine a way to cheaply obtain a high potential winger for Eichel”

I’m looking at Anthanasiou, Bennett, Domi.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Speedy top 6 wing, #1 goalie, and top 4 D.

Doable.

I think a package of McCabe and Larsson/Girgensons is going to be more valuable than we think. Say what you want about McCabe but he is a cheap 20 minute D that was highly thought of as a prospect and has decent advanced stats on a bad team.

Larsson/Girgensons can provide a center needy team some bottom 6 center depth.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There definitely should be some notable change.

This team was 31st in both look and statistics. You can’t ice that full group another season.

Reactions: jBuds

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I think there will be major moves. Botterill has said multiple times this group needs to change.

Botterill also stated at the trade deadline that he had set up some future discussions/trades if you will.
Having said that, who knows how much winning the lottery has changed that need.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Botterill also stated at the trade deadline that he had set up some future discussions/trades if you will.
Having said that, who knows how much winning the lottery has changed that need.

I don't think winning the lottery will change much in Botterill's mind. He specifically said this group isn't working.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think there will be major moves. Botterill has said multiple times this group needs to change.

He said he would look at changing some of the core players.

People took that as he would move at least one core player. But, that's not what he said.

Botterill promises change at end-of-season press conference

Changing the core is on the table

Botterill said back at the trade deadline that roster change would be imminent in the offseason. Some of that will come from within, with many of the players who came up from Rochester throughout the season expected to challenge for roster spots in the fall.

That said, Botterill also didn't rule out moving some of the players who currently comprise the team's core.

"When you finish where we were, you have to look at everything," he said. "That means looking at even changing up some of our core players. From a free agent standpoint, we'll be involved in free agency. But I'm a believer that you just can't build a team just through free agency. It has to come from within our organization."

He talked about needing to build from within the organization as something that had to happen and changing up a core player, or core players, as something to consider.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good to see Botts is doing something and getting lucky, but outside of Dahlin, I don't see anything that moves the needle competitively enough for the Sabres to get out from last place.

Signed Oglevie - I like the signing. Should be compete with Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and Smith
Signed Borgen - Like the signing of this Sabres prospect. Should help Rochester
Signed Olofsson - Like the potential of this 7th round pick, but should spend time in Rochester
Resigned Nelson - Hopefully he carries over his play from last season and doesn't regress again
WIN DAHLIN LOTTERY - Out of Buffalo's hands. Got lucky
Signed Pilut - I like it, but it will remain to be seen if this is another Antipin or something more. I fear Housley will look at Pilut like he looked at Antipin.
Upgrade SJ draft pick from 2nd to 2019 - 1st*** (lottery protected or 2020) with Kane signing.
Signed Asplund*** - Out of Sabres hands. Got lucky Kane wanted to stay there.

IMO, I want to see more movement within the cap we have tied up in horrible players(Pommers, Bogo, Moulson,) and maybe Okposo, immediate improvement of talent for the middle 6 players of the team, and improvement in our 4th line as well before I want to label the offseason a success. Then you have the wild card of Taylor and Housley being able to to use them successfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad