Rumor: Sabres not buying out anyone

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess Moulson will stick with the Kings’ AHL affiliate in Ontario, since that’s where he played last season. Plus, him and Jonathan Quick are brother-in-laws.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
No point wasting cap space in the next few years. Moulson only has 1 year left and they have cap space. Makes sense.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I guess there isn't really a need to buy these guys out. We're not against the cap, contract limit and we don't have a bunch of RFA's to sign. That said, none of these guys that should have been bought belong on the roster. If Moulson is in camp this fall, or Pominville takes a spot that could go to a rookie, Botterill is a fool.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I guess there isn't really a need to buy these guys out. We're not against the cap, contract limit and we don't have a bunch of RFA's to sign. That said, none of these guys that should have been bought belong on the roster. If Moulson is in camp this fall, or Pominville takes a spot that could go to a rookie, Botterill is a fool.
Pominville can definitely play in the bottom 6....just keep him away from the top 6.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I thought Moulson would be bought out but I am glad he's not.

This is the last year of his deal and it would have hardly saved Buffalo anything on the cap anyway, while costing them like $650k next year.

Just bury him in the minors again and get the deal off the books after this year. Or trade him with 50% retained for a conditional 7th (if there's any takers, which is probably a long shot even at $2.5M).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pominville can definitely play in the bottom 6....just keep him away from the top 6.
No, he absolutely can't. People need to stop thinking that you can stick washed up ex-60 point players on the bottom 2 lines and it's suddenly acceptable. Pominville contributes nothing at this point in his career and did f*** all away from Eichel last season. He's done.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I didn't get much of a reception why I suggested something built around Moulson for Hossa. Hossa is owed 1 million per for 3 years and carries a 5.275 caphit each year. I don't know that the cap ever makes any difference to Buffalo during those 3 years as they really have no one to sign this year (Reinhart and Lehner get something....but certainly nothing earth shattering), lose Pomminville's 5.6 next Summer and then Bogosian's 5.142 the following Summer all with a ton of capspace. I know Pegula is not hurting for money and can afford to just write a check, but at some point paying Hossa a million per year for 3 years is better then paying Moulson 5 in the next 9 months. Hawks can bury Moulson in the AHL and save 1.3 off the cap and not have to jump through the LTIR hoops the next couple of Summers with Hossa. Maybe expand it to include Beaulieu who is owed 2.4 and has no chance of playing time with Dahlin coming as a LHD with McCabe & Scandella already in front of him and Antipin & Guele much cheaper depth option. Beaulieu has the double whammy of decent chunk of money for a guy that really was not good last year, and not much of a chance to see icetime.

I suggested retain some on Moulson, and move him and Beaulieu for Hossa's contract and a midround pick. Hawks gain some cap space if both are buried in the AHL and have the ability to gain more either through buying out Beaulieu, adding a little sweetener (late round pick or marginal prospect) if necessary to give Beaulieu away. Maybe the Hawks have an option of moving a LHD in a separate deal having an overpriced Beaulieu as a depth reclamation project.

If the Sabres don't see themselves pushing the cap (especially the next 2 seasons because you have the option of doing LTIR gymnastics in year 3 if you somehow absolutely had to or at that point, the Hossa deal is crazy easy to deal to a cap basement team with only a million to get 5.275 in cap toward the floor), this cheaper then paying their salaries or buying them out and you pick up an asset instead of Beaulieu realistically being worth nothing at this point (as well as having no spot on your roster).

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Probably for the best. Just play the overpriced guys down the line up, scratch them, or waive them. Glad the new management isn’t trying to do a quick fix.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No, he absolutely can't. People need to stop thinking that you can stick washed up ex-60 point players on the bottom 2 lines and it's suddenly acceptable. Pominville contributes nothing at this point in his career and did **** all away from Eichel last season. He's done.
well unless we sign a better bottom 6 wingers we currently don't have 4 better in the organization atm. He can obviously still score at a decent rate for a bottom

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Correct move. And Lord All Mighty, looking at the Sabres influx of youth with talent being injected from all over, especially Sweden, they are in the perfect spot to ride out these last 3 or so bad contracts with no fear of buyouts.
It's been a rough half dozen years for the Sabres, but it appears as though they are coming out of it and entering a new era. They have a hell of a lot of talent already that is young, this draft is only going to significantly add to that. Scary team in the future for sure.

Reactions: I Like Eich

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Well, the way I see it is he's not playing top 6. Your top 3 centers are Eichel, ROR & Middlestadt. Mitt's line should be all about youth and speed unless you want Pominville playing there and killing that line's momentum so he can get his 12-14 goals for the year. That leaves the 4th line. Buffalo is in dire need of a young energy line and we've got kids in Rochester plus Asplund that can do this. Unless you're ok with sitting a younger, faster player that can fit an energy role in order to dress Pominville, I don't see that he has a place in the lineup.

Poms would make a great player coach in Rochester and we could call him up occasionally for injuries. He had a great career but keeping him in the lineup does nothing to actually improve the team.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I thought Moulson might be bought out, would cost us on the cap 3.66m this year and 666k next year if he was, or 5m this year only if we didn't buy out. So not a huge ordeal either way, I'm fine with it either way. We're not about to build Rome overnight, we still need at least 1-2 years to really round out our entire roster to hopefully be competing for and in the playoffs.

The guy I was keeping my eye on was Bogosian, because that would be a significant move. On the books for 5.142m for two more years including this upcoming season, would've cost 1.142m for two years and 2.0m for two more years following that if we bought him out today.

I know we've been struggling for awhile and all wanna turn this roster over as fast as possible to see some positive results for once, myself included, and I am not a fan of Bogosian whatsoever (you're basically paying for him to be on IR half the year), but I think the smart move is to wait one more year on him.

Maybe with a reduced role, we get lucky and he stays healthy, and is more productive for us. And if not... I'd want to buy him out before next season. The cost to do so is much cheaper (1.142m for one year, 2.0m for one year after that)

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I didn't get much of a reception why I suggested something built around Moulson for Hossa. Hossa is owed 1 million per for 3 years and carries a 5.275 caphit each year. I don't know that the cap ever makes any difference to Buffalo during those 3 years as they really have no one to sign this year (Reinhart and Lehner get something....but certainly nothing earth shattering), lose Pomminville's 5.6 next Summer and then Bogosian's 5.142 the following Summer all with a ton of capspace. I know Pegula is not hurting for money and can afford to just write a check, but at some point paying Hossa a million per year for 3 years is better then paying Moulson 5 in the next 9 months. Hawks can bury Moulson in the AHL and save 1.3 off the cap and not have to jump through the LTIR hoops the next couple of Summers with Hossa. Maybe expand it to include Beaulieu who is owed 2.4 and has no chance of playing time with Dahlin coming as a LHD with McCabe & Scandella already in front of him and Antipin & Guele much cheaper depth option. Beaulieu has the double whammy of decent chunk of money for a guy that really was not good last year, and not much of a chance to see icetime.

I suggested retain some on Moulson, and move him and Beaulieu for Hossa's contract and a midround pick. Hawks gain some cap space if both are buried in the AHL and have the ability to gain more either through buying out Beaulieu, adding a little sweetener (late round pick or marginal prospect) if necessary to give Beaulieu away. Maybe the Hawks have an option of moving a LHD in a separate deal having an overpriced Beaulieu as a depth reclamation project.

If the Sabres don't see themselves pushing the cap (especially the next 2 seasons because you have the option of doing LTIR gymnastics in year 3 if you somehow absolutely had to or at that point, the Hossa deal is crazy easy to deal to a cap basement team with only a million to get 5.275 in cap toward the floor), this cheaper then paying their salaries or buying them out and you pick up an asset instead of Beaulieu realistically being worth nothing at this point (as well as having no spot on your roster).

Pegula would rather have the cap space than the money. For being a small market, the Pegulas have no problem paying whatever it takes to make the team better. He's not going to take $5 million in cap space for 3 year just to save a couple million in real dollars. He's paying ex-coaches more than Melnyk wants to pay in salary for his entire team.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

He absolutely cannot play in the bottom 6.

The only thing Pominville can do is play the PP and arrive 15 seconds late to the offensive zone while playing with Eichel

Not buying him out is pure incompetence.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Only buyout that makes sense for us is Beaulieu but even so he can be a decent 7/8
If by "decent" you mean really bad, I agree. He might have been the worst defenceman in the league last season. He was worst defenceman on the Sabres last season and the Sabres were pretty much the denfence in the league. He's awful. He needs to be gone. At least in Rochester

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I thought Moulson might be bought out, would cost us on the cap 3.66m this year and 666k next year if he was, or 5m this year only if we didn't buy out. So not a huge ordeal either way, I'm fine with it either way. We're not about to build Rome overnight, we still need at least 1-2 years to really round out our entire roster to hopefully be competing for and in the playoffs.

The guy I was keeping my eye on was Bogosian, because that would be a significant move. On the books for 5.142m for two more years including this upcoming season, would've cost 1.142m for two years and 2.0m for two more years following that if we bought him out today.

I know we've been struggling for awhile and all wanna turn this roster over as fast as possible to see some positive results for once, myself included, and I am not a fan of Bogosian whatsoever (you're basically paying for him to be on IR half the year), but I think the smart move is to wait one more year on him.

Maybe with a reduced role, we get lucky and he stays healthy, and is more productive for us. And if not... I'd want to buy him out before next season. The cost to do so is much cheaper (1.142m for one year, 2.0m for one year after that)

No reason to buyout Moulson.... burying him the AHL saves ~1 million, while buying him out saves ~1.3 million... but adds future dead cap space...

Creating 300k in additional cap space in 2018-19, is not worth losing ~600k cap space in 2019-20

Last edited:

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny

No interest in Hossa's contract unless Chicago wants to take Okposo's. We won't be a cap team next year and probably won't be a cap team the year after but by 20/21, we should be all in and I don't want dead cap space by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->