Sabres livid over Sundin hit in Game 2 loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a game that saw the Boston Bruins jump out to an early lead, only to be cut back by the Sabres, before finishing with a couple of late goals to seal a 6-3 win, forcing Sabres coach Craig McTavish to drag goalie Roman Turek, who had been awesome before giving up the only goal of the game (off 39 shots) scored just as Pavel Bure left the penalty box in a 1-0 OT loss in game 1.

But nobody in Buffalo wanted to talk about the result. No, the topic of conversation was focused squarely around an incident involving Sabres forward Adam Deadmarsh, who was the victim of one of the most atrocious hits in recent HFNHL playoff history. The culprit? Mats Sundin.

That's right, Mats Sundin. The guy who has been a leader on and off the ice for his team, regardless of where he's played. The guy who spends most of his time worried about people doing that to him, simply because he's as talented as he is. But given the chance to put a key player from another team into the boards (and hospital) Sundin didn't hesitate, not even for a second, and the reprocussions of this single action could blow the entire series apart.

Moments after digging the puck out of the corner and getting it to on of his defencemen, Adam Deadmarsh was viciously checked by Sundin who was steaming in from behind, and didn't even hesitate before driving the unsuspecting Deadmarsh into the boards. Deadmarsh collapsed on the ice, and was unconcious for some time, causing him to be rushed to hopsital for tests. Things are still very uncertain for the veteran right winger, who is almost certain to miss the rest of the playoffs (even if the Sabres made it to the cup) and could see his career in jepoardy.

Judging by the somber mood in the locker room, the Sabres players were clearly distressed by the event, and a reasonably large number had something to say, particularly about what to expect in the upcoming games.

"It was an appauling hit. Mats' a veteran out there, he should know better. For a guy who's not considered a dirty player, that was one of the worst hits I've ever seen. It eminds me of the Lemieux on Draper hit a few years ago in the Western Conference Finals! What makes me worse, and this makes me sick to my stomach, is that he didn't even get any kind of suspension for it!" said All-Star Shawn Bates, the other major fowards (next to Deadmarsh) in this year's playoff run.

"People criticised us all year for not having an enforcer up front." Said youngster Scott Hartnell. "That didn't really bother us and we did well as we were. However, if Boston thinks that they can start taking out our key guys because we don't have a 6'5 goon on our team, then they'll get a nasty surprise! There's a few guys that will need to look out in the upcoming games in the series!"

Expect for League officials to be at Game 3 in Buffalo, particlarly given the likely hostile crowd will probably fire up the players even more.

One thing's for certain. This is going to be one interesting series...even if the results don't make things very exciting.

That's all...for now.

Buffalo Bill
Hockey Editor for The Buffalo News

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Chuzwazza said:
But nobody in Buffalo wanted to talk about the result. No, the topic of conversation was focused squarely around an incident involving Sabres forward Adam Deadmarsh, who was the victim of one of the most atrocious hits in recent HFNHL playoff history. The culprit? Mats Sundin.

Sundin felt bad for what happened to Deadmarsh, but he did not apologize for the hit. In fact, the overwhelming opinion around the league and media was that the hit should not have been called boarding as Deadmarsh actually was sideways when Sundin nailed him. Deadmarsh even turned to see him coming right before the hit. However, due to the obvious obliteration of Deadmarsh ( who was fragile to start with ), most experts agree that the refs felt they had no choice but to call a game misconduct on Sundin - even if was not deserved. Scott Stevens was interviewed out west in Calgary, and stated: "I saw the hit on the highlight reel. The refs felt they needed to call a significant penalty because Deader got injured on the hit. In my experience, I've made that hit a hundred times, and I've generally only been called when the player on the receiving end has gone down - and usually gone down with a concussion. In my opinion, that wasn't a dirty hit and Mats certainly didn't deserve a game misconduct. Deader even turned to see it coming. He should have moved. Instead he paid the price."

Bobby Orr
Boston Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad