GDT: Sabres@Leafs 7 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DZNoXUJXcAAFeiY.jpg:large

Monday game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs are chasing a franchise-best 46th win.

Monday game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

reinhart.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Sabres forward Sam Reinhart has scored 20 goals in two of his first three full NHL seasons. (Jeffrey T. Barnes / The Associated Press)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Sun., March 25, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN 4
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Reinhart vs Nylander
Sabres forward Sam Reinhart, chosen second overall in the 2014 draft, has hit the 20-goal mark for the second time in three seasons. The Leafs’ William Nylander, chosen eighth that year, scored his 17th of the season Saturday night. Reinhart has five more career points than Nylander (133-128) but he has played 64 more NHL games.
NEED TO KNOW
The Sabres went 0-4-0 over a six-day stretch last week and were outscored 16-2 despite outshooting their opponents, 144-108, and out-attempting them, 261-202 … Buffalo’s team shooting percentage has fallen to 7.4 per cent, last in the NHL ... The Leafs are going for a franchise- record 46th win. The Sabres have won at least 46 eight times — including a team-best 53 in 2006-07 — since joining the league in 1970-71 ... Jack Eichel leads the Sabres with 54 points despite playing just 60 games. He had 57 points in 61 games last season.
UP NEXT
Wednesday, vs. Florida, 7:30 p.m.

Game Day: Sabres at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Game Day: Sabres at Maple Leafs

BUFFALO SABRES AT TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Monday, 7 p.m.. Air Canada Centre
TV: TSN4; RADIO: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
C Auston Matthews vs. C Jack Eichel
Eichel’s high ankle sprain injury limited them to four meetings and Matthews is big on facing his off-ice pal. “It makes for a tough matchup,” Matthews said. “I know him very well, he’s very competitive so you don’t want to lose to one another It should be a good battle. You want to see really good players like him be healthy. It’s good to see him back.”
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
SHARP KNIVES
The Leafs had a scare from Detroit on Saturday, the eliminated Red Wings giving Toronto all it could handle with its youth element and good goaltending. Not taking the Sabres lightly, given the split of the first two games earlier this month in Buffalo, is vital.
HOMING IN
The Leafs are nearing unprecedented success at home, yet were forced to battle uphill because Detroit grabbed momentum. However with a record of 35-6-3 when they get the first goal, a quick start and lift from the fans is essential. A chance to celebrate a franchise milestone against an old rival will fuel the crowd. Where Toronto has won 13 in a row at the ACC, Buffalo has 11 home wins, period.
EICH LIKES LEAFS
Jack Eichel has nine points in seven games against the Leafs, while Auston Matthews potted three goals against the Sabres in his first five games last year. This is a game Eichel badly wanted to get back for and as hard as the Leafs are to match up against, he will be a handful for Matthews or whomever the Leafs have at centre.
SHOT CLOCK
In the past four games, the Sabres have outshot opponents 144-108 and out-attempted them 261-202, yet scored just twice for a 1.4% percentage. That does not bode well, especially with goalie Frederik Andersen getting the better of them since he joined the Leafs.
KADRI COMING ON
James van Riemsdyk is the hottest Leaf, with 11 points in the past six games, but Nazem Kadri had the winning goal on Saturday and the Leafs are 31-5-1 when he gets a point. Kadri also had three of Toronto’s 19 giveaways versus the Wings.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews William Nylander
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
Andreas Johnsson Tomas Plekanec Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
Roman Polak Travis Dermott
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
SICK BAY
F Leo Komarov
SABRES GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Scott Wilson Ryan O’Reilly Sam Reinhart
Zemgus Girgensons Jack Eichel Jason Pominville
Benoit Pouliot Evan Rodigues Nick Baptiste
Jordan Nolan Johan Larsson Kyle Okposo
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Marco Scandella Rasmus Ristolainen
Casey Nelson Brendan Guhle
Victor Antipin Josh Gorges
GOALIES
Linus Ullmark
Robin Lehner
SICK BAY
G Chad Johnson
D Zach Bogosian
D Nathan Beaulieu
D Jake McCabe
D Justin Falk
F Justin Bailey
F Jacob Josefson
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 23.3% (3rd)
Buffalo 17.1% (25th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 82.5% (T-8th)
Buffalo 78.1% (23rd)

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hope we keep the streak going. Have to not underestimate the Buffalo team and Eichel.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Would be nice to keep winning. Mainly to head into the playoffs on a high note but it would also be nice to stay at 6th overall. We've been 6th for a while now but with only 3 less points than we have now we'd be 9th, just one point ahead of 10th. And yes, I know our overall place in the standings doesn't mean much at this point but still, when was the last time we finished as high as 6th overall? When Nixon was president? Before the first expansion draft? :laugh:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's hard to believe that this team is on the verge of setting a franchise record for wins in a regular season. It's a true testament to our management group, coaching staff, and scouting department.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I'd love to see a complete blowout tonight. I am fully embracing the Leafs current position relative to Buffalo/Montreal/Ottawa. No need for Martin, burn them with speed.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
It's hard to believe that this team is on the verge of setting a franchise record for wins in a regular season. It's a true testament to our management group, coaching staff, and scouting department.

I wonder how much of it has to do with ties not existing anymore so every game must be a win or a loss. It just seems weird to me that in 100+ years no team is going to have had as many wins as this team. I guess more games or played now too.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Would be nice to keep winning. Mainly to head into the playoffs on a high note but it would also be nice to stay at 6th overall. We've been 6th for a while now but with only 3 less points than we have now we'd be 9th, just one point ahead of 10th. And yes, I know our overall place in the standings doesn't mean much at this point but still, when was the last time we finished as high as 6th overall? When Nixon was president? Before the first expansion draft? :laugh:
hmmm, 1967 was the last cup given out, with the original six teams. The 1967-1968 season had 12 teams (including the Pittsburgh Penguins which used my hometown of Brantford for its training camp.)
Nixon was elected in 1968, taking office at the start of 1969.
I think we ended up 4th in the 66-67 year, which made us an underdog to win the cup, but that is just from memory.
Looked it up, we were 3rd.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Ehhh finishing 10th would mean drafting 4 spots better in every round

Wouldn't be the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->