Rumor: Sabres interested in bringing in Swedish National Team coach Rikard Grönborg

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Phil losing say on things behind the scenes is the most encouraging piece of evidence that Botts is learning.
I joked after the lottery that Buffalo better get some damn good translators in here to make sure Dahlin (and to a lesser extent, Pilut) doesn't end up in the press box because of some communication break down with coach Philz, a la Antipin.

This is literally the best translator for the situation that money can buy. I hope Botts makes it happen.

Reactions: Mitts888

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The article says that Sabres and Hurricanes have asked for his number. He also states that "both those teams have head coaches and that is the only position that interests me".
I'm not a super fan of Grönborg, he's not a bad coach and certainly gives the impression that he handles players way better than Housley - we haven't had so many players say yes to playing for the national team since the Sundin/Forsberg era. But he comes across as a bit of a smooth talker.
If we're talking swedes my favourite head coach is Roger Rönnberg. He has mastered completely different styles with his different teams and when he was the HC of Luleå they p***** off the whole SHL with their ultra defensive hard working hockey. Think Vegas but way more destructive, it was glorious. He could help a team transition from establishing a good defense to a more flamboyant approach.

Sam Hallam is another good one, but he has the benefit of working for the best GM in the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This was in the Botterill thread was it not?

Yep.

This is maybe even less than a rumour at this point but it says here (in Swedish) that Carolina and Sabres "want to get hold of Grönborg's phone number" (he is the coach of Tre Kronor, the Swedish national team). He says he doesn't know anything about this but that he would only be interested in a head coach position and that as far as he knows both teams already have coaches.

NHL-klubbar uppges jaga Rikard Grönborg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The article says that Sabres and Hurricanes have asked for his number. He also states that "both those teams have head coaches and that is the only position that interests me".
I'm not a super fan of Grönborg, he's not a bad coach and certainly gives the impression that he handles players way better than Housley - we haven't had so many players say yes to playing for the national team since the Sundin/Forsberg era. But he comes across as a bit of a smooth talker.
If we're talking swedes my favourite head coach is Roger Rönnberg. He has mastered completely different styles with his different teams and when he was the HC of Luleå they p***** off the whole SHL with their ultra defensive hard working hockey. Think Vegas but way more destructive, it was glorious. He could help a team transition from establishing a good defense to a more flamboyant approach.

Sam Hallam is another good one, but he has the benefit of working for the best GM in the league.

I like Ronnberg for his work with Frolunda too. :D

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

I assumed Buffalo would be talking to him to fill an assistant coaching position. I doubt the HC job is on the table.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Dahlin, Asplund, Nylander, Ullmark, Olofsson, Davidson, Lehner, Larsson, plus a minor league goalie, we are becoming Sweden west.

Did I miss anyone else?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I joked after the lottery that Buffalo better get some damn good translators in here to make sure Dahlin (and to a lesser extent, Pilut) doesn't end up in the press box because of some communication break down with coach Philz, a la Antipin.

This is literally the best translator for the situation that money can buy. I hope Botts makes it happen.
Aren't swedes usually pretty good at english? And even the ones that aren't they usually don't have much of an accent to them.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

What? lol
Sweden teaches English in their public school system from very early on.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What? lol
Sweden teaches English in their public school system from very early on.
I've seen Dahlin's English speaking/understanding skills in action. There is basic proficiency there, sure, but let's not pretend there won't be communication issues as he transitions his life to North America.

And no, I don't see Phil benching Dahlin due to communication issues. Like I said, it was a joke. Right? Right??

Reactions: joshjull

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I like Ronnberg for his work with Frolunda too. :D
Luleå was more of an achievement. Everyone hated them for their brand of hockey. They had no talent, they just killed the opposition with the most frantic defensive system ever.

His run with Frölunda has been impressive as well. They used to be the Rangers of the SHL but during his tenure they have gone full youth movement. Still disgusted by the team though.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->