Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire data scientist Domenic Galamini Jr.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Do you have a sparknotes?

When the Sabres announced a job opening in their analytics department, Sam Ventura had a feeling the applications would pour in. Did they ever.

“We had over 300 applications, and a lot of those people had master’s degrees and Ph.Ds,” said Ventura, Buffalo’s vice president of hockey strategy and research.

“It was certainly overwhelming to see the amount of excitement to work for the Buffalo Sabres. There were so many applicants who I think would be qualified to work in the NHL, so it was a really challenging process to narrow it down.”

One name rose above the rest. Though Ventura had never met Domenic Galamini Jr., he’d followed his work for years. Galamini is so highly regarded in the analytics community that Ventura was surprised to even see his name on the list.

“When I first talked to him as part of the interview process, I said, ‘Are you sure you actually want to work in the NHL because it’s surprising to me that you’re not already scooped up by another team,’” Ventura said. “I was and still am surprised that he was even available.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot and jc17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad