Sabres fire Don Granato, hire Lindy Ruff as head coach

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I really hope the Sabres can be a playoff side soon, their fans deserve it after pain.

After getting a better coach, the priorities should be:

Get a RHD
Get a vet 3C
Get a good vet backup goalie
Get a 4th line with some size

They have the elite talent there but you can't rely on young guys to become leaders immediately.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Tmac and/or Berube would probably get this team into the playoffs. Too bad they’re not great with young players. Bit of a conundrum.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Curious as to what Oilers fans think how the match would be. We definitely need a coach with a bit more bite. Granato's downfall I think was his tactics and inability to have players ready to go. He was more of a friend than their coach.

As an Oilers fan, its hard to know how decisions are made. Sometimes it feels like upper management and players have a say in how things go.

The thing I don’t like about Woodcroft is that when things go bad, he doesn’t have a ton of answers. Its a lot of positivity, we need to take care of our day etc.

I personally don’t think he would be a good fit for you guys.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yeah that tracks.

Sabres need a coach that can establish a high standard and is able to enforce it for a whole season. They need somebody to mold these talented players into winners.

Reactions: johan f

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Tmac and/or Berube would probably get this team into the playoffs. Too bad they’re not great with young players. Bit of a conundrum.
Adams said he does not want to hear that the team is "young" anymore. Feels it's an excuse. Maybe he believes the team can handle a coach like Berube?

Reactions: BB79

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I'd love to see Berube. Question is, does any legitimate NHL quality coach want to work for Pegula and Co.? It seems like they have an awful reputation around the league at this point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd love to see Berube. Question is, does any legitimate NHL quality coach want to work for Pegula and Co.? It seems like they have an awful reputation around the league at this point
It seems like a career graveyard for coaches and management. Most coaches have big enough egos they overlook this stuff though. No one Pegula has hired has become a head coach or GM again, and Kruger and Tim Murray haven't done anything since. The others are either assistant coaches in the NHL or a head coach in the AHL, and Botterill is an AGM.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
It seems like a career graveyard for coaches and management. Most coaches have big enough egos they overlook this stuff though. No one Pegula has hired has become a head coach or GM again, and Kruger and Tim Murray haven't done anything since. The others are either assistant coaches in the NHL or a head coach in the AHL, and Botterill is an AGM.

7 coaches in 27 years.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Several posts indicating Granato was the six highest tenured coach in the league when let go. What does that suggest? Imo The club has issues in its core players. They need core guys who enjoy playing winning hockey.
Like Reinhart, ROR, and Eichel they won nothing with the Sabres on and they were on the team together for years..... you can't just whine about the core players you have to get some actual capable vets at forward and on the backend instead of getting mostly guys nobody wants that are 4th line or 3rd pairing players most teams that are successful have actually acquired vets who are big contributors to the team while the Sabres have sat with one of the lowest salary team of young players for a while now.

So stop repeating yourself about core players when management needs to bring in more than just hoping the youth turns out the way they want.

Reactions: MiddleEarth

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Unfair comment that he doesn't make trades.

He did trade away our best center three times over in exchange for futures. Eichel, Reinhart and Mittelstadt. 😭
Calling Mitts our best center when Cozens and Thompson have had much better peaks than him is kind of ridiculous and Cozens is only 23.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sabres fans, I will do it. I will coach your team. I once coached the Detroit Lions to a Super Bowl appearance in a video game, which is one more Super Bowl appearance than they have in real life, how hard can this job possibly be?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The problem is we can't just instantly fire and replace the team. So what would you suggest we do? Stick with the bad coach just because there have been coaches before him?
Change coaches and a couple key core players. Out with guys who don’t enjoy playing the way needed to win and in with guys who do enjoy that style of play.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Change coaches and a couple key core players. Out with guys who don’t enjoy playing the way needed to win and in with guys who do enjoy that style of play.
I would argue those core guys who don't enjoy playing the way needed to win might just not know how to play that way due to bad coaching. A lot of these guys haven't played under many coaches aside from Ganato. If we are talking Skinner here, I think every single poster on the Sabres board would love to jettison him but the reality is he has a full NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad