Sabres beat Haks in bitter battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the title is not a typo. Last night, in front of just under 14000 fans at the United center, the Buffalo Sabres and the Chicago Blackhawks fought tooth and nail (and stick) in one of the most vicious games in recent memory.

Hawks GM Dryden Lewis has talked up the brewing rivalry between the two clubs, and has been working the media all week in a desperate attempt to get a reasonable attendance at a game this season. Hoping that hyping up a rivalry with a club run by a GM who's never backed down form a chance to get some publicity and earn a few extra $$$, the plan backfired with Sabres GM Joshua Pitt announced 2 days before the game "I don't know what the guys in Chicago are thinking...this isn't a rivalry, they're not at a competetive enough level with us to make this a rivalry. We're more worried avout the Jackets, who we do have a rivalry with!"

The words were apparently barbs to the Hawks players, who played qhite chippy all night. The Sabres, a team that is rumoured to be one of the most skilled, but softest teams in the league were happy to rspond with their typically controlled, but agitating style of play.

Things were moving along smoothly at the end of the 1st, with the Sabres 1-0 up on a Brett Hull tally, but in the 2nd, the haws took things to another level physically. Ciernik picked up a penalty a few minutes in, with Konowalchuk getting another about 4 minutes after that but It was an incident that happened just after the half way mark of the game that changed were things suddenly got out of hand.

In a frightenly reckless act, Blackhawk Corey Sarich hooked Brad Bombardir from behind. The only problem was that it was his head that was being hooked. Sarich's stick made contact with Bombadir's eye, and severly cut his face in the process. Bombardir immediately hit the ice and both benches cleared in what became a full scale shoving match. Fortunately nobody stepped over the line and the game was able to continue without any more madness. That lasted for all of about 5 seconds, as Jay Bouwmeester retaliated but giving Andreas Lilja a shot to the chest, causing the Hawks defenceman to have great difficulty getting to his own bench where he then appeared to have some serious breathing problems.

The Sabres clearly weren't happy with the situation, and made sure that they weren't going to be pushed around. As there is no designated 'enforcer' on the team, everybody got in on the act, with Josef Vasicek picking up a roughing call for a nasty late hit on Alex Tanguay, Jaroslav Spacek and Yannic Perrault picking up cross-checking penalties and Adam Deadmarsh getting nabbed for goalie interference. As almost a secondary story, the Sabres won 5-3, with the Hawks getting all 3 goals on the PP.

After the game, Coach Craig McTavish was clearly upset by the events of the 2nd period, and didn;t hesitate to share his opinions about the situation with the local media. "It's disgraceful." he said. "Its actions like this that give this sport a black eye in the minds of the public. Years ago, nobody wore helmets, and there were less eye injuries back then than there are now. now, the league might have to mandate visors just to protect the majority of players from those few hooligans who should be run out of the league."

When Asked about the 5 game suspension...."5 games!!! 5 freakin games??? that's it? Brads out with damage to his cornea for 6 weeks and that fool gets 5 games? something really has to be done by the league. People want to see hockey being played with some skill. if this keeps up, there will be no skill players leaft in this league...it will basically be the WWF on ice!"

Sabres Players were even less politically correct about the event. "I'm glad he did it! I'm saying it in public right now and I don't care how much the league wants to fine me for saying it, Jay only stopped me from doing what he did by getting there first." Said veteran Adam Deadmarsh.

"I'm proud of him!' said Scott Hartnell. "Us young guys have gotta stick up for ourselves, especially as there really isn't anyone that many see as a genuine physical presence. I think jay standing up for his team-mate like that will only increase his acceptance withthe guys. I thought the 5 game suspension was harsh howerver.

"Make up call" Gm joshua Pitt said. "Flat out plain and simple...a makeup call in the worst way. The league knows it, the fans know it, we know it. The only people who benefit from this are the Chicago Blackhawks. Brad's out for 6 weeks for a vicious action that could have permantly ijured him and affecte his day-to-day life for the as long as he lived and Saric gets the same penalty as jay, who gave Andreas a good shot to get a message across that could see him miss 1 week? no way, don't try and sell me on both suspensions being fair!"

Following the 5-3 win, the Sabres are now only 1 point out of the all important 8th spot in the East. With the recent run the team has been making, the Thrashers (who only 1-2 weeks ago were thought to be untouchable by Sabres fans) in 7th spot might actually be a realistic target for Buffalo.

And while the Sabres battle for a playoff spot in the East, it seems that there are the rumblings of a fueding rivalry that might last for some time.

That's all...for now,

Buffalo Bill
Hockey Editor for The Buffalo News

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chuzwazza said:
That lasted for all of about 5 seconds, as Jay Bouwmeester retaliated but giving Andreas Lilja a shot to the chest, causing the Hawks defenceman to have great difficulty getting to his own bench where he then appeared to have some serious breathing problems.

Jay Bo having a mean streak?? :dunno: What is this world coming too??

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Donga said:
Jay Bo having a mean streak?? :dunno: What is this world coming too??

Bah, chicago's getting a bum rap. Considering we barely take a penalty it's not our fault a bunch of Sabres are babies and get hurt easily. They should have been called for diving and other things. Plus the wimp probably ducked when he was hooked. Probably French Canadian or European and should start wearing a visor.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dryden said:
Bah, chicago's getting a bum rap. Considering we barely take a penalty it's not our fault a bunch of Sabres are babies and get hurt easily. They should have been called for diving and other things. Plus the wimp probably ducked when he was hooked. Probably French Canadian or European and should start wearing a visor.

Now Now Dryden, you don't want to bring the game into disrepute with those racist comments. :teach: :joker:

Dryden said:

Dryden, your new to this whole rivalry thing right? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad