Injury Report: Sabres '17-18 Injury Report: Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ullmark getting hit and getting a concussion makes me wonder again why goalies still use those masks. Or why there isn't research into better protection for their heads. I mean every other part of them is protected beyond belief. I get that there can only be so much done to a helmet to mitigate a puck traveling 80-100mph at their head. But I can't imagine those masks provide as much protection as say the helmet Hasek wore.

@oldgoalie, @Der Jaeger or any other goalies on here, am I wrong thinking this?

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Ullmark getting hit and getting a concussion makes me wonder again why goalies still use those masks. Or why there isn't research into better protection for their heads. I mean every other part of them is protected beyond belief. I get that there can only be so much done to a helmet to mitigate a puck traveling 80-100mph at their head. But I can't imagine those masks provide as much protection as say the helmet Hasek wore.

Thinking about it from a physics point of view getting hit in the cage is probably the worst part. Everywhere else is a bit curved to deflect the force of the blow, where the cage takes the full brunt of it. I also assume that's why Lundqvist butts it with the top of his helmet.

Trying to read up on it, Miller switched from titanium to steel and added more foam into his helmet which made it heavier for him to help protect him from concussions after being hit with a puck. I wonder if switching the cage to something more curvy and less bars would work, if not extra padding n whatnot.

I rang a wrister off my brother's "hasek like mask" and lets just say he was done playing hockey for the day.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

I could never understand why Hasek used the one he did. To me, the bars on those helmet type masks that Hasek, Tretiak wore drove me nuts with interference to my vision. I had to wear one like that for one game after I took a slap shot to the face with my old Jacque Plante/Roger Crozier style mask. After getting stitched up, my eye was so swollen, I couldn't wear the Plante mask. My brother used a cage, as he had to wear glasses when he played. I used his, and it was definitely distracting. The current "cat's eye" cage, has more open area where the bars don't interfere as much. The cat's eye cage part has to be certified to stand up to the NHL shooters. Cheaper/weaker ones would probably break at the welds.
As far as the helmet portion, the old masks used to be custom fit to your head (a plaster "death mask" was taken first to ensure the resin/glass fit all the way around). It sat against your face and head with some stick-on foam pads, and was no help if you took a direct shot to it. The sound made your ears ring, and I'm sure I suffered some minor concussions from those types of shots as well. As Kyndig86 said, the current helmet styles seem to be designed so that it's curved enough to try to move the momentum of the puck hitting at an angle away to reduce the impact. I would think adding foam gets it farther from your head so that any impact is concentrated to the area of the foam pads. But, pads and steel make them heavier, and you are already sweating your ass off wearing one.
Great question, though. I have to believe the safety crews of the NHL have to be constantly looking at advances in this stuff. I'm sure modern composites with Kevlar, etc. help with weight reduction and strength.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I could never understand why Hasek used the one he did. To me, the bars on those helmet type masks that Hasek, Tretiak wore drove me nuts with interference to my vision. I had to wear one like that for one game after I took a slap shot to the face with my old Jacque Plante/Roger Crozier style mask. After getting stitched up, my eye was so swollen, I couldn't wear the Plante mask. My brother used a cage, as he had to wear glasses when he played. I used his, and it was definitely distracting. The current "cat's eye" cage, has more open area where the bars don't interfere as much. The cat's eye cage part has to be certified to stand up to the NHL shooters. Cheaper/less strong ones would probably break at the welds.
As far as the helmet portion, the old masks used to be custom fit to your head (a plaster "death mask" was taken first to ensure the resin/glass fit all the way around). It sat against your face and head with some stick-on foam pads, and was no help if you took a direct shot to it. The sound made your ears ring, and I'm sure I suffered some minor concussions from those types of shots as well. As Kyndig86 said, the current helmet styles seem to be designed so that it's curved enough to try to move the momentum of the puck hitting at an angle away to reduce the impact. I would think adding foam gets it farther from your head so that any impact is concentrated to the area of the foam pads. But, pads and steel make them heavier, and you are already sweating your ass of wearing one.
Great question, though. I have to believe the safety crews of the NHL have to be constantly looking at advances in this stuff. I'm sure modern composites with Kevlar, etc. help with weight reduction and strength.

I don't play goalie but I've worn a full clear shield since the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad