Who is the better defensemen?

• Ghost

• Krug

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1st, Gostisbehere was better than Krug in 2015-2016. Then only reason he was worse in 2016-2017 because of an injury.

Also both are relatively young and are expected to improve. Expecting a under 25 player to regress when their metrics are sustainable is silly. Ghost is currently better and there is no reason to think that will stop.

The reason to think that will stop is the fact that Krug is having an awful season by his standards.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2018 - 1.25 p/60, -0.09 CF%rel, +0.54 GF%rel

2014-2017 - 0.91 p/60, +2.77CF%rel, +3.28GF%rel

His even strength production is up, but his two-way game is nowhere near where it usually is.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I’ll take the player who’s having a better season while being 2 years younger with a lot less NHL experience. Higher upside to boot.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kind of off-topic, but Krug is a bulldog. Just love his style. Think he should be wearing a letter at all times. Makes his mistakes, but he's always emotionally invested in the game. Kind of like you see with Bergeron. Gostisbere is obviously great as well. Though I don't get to see him as much. If you want a #3 offensive defenseman that steps up when the going gets tough, they don't come any better than Torey Krug IMO.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
2018 - 1.25 p/60, -0.09 CF%rel, +0.54 GF%rel

2014-2017 - 0.91 p/60, +2.77CF%rel, +3.28GF%rel

His even strength production is up, but his two-way game is nowhere near where it usually is.

But his actual rate stats are pretty similar. So did he get worse or did the rest of the team get better, and he doesn't stand out as well as before?

Considering Bergeron and Marchand's relative numbers are also worse this year other than GF%, despite most considering them having their best seasons, and Boston jumping huge in the standings, I have to think it's the latter. The best players on a team don't get worse and the team itself gets considerably better. The team simply has better depth than before, and with Krug in particular, the Chara- McAvoy pairing is much better than recent top pairings with Chara, which has sank Krug's relative numbers.

This is always the issue with using relative numbers. Sure, being on a great or terrible team needs to be taken into account somewhat when considering a player's pure rate stats, but more than anything it's only comparing them to the other defenseman pairings. It's why Ghost's relative numbers also need to be put in context as Philly's bottom 3 defensemen are terrible.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But his actual rate stats are pretty similar. So did he get worse or did the rest of the team get better, and he doesn't stand out as well as before?

Considering Bergeron and Marchand's relative numbers are also worse this year other than GF%, despite most considering them having their best seasons, and Boston jumping huge in the standings, I have to think it's the latter. The best players on a team don't get worse and the team itself gets considerably better. The team simply has better depth than before, and with Krug in particular, the Chara- McAvoy pairing is much better than recent top pairings with Chara, which has sank Krug's relative numbers.

This is always the issue with using relative numbers. Sure, being on a great or terrible team needs to be taken into account somewhat when considering a player's pure rate stats, but more than anything it's only comparing them to the other defenseman pairings. It's why Ghost's relative numbers also need to be put in context as Philly's bottom 3 defensemen are terrible.

You bring up very fair points, but last year Boston was nearly a 55% possession team. This year, they're down to just under 54%.

That might explain Krug's drop in relGF% but it doesn't explain the corsi.

Also, last year Krug's corsi was over 57% and now it's just over 54%, so it's not true to say his flat rates are similar. 3% is pretty big, especially when you're over 57%.

In viewings of Krug this year, I just don't think he's been as good. Sometimes players just have down years.

Gostisbehere is awesome but I'd like to see him repeat being better than Krug before I say he's better.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hard to say. If Ghost proves that this year's improvements aren't a fluke then it's him. He's been so god-damn good this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad