Ryan Wilson

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Guig, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guig

Guig Registered User

Does someone have seen him play? He had good stats this year 13g 24a 37p in 68 games in regular season and 4g 5a 9p in 10 playoff games. He has good size 6'1 212. But stats means nothing that's why I'm asking if he is good, and what are his strenght and weakness. Also, where do you think he will be draft? Thanks.

2. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    You'll find some past threads about him here, if you search. I saw him about 20 times this year. He's one of my favourites... as a junior player on my local team. He will get drafted, but I'm not sure how he will really be perceived by the scouting community at large. He has good size and strength, he'll fight, and he has a great shot. He's kind of like a Sheldon Souray or Ed Jovanovski type, in that he can play physical, join the rush and get some offense, but he can be a bit scattered in his own zone or make some bad pinches or get turned around chasing after a guy.

He's not very strong or stable on his skates, which is probably the main scouting knock on him, because otherwise scouts would love a guy who drops the mitts and puts up points like he does. That will probably mean he'll drop to the middle rounds of the draft, unless somebody out there is just in love with him for some reason. And if that happens, folks around here will probably start to think he's a steal, because his numbers in junior will look good, but unless he gets smoother and stronger on his feet he'll have no future in the NHL. I'd certainly look at him starting in the 4th round, and maybe the 3rd if some of the many other good-but-slightly-flawed dmen I like who are out there this year are already gone.

3. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    I was going to respond, but you said everything I would have said, and more. The Souray comparison is a pretty good one, although he obviously doesn't move like Jovanovski. I think part of what plagued him defensively was being asked to do too much. He was on a weak team with very little offence to speak of. When I saw him, I just thought he was playing beyond his natural limits, and it didn't work for him.

4. Brock

Brock Registered User

Home Page:
    Yeah I really don't think he's meant to be a great defensive stalwart. He's an excellent offensive defenseman, but in St Mikes, he was forced into a role where he had to be relied on heavily in both areas and I think he really struggled with it at times.

5. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:

So what is to be expected in the next year or two? How will St. Mike's as a team progress? Will we or should we expect to see Wilson with Team Canada at the WJC in the next couple of years? He seemed to have a good U17 tourney and a good U18 Junior World Cup last year with Canada winning a gold medal.

6. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    Blind Gardien could defenitely provide a better analysis of where the Majors are heading as an club, but they are a strong organization.

In the years when Dave Cameron was the head coach, they were always a very good team. They have some good young guys like the Donati twins and Wilson, and Peters, Lehman and Haskins should all be better next year as 19 year olds. I'd expect Wilson will expected to do more of the same, which is log big minutes, and contribute both physically and offensively. If he can solidify his defensive game and most importantly improve his foot speed and lower body strength, he could be very good.

I'd say he has a shot to play for the WJC team in 2007. Next year he won't get much of a sniff unless he has a major breakthrough. I mean, he's one of so many 87-born guys who have a shot at playing at some point, but it's too early to predict for sure. As I said, Blind Gardien could probably provide paint a better picture though.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  7. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks for your analysis. I could be wrong, as I think I have him down for a WJC camp invite this summer. I guess we'll see.

8. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    Mind you, I never have a very good record at predicting how junior teams will pan out beforehand, but just looking at the fact that the Majors were a basement-dwelling team for the first half of last season, then made about a dozen trades and had one of the best records in the entire league to finish the season... plus upset #1 Mississauga in the first round of the playoffs... they seem to be on the rise. They are going to lose a few players of course, as all junior teams do, but not as many as most teams. They will have a good young core like Hossa mentioned. Guys like Haskins and Lehman have a lot of room to have breakthrough seasons. And with Peters they already have the #1 goalie they need. A lot will depend on who they get back as overagers. I'd expect Cory Vitarelli. If they could somehow get Nathan McIver back, that would be a huge bonus. (Though unexpected as he'll probably be in the Canucks system somewhere).

Wilson should be the go-to guy on offense and the PP for the team. And bear in mind that this was a team which struggled horribly to score through the first half of last season, so his numbers were probably lower than they might have been if he had the scoring talent in front of him for a full season that he should have next year. I'd try to get Ivanov back if I was there, because he was just finally starting to show signs of life when the season ended on him. I think he'd be better off coming back to junior than stepping up to a pro level.

They will need to get some of their bigger depth forwards playing well, and they will need to find depth on defense to round out the lineup (especially if McIver is gone) if they are going to be contenders, probably. It should be possible, but nothing is carved in stone.

My only other concern is that they weren't a very disciplined team. The Donatis had issues in Oshawa, and there was sort of a loose feel to the team at times last year, so I don't really know if they'll come together well for a sustained run if they can't find some real character leadership.
    Agreed. Like my comparisons to Souray before, I think one key for him is to find a perfectly complementary stay-at-home partner to work with. The Majors should really be shopping for that.
    Yeah, it's too early to predict. If he improves his skating, and if the Majors manage to be competitive, who knows, his profile might rise up there again. But there are A LOT of d-men in roughly the same boat as him, who have little kinks here and there to work out, and any of them could be the ones on the WJC teams. My thinking right now is probably not... Bourdon, Staal, Parent look like shoo-ins, and then if you're picking only 4 more from about 20 legit candidates... hmm. The odds probably aren't with him, but who can say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.